What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The case for Mac.

Can we please stop with the cries for Mac to be the AD? I love Mac, but he's totally unqualified. There's more to being a good AD than being a beloved football icon, and a great motivator. Does he know how to manage a multi-million dollar operating budget, can he negotiate sponsorship and tv deals? Can he run a compliance department? What does he know about soccer or skiing? How about facilities maintenance or girls volleyball? Stick to what you're good at - Jeff Gordon shouldn't be the CEO of Ford because he's extremely successful driving a car. Mac for coach, ok - Mac for AD, no f**king way.

I guess Tom Osborne's time in congress gave him a better grasp on how to handle an athletic department and hire a coach to turn around Nubraska, I yield to your point...

I know most don't need to be convinced, but I was just looking up his coaching tree. It's impressive, to say the least. Nine of this former assistants have gone on to be D-I head coaches.

Les Miles
Ellen the Weasel
Bob Simmons
Lou Tepper
Karl Dorrell
Gary Barnett
Gerry DiNardo
Steve Logan
Ron Vanderlinden

Mac would bring in a high quality staff, that much is guaranteed. Even if it's just for a few years to transition to someone else, I look at what he could do and it makes me giddy. Throw in EB as HC in waiting and he would be a great hire, IMO. I don't know if EB would go for that arrangement, but it doesn't hurt to try.

You left off Jim Mora Sr.

I have no idea where my media guides are but they had a whole section in there about just this subject.

Mac and Miles descend directly from the Bo Schembechler coaching try which descends directly from the Woody Hayes coaching tree. There is a lot in there.

My fear is that he will not get a serious look. If he is hired, he instantly becomes the most powerful person in the AD. Not sure Bohn, Benson and DiStephano would be willing to bring him on board. They would not be able to control him like they can others. Just my $0.02 after thinking about this one.

make the background and text black and gold, but that is nice.

MAC_SCOOTSIG-1.jpg

I guess Tom Osborne's time in congress gave him a better grasp on how to handle an athletic department and hire a coach to turn around Nubraska, I yield to your point...

I'll admit Osborne has done a better job than I expected, but yes I do believe his time in congress gave him experience juggling multiple stakeholders and their interests, negotiating deals, fundraising, dealing with complicated beaurocracies, dealing with angry constituents who criticize your every decision.

Apples and oranges.

Don't you think that Dr. Tom is a figurehead AD? I mean, I'm sure that he has say in football matters, but do you think he cares too much about what does on with the baseball team, softball team, etc.?

Can we please stop with the cries for Mac to be the AD? I love Mac, but he's totally unqualified. There's more to being a good AD than being a beloved football icon, and a great motivator. Does he know how to manage a multi-million dollar operating budget, can he negotiate sponsorship and tv deals? Can he run a compliance department? What does he know about soccer or skiing? How about facilities maintenance or girls volleyball? Stick to what you're good at - Jeff Gordon shouldn't be the CEO of Ford because he's extremely successful driving a car. Mac for coach, ok - Mac for AD, no f**king way.
He started a not for profit buisness and has been running it. The reason he was so successful as a HC was he hired and mentored leaders(look how many of his coaching staff went on to be HC), he did not micro manage them but developed them. Look at most of the successful buisness leaders throughout history. Do you think Bohn new much about managing womens waterskiing when in went to SDSU from Idaho?

you guys are over-thinking the job of athletic director. it ain't rocket science. Mac would be great at it if that is something he wanted to do and if an opening were to become available. i think bohn is staying so it is a moot point, but being an ad is not exactly a highly specialized field requiring tech skills.

While it would be difficult to fire Mac if he fails, the failure of the next coach, regardless of who it is, will probably cost Bohn his job. The AD will essentially be reorganized anyway.

As Slade said in another thread, "Osborne also has a PhD in Educational Psychology."

Bohn was an AD at Idaho for 5 years before he got to SDSU and he spent the 9 years before that working for the Air Force AD, so yeah I think he was qualified to run the SDSU athletic department. Mac ran a religious organization which is great and I don't doubt his leadership ability, but you have to take the emotional attachment to Mac out of the equation - pretend it wasn't Mac for a minute and be honest, if I told you our next AD would be a 70 year old who coached football 16 years ago and spent the better part of the last 2 decades leading a religious organization most people would be screaming we were f-ing crazy.

you guys are over-thinking the job of athletic director. it ain't rocket science. Mac would be great at it if that is something he wanted to do and if an opening were to become available. i think bohn is staying so it is a moot point, but being an ad is not exactly a highly specialized field requiring tech skills.
So true. I think AD is way more about judgement, leadership and wisdom vs. some kind of technical knowledge/skill set.

