1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fresno State game. Win, or Lose?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Darth Snow, Jun 25, 2012.

?

Will CU beat FSU?

1. Yes! Road Streak at 2!

52.7%
  2. No. Too young, too inexperienced.

36.5%
  3. I like Polls (and Snow!)

4.7%
  4. Ban Snow

6.1%
  1. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I was up early and reading the Pre-Snap Read on Fresno... I think the younger Carr is gonna run us over just like his brother did. Actually, it may be a lot worse.

http://www.presnapread.com/no-91-fresno-state/#more-38367

After taking a gander at the younger Carr's #s... I'm terrified for what he is going to do to our D. And they apparently have a damn good RB.

And although their defense was equally bad last year, their new coach has a history of doing great things on D at every stop he's had. And it's on the road. Furk. I was hoping to have some hope for this game. Now... looking bad.

Right now, my hopes rest on the following:
    • The earlier mentioned D: They are switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. They return two apparently solid safeties from injury, but are replacing 2 CB's.
    • Their OL. It seems to be somewhat experienced, but that experience is in a different system and at different positions. It is losing a lot from last year (hence the shuffling and new positions for some of them) and has no depth.
    • They lost their top 2 WR (one to OU, other to graduation). Problem: They have a lot of production returning anyways. Doh.
    • New system. The mustache was not a good D coach, but man he had that offense humming more often then not. Better hope that new OC sucks.

Strangely, the Pre-snap guy seems convinced that they lose to us. I am not so sure. :lol:

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

New O. Those numbers came in an Al Davis stretch the field bastardization of the WCO. They are implementing a Utah type spread. I am not as worried...

3. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Frenso State's confidence could be shot for the CU game after they travel to Oregon the weekend before the CU game.

4. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

They are a WAC team that won 4 games last year with a new coaching staff that is not the Pat Hill "play anybody, anywhere" mentality. This should be a win.

Edit: Or whatever conference they are in these days.

5. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I worry about this game more than our other OOC games for two reasons. It is a road game and our guys are still fragile on the road. Also Fresno is a team that has won a lot more than they have lost in recent years. They have good coaches and are going to have some confidence on their home field.

On the other side the road issue is something Embree wants to change and this game will be a priority. He wants this team to be able to go on the road and believe they can win. He recognizes this as a good place to start. Also Fresno is a team that has been in decline recently. They used to be at the front of the list of "BCS busters," the best of the non-AQ schools. Recently they have struggled against better quality teams and as Nash mentions they will be coming off a beating at Oregon.

6. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Lose any of the OOC games and the season is shot. I expect the coaches and players all understand this.

8. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

9. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Probably about 50/50 since it's a road game. But we really should be able to beat a 4 win WAC/MWC team transitioning with a new (questionable) coaching staff. Little Carr or not, the days of Pat Hill Fresno State slaying BCS teams left and right are long, long gone. Certainly seen this all go horribly wrong before, though

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  10. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Loss. Can't score enough on the road until proven otherwise.

11. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

head says "loss", heart says "win"...

there are no gimmes for this team. if we don't catch a few breaks here and there, we could be looking at a worse season than last year, although i believe the team will play better overall than it did last year.

12. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I'd like to see the Buffs play in 2012 at least once before attempting this prediction.

13. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

14. sackman

A lot of negativity from this board these days. Or, if not blatant negativity, a discernable lack of optimism.

15. Unleash Hell

what the **** do you expect after all these years. If we played Mizzou right now, my prediction would be MIzzou 69 Buffs 0

16. sackman

I'm not sure what I expect. I look at the season as three mini-seasons. Three games they have no business losing, three games they have no business winning, and six games that will determine the fate of the season as a whole. Fresno is one of those games that they have no business losing. I'm hoping they can somehow find three wins against UA, ASU, UCLA, UW, WSU and UU. Four of those six are at home, and the remaining two are against teams that we *should* stack up against very favorably, even on the road.

17. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

You have us winning 4 games, and 2 in the conference, so either this is wrong or your nightmares about CSU will prove false :thumbsup:

18. Unleash Hell

shhh about my nightmares about CSU, I don't know what you're talking about!:lol:

19. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Win, but not automatic...

20. liverflukes

liverflukes Resident Bear Club Member

They have a quick release and accurate QB, a decent run game and solid receivers. Their secondary is suspect and I think your O-line (whoever/whomever that may be) will be able to push their D around. At home you definitely take them but their stadium is a really tough place to play and they get fired up against PAC 12 teams. You should win but as it stands today, I think their home field advantage gives them the win instead. There are still several months left before that game and I may change my opinion based on new developments but you know your team on the road better than I do and a lot may boil down to who your QB is and how effective he becomes in that game. FWIW, they jumped to early leads against both Cal and Nebraska playing at their homes. Some recent video of them:

[video=youtube;IvrtyHuiKck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvrtyHuiKck&feature=related[/video]

21. liverflukes

[video=youtube;wte8OtoBZz4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wte8OtoBZz4[/video]

Darth Snow likes this.
  22. liverflukes

[video=youtube;PMkidqfKPMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMkidqfKPMs[/video]

On the other hand, they barely beat North Dakota State in this video but their stadium will be full for you guys...

23. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Ndsu is pretty ****ing good

24. 14ers4me

14ers4me Member

Apparently so.

"Lose any of the OOC games and the season is shot."-sackman

25. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

Fresno takes this one. Similar to Hawaii, Toledo, CSU '09. We had more talent in those three games than we do now.

26. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

Except that's North Dakota, not North Dakota State...don't worry, the NCAA made the same mistake a few days ago too:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...state-ncaa-championship-175719975--ncaaf.html

27. sackman

Speaking as somebody who has spent a small portion of my life living in the great state of North Dakota, I would like to point out that the team you show above is actually the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux, not the North Dakota State Bison. Small point of clarification, because after all - who really gives a sh*t, but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

28. sackman

UND, not so much.

29. liverflukes

30. sackman

Am I wrong? Notice I'm not predicting a loss to Fresno, just the outcome of the season should we lose there. I stand by that. Lose any of the first three games of the year, the season is completely shot. We won't be facing any easier teams than the first three on the schedule.