1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The future of CU football

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Even if we had landed Jones, I have always viewed this coaching hire as more of a stopgap for 5-7 years. Some stability, multiple bowl games, and a coach selling the rebuilding job he does here for a bigger job.

Fast forward 5-7 years and we have: better facilities, a new AD, a new president, and a new chancellor. This job should look much more attractive.

This is not to say I have low expectations for the new coach. If the next coach is here for five years, I expect three bowl games and consistent top 40 classes. I just will view a trip to the Rose Bowl as a bonus.

2. RalphieSpeaks

RalphieSpeaks Club Member Club Member

With better facilities and if we will pay the "going rate" for a CFB coach then CU would be looked at as an attractive job. Never a destination job but would be solid.

3. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Rose bowl, don't talk about Rose Bowl. Are you kidding me? Rose Bowl... I just hope we can win a game.

leftybuff and sackman like this.
  4. dawinator

dawinator New Member

What you did there, I see it.

5. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Funny. I thought the great thing about Butch was the guarantee that he could deliver (if he stayed) exactly that scenario. Nothing great, but solid results to get us back to respectability.

6. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

Just get the facilities in place. Most important thing about this whole coaching search.

7. RalphieSpeaks

RalphieSpeaks Club Member Club Member

[​IMG]

8. Walter White

Walter White Member

Forget that. Live in the now. Win now. Tomorrow is 100% uncertain. The right coach will make it happen quickly. You can have awesome facilities and blue chip players and get nothing. Look at SC and Texas this year.

9. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

There's still coaches avail that can do that this year

10. Duff Man

No one questions USC or Texas in their desire to be elite football programs. Losing at USC or Texas does not potentially torpedo a coaching career. The same cannot be said for CU.

No doubt about it.

11. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

Or f'n Tennessee any year!

12. gobuffs58

gobuffs58 Well-Known Member

i think we are underestimating the cu job... pay is good , pac 12 conf, facilities comittment?, .... i know food cart turned us down but after the putz took the tn job that picture cleared up.... maybe its someone not on our radar?

13. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

:stupid: At least I think/hope so.

14. Walter White

Walter White Member

CU was facing some pretty stiff competition in the job market this year. Some good slots were open. CU is not at the top of the peckign order, but there are very few coaches who are in a position to turn down $2m coaching gigs playign in the p12. And, typically, the only reason they turn them down is to get one that pays more.

I don't think people appreciate what a big change has occured at CU. CU went from bush league to major league in terms of compensation package CU is willing to pay the head coach.

15. Duff Man

Not just about pay.

16. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I stated a couple of days ago that none of the candidates out there get me very excited.

At this point I want something that looks like a major college football team. Beat the teams we are supposed to beat and at don't embarass ourselves against the teams we aren't supposed to. No first and 10 QB sneaks, no 70 point blowouts to MWC teams, no Arizona and Washington players laughing at us on the field.

Recuit guys who belong in the PAC, run offenses and defenses that belong in the PAC, don't be everybodies homecoming opponent.

From that foundation we can then look to where we go afterwords.

17. seattlebuff

seattlebuff Well-Known Member

Yes, the pay is going to be great for whoever comes, and thank god our administration finally is giving us a fighting chance. But I think we vastly underestimate the career risk that someone is taking to come here, even if they're an up and comer and hungry to prove themselves at the next level. We were, objectively speaking, probably the worst BCS team in the country last year and somewhere in the bottom 10 among all FBS schools. Yes, we'll be better next year but any coach that comes is taking a major chance. CU offers unique challenges of which we're all aware (stigma, facilities, asst. coach contracts, alumni and admin apathy, etc.) Anybody that takes this gig has to know in the back of their mind that if it doesn't work out, they might end up where Hawkins, Barnett, Embree did ... out of football.

18. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

I would have given Embo a third year, replace Brown and EB. Get more experienced play callers in.

19. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

:lol:

20. Duff Man

Most relevant post in thread titled "Future of CU football" IMO.

21. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Which is different from most other schools how? What is the last coach at Texas doing these days? Alabama? Washington? Truth be told, I'm getting a little annoyed at the characterization of the CU job being a career killer. It only kills your career if you suck.

22. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Valid points Boulder Buff. In the end this hire is not that important. If facilities are built and commitment to football demonstrated, we can do better on the next go around.

23. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I agree with the OP unless we can pry Golden from Miami.

24. seattlebuff

seattlebuff Well-Known Member

Completely different comparisons. John Mackovic, Texas coach before Mack Brown, was at the tail end of a long fairly successful career anyway. Mike Shula rebounded from Alabama just fine, in the NFL. Franchione and Price landed at lesser schools but still head coaching jobs. Willingham at UW, I'll give you that ... he's out of football. But on our end, Hawkins, Barnett and Embree will never be head coaches again. Neuheisel, maybe. That's our track record.

My point is that a coach's success at CU are more influenced by the unique challenges than a lot of other places. Bellotti, Barnett, Tedford and others have enumerated that. So even if a coach doesn't "suck", they may still have a tough time here. Of course, upper tier compensations and facilities upgrades will hopefully bend the curve.

25. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

CU has some deep problems in the AD and the Football program. We are now following a typical pattern of a company that finds itself failing...they are starting to throw money at the problem. Great but that is usually short sited...the CUAD needs a strong leader and we do not have that with Mike Bohn (primarily) and that is why we need to replace him. The formula for success is simple to state and hard to achieve. You need a plan, you need to stick to that plan and have fanatical execution of your plan.

Everyone is focused on the coaching hire but I hope you realize that we probably will not see results for several years...what is going to happen after next year if the team goes 4 and 8 or worse. We will lose more ticket sales and we will continue to try to consolidate around an ever shrinking core of fans.

We desperately need a leader that can start building a foundation for the program and make the athletic success sustainable.

26. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

can we please schedule a home and home with Tennessee in the future. I want to crush them...

27. gobuffs58

gobuffs58 Well-Known Member

4-8 are you kidding me?... ill double my donations...

28. neil29fp

neil29fp Club Member Club Member

Really? If Neuheisel never gets a gig again you'd pin that on CU? I'm with Sackman on this issue. Barnett isn't in coaching due to the baggage surrounding his dismissal, Hawk was terrible for the latter years, and Embree was worse than terrible. I don't see how that's on CU.

29. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I bet Embree gets another gig someday. He'll probably go back to the NFl, and thn get a mid major job. Even D II is getting considered for jobs last year and this. He'll be back too, just no son to play at QB...

30. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

This hire is about getting someone who knows how to run a football organization. That's why an experienced HC is at the top of the wish list. It may end up being a hire who stays 3 or 4 years, using a rebuild into a 7-win program with a stocked talent cupboard as a stepping stone to his next job.

And that's ok.

CU is developing a rep for being a "coaching career killer" job. We need to become a "stepping stone" job before we can hope to become a "destination" job.