The true role of the AD, is about Fundraising, leadership, vision and closing the deal. Bohn has accountants to help manage budgets, lawyers and personnel for negotiations, compliance personnel, assistant ADs for other departments, and facilities managers. Do you think Steve Jobs develops and makes the iphones? No he provides the vision and leadership that attracts the right people and puts them in the right place to succeed. I think Mac understands that and is in fact more qualified. Mac knew to build a program you needed to build an army of Fans and players. Mac knew to get them interested you needed to play a big time schedule. He never would schedule an away only game with OSU, or a TV contract that has the fans missing ¼ of the CU games. That is just not fan friendly. And don’t get me started about the Mile High showdown fiasco.

You do realize that the Promise Keepers dwarfs any little university athletic department, in both scope and budget? Mac is much more than an inspirational speaker, he has all of the qualities that successful CEOs wish that they had.

I worry about his stamina to be coach. We don't need to pay for a Jo-Pa. Most college football coaches are in the office until 1,2,3 am and some sleep there overnight 3 to 4 days a week. I don't know about Mac, but my 66 year old Dad can't keep his eyes open after 9. He'll be 71 next year right? Tough.

You left off Jim Mora Sr.

I have no idea where my media guides are but they had a whole section in there about just this subject.

Mac and Miles descend directly from the Bo Schembechler coaching try which descends directly from the Woody Hayes coaching tree. There is a lot in there.

Jim Mora, Sr. was on Eddie Crowder's staff 1968-73. Eddie always had good assistant coaches just like Mac. And did someone in this thread say Mac is unqualified to be an AD? Wow. He is obviously as qualified as anyone.

If you want Mac involved in the program you want him coaching, motivating and recruiting.

I worry about his stamina to be coach. We don't need to pay for a Jo-Pa. Most college football coaches are in the office until 1,2,3 am and some sleep there overnight 3 to 4 days a week. I don't know about Mac, but my 66 year old Dad can't keep his eyes open after 9. He'll be 71 next year right? Tough.

I think you are thinking of the NFL. Steve Spurrier went back to college so could the rounds of golf in that he is used to. He was shocked by the amount of time that required as the head coach of the Redskins.

"Coach Steve Spurrier was more of a CEO during his 2002-03 stint with Washington. He was known for playing more golf than practicing at Florida, despite winning a national title. Spurrier limited golf to the offseason with the Redskins, though he did call in his resignation to owner Dan Snyder from a golf course."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/s...f-the-NFL-7953761-50531887.html#ixzz14zTDMSqE

McCartney has never even remotely indicated he is interested in becoming CU's athletic director.

I believe that is true. I was simply responding to comments that he is unqualified to be an AD. He probably doesn't want to be an AD, but he sure is qualified.

I would also rather see him coaching, recruiting and motivating.

Mac isn't stupid enough to come out and say hey Bohn, I'm gunning for your job. But I also think it's why Bohn will brush off Mac, to protect his own hind parts. I get the feeling Bohn will say thanks but no thanks to Mac because he's threatened by him. Bohn isn't just looking for a coach. He wants to ink a coach, then a new deal for himself. Not necessarily in that order.

I believe that is true. I was simply responding to comments that he is unqualified to be an AD. He probably doesn't want to be an AD, but he sure is qualified.

I would also rather see him coaching, recruiting and motivating.

Yeah, I'm 56 and have a hard time keeping my eyes op zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz en. Sorry. Must have nodded off for a second.

Yeah, I'm 56 and have a hard time keeping my eyes op zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz en. Sorry. Must have nodded off for a second.

come on now...you got ten years before you start taking the couch naps at 6 in the evening.

Hey, if your for Mac then I'm for Mac. I'll support the hell out of him if that's the direction we go. Loyd Christmas said it best....."Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose."...."Don't you go dying on me!"

Back