1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Back Of The Ticket

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by tsarbomba, Jul 29, 2014.

1. tsarbomba

tsarbomba One Damn Dirty Ape Club Member

In responding to a post in a different thread, I actually read the back of the season tickets I received for this year. As a helpful reference, I have done my best to type out the disclaimer on the back of the ticket. Some of the language may (or may not) surprise you:
    I would like to point out a few rather startling aspects to this legal boiler-plate:

So, if you make a video of Ralphie's run--you are in violation of the ticket's terms. If you write a blog post or a forum post that describes the game action (a "written depiction") you are in violation of the tickets terms. If you snap a photograph during the "event," you are violating the ticket's terms.

This one isn't surprising, just ironic. Obviously they don't want you to be able to sue if they put your mug upon on BuffVision or the TV broadcast. Fair enough, just ironic in the sense that they don't want you taking any video or photographs of their "event," or even writing about it.

Although I have no problem with law-abiding citizens carrying concealed weapons, a football game is a bad place to do it.

Anyway, there is a lot in there that is interesting, once you actually read it.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Standard stuff.

Obviously, some of the stuff is not strictly enforced. CU is not going to go after someone for taking a picture of Ralphie running and putting it up on a personal Facebook.

3. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Hobby, you need one.

4. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

With regards to #1...I shot footage of Eberhart's game-winning FG vs. OU in '07 from my spot in the student section and posted it on my YouTube account...a couple of months later, the CU Marketing department contacted me and asked if they could use the footage for their season ticket ads, and thus this was born...so much for #1...

[video=youtube;zEJxXfN92YU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEJxXfN92YU&list=UUeTemrMnh7mAtN99BD6jo4Q [/video]

5. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Not to mention, unenforceable. For example, if you are injured due to CU's negligence, you can bet they're going to be held responsible, despite #4.

Also note that the drawing for AB tickets goes against rule #8.

6. Buffnik

I don't think it does. It's not an AB promotion. We buy them as a group of individuals and then we hand them out based the fairest way - a drawing. People do that all the time with tickets, just not usually online.

7. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

If you said "no" to the marketing department's request you might have a different story. They didn't have a problem with it at the time because you allowed them to exploit your footage (for free, I assume).

8. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I agree it's not a promotion, but the way this is written with the "or" clauses it doesn't have to be. But I agree it's arguable, after all it's written by lawyers so they can continue to ream the general public.

9. Buffnik

AB doesn't buy the tickets, though. You don't have to be a paying member of the site to be eligible. There is no "trade purpose". It's more like if my family had 2 tickets and 4 people wanted to go so we drew straws. CU is not trying to prohibit that.

10. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

As long as no one is profiting from it, the university doesn't care

11. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

Exactly why I didn't say no - didn't want to have any possible repercussions from saying no...I didn't ask for anything but a copy of the ad on DVD so I could have it for my records since I did not live in Colorado at the time the ad was aired, and they sent that to me promptly without issues...

12. Buffs@5345'

Buffs@5345' Club Member Club Member

CU like other sporting events does prohibit certain camera equipment from the stands. Generally any camera with a detachable lens is rejected at security. So they don't care if you make a video of Ralphie - they just don't want it to be of saleable quality.

13. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

I think any of us would've done the same. I'm just saying they may have forced the issue a bit under condition #1 if you had said no. OTOH, CU has never struck me as being very heavy handed in enforcing its rights against supporters of the university.

14. tsarbomba

tsarbomba One Damn Dirty Ape Club Member

I have been able to take in a DSLR with a pretty long lens into a game, although not regularly, as it is a pain to carry around. I think that they are really just reserving their rights on this issue, and unless you start selling footage, they are never going to care about it.

15. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

The allbuffs.com ticket drawing does not break rule #8 at all. It's not a promotion. We're not out advertising "come to allbuffs so you can enter to receive tickets". We're not selling them for a profit. We're giving them away.