What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Allbuffs Coaching Candidate list

Here is an interesting darkhorse:

Mark Banker, Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers, Oregon State

And here is a post-game interview (after TCU loss).

Obviously he knows the Pac-10, recruits in California. Riley is the "offensive guru" and that means Banker has more control over the defense.

I would suspect that most of the staff would remain loyal to Riley, which means Banker could be open to retaining some of the better CU coaches and recruiters (Cabral).

I was pretty disappointed to see Leach mentioned so much for our next coaching hire. I decided to look into TTech's schedule the last few years. Their OOC games are as follows:

2009:
W -- North Dakota
W -- Rice
L -- Houston
W -- New Mexico

2008:
W -- Eastern Washington
W -- Nevada
W -- SMU
W -- Massacheusetts

2007:
W -- SMU
W -- UTEP
W -- Rice
W -- Northwestern State

2006:
W -- SMU
W -- UTEP
L -- TCU
W -- Southeastern Louisiana

2005:
W -- Florida Internation
W -- Sam Houston State
W -- Indiana State

Is it really that hard to get 7 wins a year when you play 3 teams like that every OOC? So all he has to do is win 3-4 of his next 8-9 games to get that record. Wow.......
Couple that with all his baggage and our still rather recent past history of baggage, and he seems to be a pretty terrible hire for CU.

Here is an interesting darkhorse:

Mark Banker, Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers, Oregon State

And here is a post-game interview (after TCU loss).

Obviously he knows the Pac-10, recruits in California. Riley is the "offensive guru" and that means Banker has more control over the defense.

I would suspect that most of the staff would remain loyal to Riley, which means Banker could be open to retaining some of the better CU coaches and recruiters (Cabral).

I did some looking at Pac-12 assistants a few weeks ago, thinking it might be good to get somebody with some Pac-12 flava with this hire. I was disappointed that nobody really blew me away, but Banker did look like one of the more interesting options in that group. Still, I think we can do better...

I'm disappointed nobody has suggested adding Lee Foliaki or Russell Lovett to the list along with Logan.... :lol:

I did some looking at Pac-12 assistants a few weeks ago, thinking it might be good to get somebody with some Pac-12 flava with this hire. I was disappointed that nobody really blew me away, but Banker did look like one of the more interesting options in that group. Still, I think we can do better...

I'm disappointed nobody has suggested adding Lee Foliaki or Russell Lovett to the list along with Logan.... :lol:

If it is Mac, and I think there is a distinct possibility, I would love to see him load up with AC's who have Pac 10 experience, Greg Brown DC at AZ, Matt Lubick at ASU, EB and Embree are a few who leap to mind as possibilities. And yes, I'm sure Lee Foliaki and Russell Lovett would add to the stafff, so I secnd their nomination.

Did anybody see Mac interviewed on 9News last night. He was commenting about how CU landing in the Pac-12 south was a BOOO-NAN-ZAAAA!!

Did anybody see Mac interviewed on 9News last night. He was commenting about how CU landing in the Pac-12 south was a BOOO-NAN-ZAAAA!!

I drink your milkshake USC.

TVBackround_McCartney_SHOW310.jpg

If it is Mac, and I think there is a distinct possibility, I would love to see him load up with AC's who have Pac 10 experience, Greg Brown DC at AZ, Matt Lubick at ASU, EB and Embree are a few who leap to mind as possibilities. And yes, I'm sure Lee Foliaki and Russell Lovett would add to the stafff, so I secnd their nomination.
I'd love to see Matt Lubick on our staff. I really think he's going to be a good coach. Maybe not the HC his old man is, but more of a great AC.

#1 - Coach Mac
#2 - Eric Bieniemy
#3 - Jim McElwain

Not really my personal choices (but not far off), but seems to be the "buzz" (no insider information).

Where is Hankwitz? I'd take him back as DC in a heartbeat.

I don't think he has a lot of warm feelings toward CU right now. I don't think he'll be back for a third stint. Too bad, though. He's a brilliant DC.

I think the HC job should be decided between these four:

Bill McCartney
Andy Ludwig
Greg Brown
Eric Bieniemy

If Mac is hired back then we get a top OC and a top DC that will be "resume building" for the next HC job following Mac.

For the two coordinators and "future HC" jobs, here are my short-lists:
For OC:
Eric Bieniemy
Karl Dorrell (say what you want about his UCLA tenure, he still won there)
Eric Kiesau (incumbent)
Jon Embree
Dave Logan (longshot, but that is why he is 5th on the list)

For DC:
Greg Brown
Chuck Pagano
Brian Cabral
Ken Norton, Jr.

With Mac, EB, and Greg Brown as the top group, I think we would turn things around immediately. It might be hard to keep them all together if we had success, depending upon Mac's time-frame to "re-retire", but I'd rather have that problem then the current one.

If Mac doesn't take the HC job, then I think EB and Greg Brown deserve to be in the HC mix, but the "fear of the unknown" in giving the reigns of the program to a HC who has never even been a full coordinator is unsettling.

Ludwig is a fantastic coach, knows the Pac-10, and has lots of experience for his age. He is a "QB guru" that has an impressive resume in that dept. He would obviously need a top DC but it is hard to guess what contacts he has to bring in the fold. Arizona State would be foolish not to pursue Ludwig if they ****-can Erickson this season.

An Andy Ludwig for HC, Greg Brown for DC combination would be my second favorite option for CU.

Last edited:
My preference is we keep it in the family is EB for Head Coach.

From outside the family, I want Bellotti.

Back