What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Final 5

This thread is a good example of why we need to control medicinal marijuana more closely. We struggle to beat a KSU team that is sinking fast at home and we lose to a solid but not great A&M team at home. Now people are talking about beating KU on the road and beating UT at home...WOW! When ISU or Baylor boards talk like that in football we make fun of them big time. I will be happy if CU can beat ISU and TT on the road. Winning on the road is not something that CU has been good at recently. Does anyone else worry about what the last two games took out of this team?

The "CU has players who can get hot" mantra is so bogus. It takes a team to win by playing defense and rebounding...not one player getting hot. I remember when Cliff Meeley would go off for 30+ points in a game and CU would still lose. Burks only had 8 points on Saturday but he had 10 rebounds and busted his butt on defense. CU is not losing because of scoring they are losing because of rebounding...A&M was a prime example of that. CU has not shot above .500 in conference play so I wonder how hot does one expect them to get.

As CU has gotten deeper into conference play its shortcomings have become more and more apparent to other coaching staffs. Force CU on the perimeter, hold them to no second chances.

NCAA. Always. Not even close. It's better to get blown out in the opening round of the NCAAs than it is to win the NIT.

:yeahthat:

Not holding my breath @KU, but CU can beat Texas in Boulder.

The "CU has players who can get hot" mantra is so bogus. It takes a team to win by playing defense and rebounding...not one player getting hot. I remember when Cliff Meeley would go off for 30+ points in a game and CU would still lose. Burks only had 8 points on Saturday but he had 10 rebounds and busted his butt on defense. CU is not losing because of scoring they are losing because of rebounding...A&M was a prime example of that. CU has not shot above .500 in conference play so I wonder how hot does one expect them to get.

I agree that defense and rebounding is what makes you a good team that will win a lot of basketball games, but when you have 3 players that can go unconsious, it really doesnt matter. Will that strategy work every time, nope, but it is how smaller programs beat the big boys. I think CU is more able to get hot because they have 3 guys that are able to do it, not just one like many other programs. But yes, to beat KU or UT, CU has to get hot, and KU or UT have to have a off night. That would be known as the stars aligning

I agree that defense and rebounding is what makes you a good team that will win a lot of basketball games, but when you have 3 players that can go unconsious, it really doesnt matter. Will that strategy work every time, nope, but it is how smaller programs beat the big boys. I think CU is more able to get hot because they have 3 guys that are able to do it, not just one like many other programs. But yes, to beat KU or UT, CU has to get hot, and KU or UT have to have a off night. That would be known as the stars aligning

I think we have a better shot at KU than UT...Texas is good. KU is overrated in my opinion, and we always show up to play them. Now, I don't think either is happening, but just saying.

As for CU having three players that can go hot...no, we have two - Higgins and Burks. If you're thinking Levi is that third player, no...he had one great game, and in that game he did not really take over the game...I would not count on Levi going on a shooting streak like @KSU. Smaller programs' great players can take over a game, not just shoot wide open set threes. Sorry to rain on your optimism here, but I just have to say it like it is I guess...I share BlackNGold's thoughts. The win was great, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

odds are better for us this time against KU. There 6th man robinson will probably still be out for that game. Every little bit helps

Last edited:
I think we have a better shot at KU than UT...Texas is good. KU is overrated in my opinion, and we always show up to play them. Now, I don't think either is happening, but just saying.

As for CU having three players that can go hot...no, we have two - Higgins and Burks. If you're thinking Levi is that third player, no...he had one great game, and in that game he did not really take over the game...I would not count on Levi going on a shooting streak like @KSU. Smaller programs' great players can take over a game, not just shoot wide open set threes. Sorry to rain on your optimism here, but I just have to say it like it is I guess...I share BlackNGold's thoughts. The win was great, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Fair enough on UT vs KU, both are very good programs and are going to beat us 90% of the time.

I think I can include Levi into the equation. If you have Burks/Higgins playing well, defenses will have to colapse, leaving Levi open for a 3. Boyle talked about that being the kind of play they need to start executing. I would say they go hand in hand. If Levi keeps knocking down 3's they will have to extend their defense, and Burks/Higgins will be able to attack the basket much better, and if Burks/Higgins attack the basket, it leaves Levi open for a lot. Now that all sounds easy, but its pretty hard to attack the basket, realize the defense colapsed on you, then kick it out to a open shooter. Then on top of that, the shooter has to consistantly make the shot. But if this happens, Levi would have to be a huge part of our offense.

I think I can include Levi into the equation. If you have Burks/Higgins playing well, defenses will have to colapse, leaving Levi open for a 3. Boyle talked about that being the kind of play they need to start executing. I would say they go hand in hand. If Levi keeps knocking down 3's they will have to extend their defense, and Burks/Higgins will be able to attack the basket much better, and if Burks/Higgins attack the basket, it leaves Levi open for a lot. Now that all sounds easy, but its pretty hard to attack the basket, realize the defense colapsed on you, then kick it out to a open shooter. Then on top of that, the shooter has to consistantly make the shot. But if this happens, Levi would have to be a huge part of our offense.

Sharpe would be key to this if he can build on his play from Sat. night. Right now doesn't have the best court vision, but if he continues to drive the lane defenses will adjust, which will leave Burks/Higgins/Knutson open. Like you said though, the shooter has to make the shot.

Back