What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Fresno State game. Win, or Lose?

Will CU beat FSU?

• Total voters
I'm just glad we're not the only fanbase predicting success based on new coaches/schemes, players that didn't perform last year, and spring ball.

I'm just glad we're not the only fanbase predicting success based on new coaches/schemes, players that didn't perform last year, and spring ball.

That's the nature of fans. Baring the presence of a known loser like we had in Hawkins most fanbases are going to take an optimistic approach to the season. I have seen Stanford fans who are convinced that losing Harbaugh isn't going to hurt them and in fact they may be better, Arky fans who think that they are going to be a better team, and others. Went to Sheepnation for a laugh and saw posters declaring that anything less than 7 wins this year would be a failure, they may not win 7 quarters this season but hop springs eternal in the eyes of a fan.

images

I got koolaid running threw my veins, we will win!
Glory glory Colorado!

Team confidence in the QB position is critical to both the offense and defense. Yes we can point out that the Buffs could not stop the Sacramento when they needed to, but the offense had the opportunity to control the field and came up short (3 and out). QB play motivates everybody to play harder including the O line. Of course I wish well for Webb, just not seeing the leadership or physical gifts to this point that are needed to play at this level and take control of a game (honestly hope he proves me wrong). If Wood can demonstrate leadership and utilize his natural gifts, this game can represent a turnaround in direction for the Buffs. Tall order but if Woods emerges we can win this game. No Kool-aid, just looking for the way out of this mess.... Wood emerges and... Buffs 31 Fresno St 28

:plot:

[h=1](Heres A bit on the Fresno D performance at #4 Oregon)
MWC week in review: What's reality when it comes to Fresno State's second-half defensive effort at Oregon?[/h] By Robert Kuwada on September 11, 2012 6:15 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)
The Fresno State Bulldogs had a huge second half defensively Saturday in a loss at No. 4 Oregon, holding the high-powered Ducks to 149 yards of offense and seven points, forcing three turnovers.
The backs that had sliced up the Bulldogs early started to struggle to find even a crease to slide through, and there were a lot of good things going on within that defense.
In that first half, the Ducks racked up 383 yards of total offense and 35 points, averaging 8.1 yards per play. Kenjon Barner rushed for 132 yards on 17 plays and De'Anthony Thomas had 100 yards on just five. In the second half, though, Oregon averaged 3.9 yards per play. Barner rushed for 64 yards on 17 plays, while Thomas netted just two yards on two plays.
So, just maybe, the Bulldogs are onto something with that multiple and aggressive 3-4 installed by coach Tim DeRuyter and defensive coordinator Nick Toth.
It's only two games and six good quarters out of eight, three good halves out of four.
But here's the biggest clue -- Fresno State was in position to make plays all game against the best offense it will face this season and finished with 11 tackles for loss for a minus-53 yards, which is the most any defense has had against the Ducks in three-plus years Chip Kelly has been the coach.
That might be hard to believe, considering some of the defenses that have lined up against Oregon the past three-plus seasons; Auburn, Ohio State, Louisiana State, USC. But here is the top 10:
1, Fresno State (2012): 11 tackles for loss, minus-53 yards.
2, UCLA (2009): 11 tackles for loss, minus-48 yards.
3, Auburn (2010 BCS title game): 11 tackles for loss, minus-33 yards.
4, Oregon State (2009): 10 tackles for loss, minus-49 yards.
5, Stanford (2010): 10 tackles for loss, minus-46 yards.
6, Portland State (2010): nine tackles for loss, minus-29 yards.
7, Arizona State (2010): nine tackles for loss, minus-28 yards.
8, Arizona (2009): nine tackles for loss, minus-23 yards.
9, USC (2010): nine tackles for loss, minus-20 yards.
10, Cal (2009): nine tackles for loss, minus 18 yards.
That, of course, only begs the question. Was it real?
Did the Ducks push as hard in the second half as they did in the first?
Here's another one: How valid is the Bulldogs' defensive improvement in that game?
We'll make a guess that it was genuine, that the second half performance by the Fresno State defense against the Ducks was not an aberration or a fluke.
For one thing, it happens. Defensive coordinators make adjustments, players make adjustments.
Oregon, high-powered as it has been under Kelly, has actually played 27 halves of football where it did not gain 200 yards of total offense and not all of them were in the third and fourth quarters when they were starting with a huge halftime lead. Only six of them, in fact, so it's not like the Ducks' coach is always pulling the plug on that point-a-minute offense to keep scores down.
For another, five of those tackles for loss came in the first half along with four other plays that went for two yards or less (not including incomplete passes). The Bulldogs had six of those tackles for loss in the second half as well as seven plays in which they held the Ducks to two yards or less.
The Bulldogs just started making plays more consistently once they stopped running around Autzen Stadium like tourists, wide-eyed and in awe of what was in front of them.
They adjusted to the speed of the Ducks' skill players, created some indecision in redshirt freshman quarterback Marcus Mariota, didn't make bad penalties to keep drives going, and they tackled.

One last thing -- the six tackles for loss in the second half are as many or more than 24 of Oregon's past 42 opponents have recorded in an entire game, the fewest a big fat zero by Stanford in 2010.

Yup, don't know what I was thinking. Should have known we would be 0-2 going into this game instead of 2-0.

:lol:

btw in case it didn't come off that way, I'm just kidding with you guys. Nothing wrong with having a little optimism about beating a WAC team.

Blind optimism. Simply a case of blind optimism without the benefit of any fact or reason whatsoever

Hello Buffs, Cal guy here, thought I'd check out your board.

This game should be a win. When we played them last year, well before our defense really started clicking [as you guys made a great effort in showing us] Carr really had nothing for us. Maynard dropped 266 on them in his first game. Across the board, you have the athletes to get this done, convincingly. I truly believe this will be a game decided by attitude, if you guys go into this game with the right mindset, done. Lets make sure these Mountain West kids know their place by the end of the season.

How do you suppose your team would have done against Sac St. and CSU last year? Just wondering.

For those that are predicting a CU win this weekend. I'm wondering how many of you are calling it a "lock?

For those that are predicting a CU win this weekend. I'm wondering how many of you are calling it a "lock?

Don't miss the fact that these votes were cast back in June before the big dose of reality the last two weeks. Think you'll see a different story now in the actual game week prediction thread.

Fresno state held oregon to 7 pts in the 2nd half and their defense had 11 plays for loss vs the oregon offense....

We know what's about to happen....

Back