What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Big 14?

I'd be all for re-starting the Big Eight (records, etc) under that setup. But Baylor is a good school and they've done nothing wrong other than not being a glamor team in the high-profile sports. They've added a lot to other sports so I don't think that'd be fair.

A "Big Eight" with Tech and Baylor would be nice, though we would have to live with smaller TV contracts. Having OU, NU and us in the league would keep the auto bid I'm sure.

I bet the Orange Bowl would fall all over themselves to get the "new" Big 8 champ once again.

Therein lies the rub. If UT leaves, but A&M and OU stay, no TV sets are lost. I think your Houston-centric view of things is skewing your perception. Dallas is equally OU and UT, in my opinion. I think the conference can afford to lose UT and would be better off in the long run if they were gone.

I guess I'm also convinced that Texas can't leave without taking Aggie along. So losing UT means losing A&M in my mind, and that pretty much loses all the TVs in Tejas. Not sure if that's a lead pipe cinch, but it's the scenario that I think is most likely.

I know what you are saying, and I agree. BUT... by my count, the Pac 10 has had two teams make the BCS twice in 14 seasons. That is only one less than the Big XII. Here are BCS appearances by conference:

Big Ten, 21
SEC, 19
Big XII, 17
Pac 10, 16
Big East, 12
ACC, 11
Notre Dame, 3
MWC, 3
WAC, 3

Amazingly, while the BT leads in appearances, they have only put 3 teams in the NCG.

Two teams from the Pac-10 will never be in BCS bowls unless one of them is USC with one loss to the Pac-10 champion. IMO it is much, much harder for the Pac-10 to put two teams into BCS bowls than any other BCS conference, simply due to perception about the Pac and a lack of a championship game, despite them being the only BCS conference to have a full round robin playing every conference foe yearly.

So, if the BCS stays, an expanded Pac has a better seeding with the BCS.

If there is a playoff, then an expanded Pac is still in a good position.

Pac expansion would be good for the Pac no matter what happens with the BCS.

I bet the Orange Bowl would fall all over themselves to get the "new" Big 8 champ once again.

TOTALLY agree. I bet they really miss the huge crowds that we, NU and OU took down there year after year. That bowl absolutely has been hosed in the BCS era.

TOTALLY agree. I bet they really miss the huge crowds that we, NU and OU took down there year after year. That bowl absolutely has been hosed in the BCS era.

That'll happen when you're always getting the ACC and/or the Big East champ. :lol:

The obvious expansion to 14 is for the Longhorns to field two teams instead of one. And since Nebraska is so full of themselves, they should be allowed to have two teams in the north. Duh.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pac10 is not going to making any thing significantly more than the Big12. Reality.

Wouldn't the Pac-12 with CU in that conference have a bigger television footprint than the Big 12 at this point? In addition to the Pac-12 states, we would have Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico's TV markets under the Pac-12's television umberlla.

As for the "new" Big 8, suppose that does happen, would a lot of CU fans be upset about missing out on that? I honestly don't think that would be the case since CU did listen to the Pac-10's offer back in 1994. Over time, we saw the old Big 8 traditions die off so to me, it isn't that big of a deal. We still can play the old Big 8 schools in non conference play.

Wouldn't the Pac-12 with CU in that conference have a bigger television footprint than the Big 12 at this point? In addition to the Pac-12 states, we would have Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico's TV markets under the Pac-12's television umberlla.

NM would fall under the old Big 12 slate here unless UNM goes to the new conference. There are a lot of UT, A&M and surprisingly OU alums in this state. We also have our fair share of *uskers. Little to no CU alums that I've run into as well.

Back