1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Boise offense

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buff_since76, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Buff_since76

Buff_since76 Still a fan... Club Member

I watched about a quarter of the BSU vs OSU game on Saturday night. One of the big items I noticed was how undisciplined the BSU team was. It was part of the way through the 3rd quarter and they already had 9 penalties, and the announcer said their average was 9.5 per game. They would have a first down rush of -3 yards, a false start, and then a tricky little pass play that went for 15 that would create a third and short. It seemed on any given play they could get sacked, fumble, throw a pick 6, get a first down, or score a TD. They were all over the place . In a way I did feel like I was watching the CU offense, except for the whole gain most of the yards lost due to screw ups on second down part.

2. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

First, there is no correlation to penalties and winning. You have to look at the type and timing of penalties - are they penalties for aggressive play or are they just stupid penalties. Plus good teams overcome their penalties - bad teams do not.

I did not watch much of the Boise game but they averaged over 7 yards a play so they must of had a lot of plays when they were not out of sync.

3. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

I don't mind Boise. Before I thought their success cheapened the game, but they consistently beat everyone that lines up against them, big names, big games. At some point, you have to respect that they are no longer lucky. They are good. Their offense seems to steamroll down the field. Moore won't get an NFL sniff, but he is a great college QB.

4. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

There were a lot of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, mouthy little punks aren't they?

5. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

I still think they are largely a product of their schedule. A B12/P12/SEC/B10 type schedule would wear them down, IMO.

That's just one more reason I want a playoff. If they could beat 2-3 big teams in a row then I would STFU about their schedule. I'm still pissed they sent us Hawkins, too.

6. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I am very slowly coming around to the notion that TCU, Utah, BSU are really pretty good teams. They do line up and beat very respectable competition. I do also think that if they had to play a full schedule of BCS teams, there record would not be what is is now. You do have to give them credit though, even if they are still, to a degree, a product of their schedule.

Penalties don't bother me so much if they are of the unnecessary roughness/aggressive PI/roughing the passer sort. I am not advocating Miami style thuggery, but aggressive hard hitting will draw some of those type of penalties, the illegal procedure, delay of game, illegal subtituion penalties are what kills you...and that seems to be a HaLk coached team specialty.

7. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i tend to agree; although, one could point to Utah's Pitt win as fairly diminished.....Miami beats Pitt 31-3. and Boise's W over Va Tech takes a hit with VT's loss to James Madison.

8. CUBUFF80

I have no idea what James Madison's record is, but why not give them a shot if they run the table? They beat Va Tech, which seems to qualify the BSU Fraud Boys.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  9. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

I did watch most of the Boise v OSU game and Boise looked tough. Fast and physical. Plus, they played with a swagger. They had attitude & confidence. They are 100% confident that they could play with anyone team in the nation and I actually think they are right.

10. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

well we are going to find out how tough Utah is next year. their schedule this year is an absolute joke. Once they have to play Oregon, Stanford and USC in successive weeks, we can see how tough they are.

11. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Boise is for real. They execute as well as any team I've ever seen. Penalties, perhaps so far this year, although I doubt they'll average 9/game all year - but the players are always in the correct position, they block and tackle superbly, and they seem to play with the perfect mix of smarts and aggression.

12. CUBUFF80

This thread reminds me if Invasion of the Body Snatchers, is Allbuffs being infiltrated by BSU pods? Boise is for real as what - a good team, a national championship contender?

13. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

I tend not to buy this argument. What if losses to Utah and Boise took chunks out of Pitt and VT's armor (confidence), opening the door for future letdowns? Perhaps if they are not beaten in the season openers, they are also not beaten by Miami (at least that bad) and JMU.

At the time they beat them, Pitt and VT were highly regarded teams.

14. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Penalties kill you, but there are many good teams that are heavily penalized.

What I see when I watch BSU is that they very disciplined. They have attitude and aren't timid.

The *biggest* thing though is that they do not miss assignments. Most CFB teams there is at least 1 person that doesn't do what they are supposed to. You never see a RB not pick up a blitz. I'd be shocked at the % of assignments missed if it was higher than 10%. Hardly anyone in CFB plays like that. Same thing with TCU.

BSU rarely have blown coverages and they do not miss tackles. They rarely go for the big hit, but rather just wrap up the person. Sound fundamental football. Not necessarily thrilling, but very sound. They can't afford those miscues since, in all honesty, they just don't have the talent level of a lot of the top teams in the NCAA. That's why they are a good team, and why we are a really bad one.

15. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

In a similar vein, I tend to downgrade bowl games in which an upstart faces a traditional power. The two I'm thinking of are Boise/Oklahoma and Utah/Alabama. I know first-hand that fans and players of OU and Bama were highly disappointed to be paired with these mid-majors. As such, the emotional angle isn't as strong for them, and they are primed for being upset. Meanwhile, for the underdogs, it is their Super Bowl. So in these cases, I doubt that the best team always wins.

16. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

First of all you quoted yourself.

Secondly, as we all know after the Hawkins era at CU, football is about who wins and who loses. Not much else manners. If Boise consistently beats the teams they are presented with, in my mind they are better than the teams they are presented with. If the other teams can't get up for the games, that's their ****ing problem.

17. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

This is what kills me when they present the " they play in a weak conference" argument. Well, VA tech had a whole off-season to get ready for them. ALABAMA had an entire month to get ready for utah and got waxed. But it's either they weren't into the game because they lost to florida or some other made up excuse.

So what their saying is, these other teams do a piss poor job of game planning vs boise etc...with the same amount of time.