What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The defense today

SBG

Administrator
Club Member
Junta Member
Seriously, though. We have a lot bigger issues than quarterback. Sefo's a solid starter who has led this offense to a much better year than I ever suspected we'd see.

You know what we should be talking about? A defense that gave up over 300 yards rushing and nearly 600 total yards.

The D stepped up when they needed to at the end, minus double OT. The strip was nice in the second half.

Arizona run for like 800 yards against us.

It was a weird defensive performance.

For much of the day, I was proud of them and pleased by what I was seeing.

But 590 yards and 300+ on the ground? That's simply not acceptable.

Maybe it's just modern college football and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what constitutes a "good" defensive performance.

I mean, hell, CU had over 500 yards in offense and I thought that UCLA did a fantastic job on defense of taking away much of what CU was trying to do on offense. It wasn't a good day for our offense except for the yardage numbers.

Playing fast throws off numbers. Besides the first quarter the D did well, except for third and long.

That fourth quarter fourth down stop was INCREDIBLE. Forgot what it was like to be a loud crowd.

I thought our defense showed up when it needed to (minus OT2 and the first quarter). However, we need to find a way to force more turnovers. There is a reason Sefo has thrown INTs in addition to TDs, and that is because he is almost always pressured. We rarely put pressure on a QB, and the lack of INTs is indicative of that.

I thought our defense showed up when it needed to (minus OT2 and the first quarter). However, we need to find a way to force more turnovers. There is a reason Sefo has thrown INTs in addition to TDs, and that is because he is almost always pressured. We rarely put pressure on a QB, and the lack of INTs is indicative of that.

Today was the least pressure that Hundley has faced all year. Strange game. Our D usually gets a better pass rush than that. Hundley's a load, though. Couple times we got there he either juked it or broke tackles.

Today was the least pressure that Hundley has faced all year. Strange game. Our D usually gets a better pass rush than that. Hundley's a load, though. Couple times we got there he either juked it or broke tackles.

This is why I am surprised that we didn't go after him. Utah made him completely lost and unsure of himself, and we didn't seem to even try anything. Maybe the injuries played into that conservative gameplan. Who knows?

It's because Daigh was the man and is playing better than the liability Gillam has become.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's because Daigh was the man and is playing better than the liability Gillam has become.

Daigh did have by far his best collegiate game. I only remember one time when I was pissed that he was so physically outmatched (it was on a first down for UCLA on man to man coverage). It was nice to see him step up when needed.

Daigh did have by far his best collegiate game. I only remember one time when I was pissed that he was so physically outmatched (it was on a first down for UCLA on man to man coverage). It was nice to see him step up when needed.

There was also the play when he came free up the middle on a blitz and he didn't get a hand on Hundley. But I didn't notice any gaffes other than that.

And he noticeably filled very well in run support a number of time today and maintained a high intensity throughout the game. I think he finished with 11 tackles and may have had a TFL or two.

But...

I have trouble singing the praises of our MLB for a great game when the other team rushed for over 300 yards.

Does anyone know story behind why Chidobe Awuzie's last name wasn't on the back of his jersey today?

I couldn't tell if that was a statement or an equipment snafu. Awuzie has been a ball hawk and is making a lot of tackles. He's flashing enough to stand out and not need his name on his jersey.

Doesn't help that the majority of those rushing yards came from a 92 yd run that Gillam got worked on.

I noticed there were several plays were #98, Gilbert lined up as middle linebacker. I really noticed it in the second half. Not sure if that was the game plan, or an adjustment due to Gillam.

I noticed there were several plays were #98, Gilbert lined up as middle linebacker. I really noticed it in the second half. Not sure if that was the game plan, or an adjustment due to Gillam.

Gilbert was a tweener as a recruit. Some sites had him at OLB. Some had him as a WDE. He's 6'4" 230 lbs.

Would it be the worst thing to line him up at SAM and then roll him up as a pass rushing DE on obvious passing downs?

Gilbert was a tweener as a recruit. Some sites had him at OLB. Some had him as a WDE. He's 6'4" 230 lbs.

Would it be the worst thing to line him up at SAM and then roll him up as a pass rushing DE on obvious passing downs?

I watched Jimmy for a bit, and he was playing well. I didn't know if this was an in game adjustment or if it had been planned.

Getting help at LB is a big need.

The D gave up two 70+ yard TD dives, one 55 yard TD drive, and one 92 yard TD run. In today's offensively driven rules and the league we play in that is pretty good. Giving up the big play early really distorts a lot of the stats.

The big improvement from the defense yesterday was on 3rd down. UCLA was only 3/15 on 3rd down conversions (0/1 on 4th down). That's an impressive stat.

Still allowed UCLA to exceed their season averages for points scored, rushing yards, and total yards in a road game. This defense is not very good. It may have done a few things right (3/15 3rd down conversions), but it isn't very good.

Last edited:

Interesting take. Either way we need some major changes at the LB position. Gilbert seems to have good speed even if you put him at an OLB. I like our numbers and ability better in 2015 at the DE position, so this might be an option. The more I think about it the more I like it. He is rangy enough to be effective in the pass game at OLB, but big enough to play on running downs.

We need something to change here and don't see anyone coming in that will change that.

Back