What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Freshmen

TimmyDUBs

Dirty haole
Club Member
Just like last year, we are expecting a bunch of freshmen to play for the Buffs this year. So far the difference is the freshmen have looked like they are actually ready to play (while the Sophs looked light years ahead of any game last season.) Gillam looked like a senior in his first game and Awuzie didn't get picked on at all, proving that his hype in practices might be legitimate.

We may get to see the following players this season:

Michael Adkins, RB
Chidobe Awuzie, CB
Jimmie Gilbert, DE
Addison Gillam, LB
Phillip Lindsey, RB
Sefo Liufau, QB
Derek McCartney, DE
Markeis Reed, DE
Devin Ross, WR

Did I miss anyone? Did any other play that I didn't notice? Who are you most excited to see get in the game?

Perhaps we can keep track of their progress in this thread.

Gillam made plenty of Freshman mistakes, so I wouldn't say he looks like a Sr. He got schooled by the CSU vet O-Line on several plays when I re-watched it. He also made some great plays and possesses some great natural abilities. He'll be good, if not great soon enough, but he's a true frosh without a lot of previous coaching or experience at LB.

I was going to start a thread about Derek McCartney. He was an undersized and not highly rated kid out of Faith Christian coming out of HS. I'm sure many believed he was recruited as a homage to Bill. Now look at him. He's in the two deep as a defensive lineman. 6'-3", 235. What do you guys who follow this stuff think of DM?

Ross has told people that he would likely play but that Elijah Dunston would RS. They are rooming together.

I was going to start a thread about Derek McCartney. He was an undersized and not highly rated kid out of Faith Christian coming out of HS. I'm sure many believed he was recruited as a homage to Bill. Now look at him. He's in the two deep as a defensive lineman. 6'-3", 235. What do you guys who follow this stuff think of DM?

I have heard that he has solid upside and will eventually be a BCS player.

In the first game, the following freshmen played:

Addison Gillam
Tedric Thompson
Chidobe Awuzie
Ryan Severson
Kenneth Olugdobe
Jimmie Gilbert

I would expect that Jeff Thomas and Devin Ross will be added to that list. It's possible that the rest of the freshmen can redshirt, but I'd imagine a couple more (i.e., Sefo Liufau) will probably see the field in 2013.

Gillam made plenty of Freshman mistakes, so I wouldn't say he looks like a Sr. He got schooled by the CSU vet O-Line on several plays when I re-watched it. He also made some great plays and possesses some great natural abilities. He'll be good, if not great soon enough, but he's a true frosh without a lot of previous coaching or experience at LB.

I really want to rewatch that game, but I can't find it anywhere. Is it online?

I guess that would be natural, my first impression was pretty great. I'm surprised by the list of freshman who actually played. I suppose what is most impressive is how one might not notice that a bunch of freshmen were in there. While more were starting last year, they pretty much always looked unprepared as one might expect them to, while this year they have looked like they are at least ready to play.

That is after just one game, so I am glad to have another one that should be very winnable before we start playing tougher and tougher teams. Our schedule is set up pretty well to easing us into more and more challenging teams before our brutal stretch. Every week is an incredible learning opportunity.

Back