What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Good, the Bad, and the God-awful

aeroxx

(No, not a reference to Clint Eastwood's own bizarre performance)

I feel the all too familiar taint of disgust that I had when watching the 94 buffs losing to a weaker Husker team where CU could barely manage a few first downs, despite having more than half the offense matriculate into the NFL.

I think the cries for jumping ship or self-immolation are a bit too reactionary, however. Give it a season before taking irrevocable action I say...

I fault the coaching staff for four things:

• Not recruiting a linebacker last year, as well as another receiver/returner once Payton Williams was injured. After the injury to P-rich and the Jeff Thomas situation, our offense is hobbled.

• Giving a scholarship to Goodson: we had already filled our quota of small, quick football players. He has got to feel terrible after today. I feel terrible for him, but even without the unfortunate events today, I think it was a mistake for the coaches to put him out there, especially on returns.

• Offensive playcalling and inability to make adjustments. Despite the upsetness of the fans here, I don’t think EB is hopeless. The Cal game and others last year were well conceived, even if Prich hadn’t torn off the lid of the defense. We do lack playmakers, but still we still could be less predictable--are we running another trap on second down and 10…?

• Embree stating that the goal this season is a bowl game. This is setting huge expectations for a team and fanbase and smacks of wishful thinking-not what we want to see in a coach, not ever again. It would be much better to focus on the things we can control like blocking and legal tackling. If a player can’t play with discipline and without getting frustrated, he shouldn’t be playing D1. Our goal should be to improve in every facet of the game—to work on becoming a bowl-caliber team. This doesn’t mean lowering one’s standards of excellence, nor losing one’s ambition and aggression (legal) on the field.

The ugly offensive line blocking, especially by the tight ends, was cringe-worthy. The problem is a longstanding and systemic one: If our defense lacks high-caliber pass-rushers they have very little they can practice during the offseason. How is Marshall or anyone supposed to coach in the abstract? This is why rebuilding takes years, not weeks. Still, it looked like regression from the Utah game—I hope this is just rust and cobwebs and not a harbinger of things to come. I can understand getting beat by a superior athlete (not that CSU has any/many of them), but it is hard to fathom just missing blocks altogether on practically every play.

Tony Jones looked slow and tentative. Agreed he might be a change of pace player, but not a workhorse. It is looking like Powell, Abron, and Crowder are going to get a lot more action early. Creer made a nice play or two, but still looks tentative and not all the way back.

The good news is that Crawley, Mosley, and Powell all gained good experience (I can’t believe stupid Fox didn’t show a replay of Crawley’s return). Tupuo cut his teeth on a very good center and I thought acquitted himself fairly well.

Also except for the 4’th down pass out of the stadium, Jordan Webb played well. He looks a bit better than Hansen, even this early in the season.
Let’s remember it took Coach Mac five or six years to turn the program around, we need to be patient this year, as our young talent learns to play the game on a high level. Next year should be the real litmus test.

If we aren’t blocking and running well next year, I might lead the posse of pitchforks into Dal Ward.

Bad news: O Line. Also, Webb was disappointing, Jones sucked, TE ridiculous. Only bright, er dim, spot was the WRs.

Special teams a disaster. Brookhart must go. Kickers were good, but everything else was high schoolish.

Good news: D line pretty good...lots of blocked passes, sacks, pressures etc. LBs fair. DBs decent.

Sorry, we overall suked *****$. Maybe the young talent will be good down the line, too early to tell. Coaching certainly leaves much to be desired. Need Kirby Smart to take over next year.

CSU wanted it much, much more can't remember a play that we actually fought for a 1st down.

As sick as I feel writing it, I feel like the Buffs were looking past CSU (but to what, I don't know). Hopefully they don't think they can just phone in the rest of the ooc sched. And just maybe this was the wake up call the entire team needed. I've got my fingers crossed.

I never had the feeling they were looking past CSU, and that's a scary result.

Imagine next week if they are looking past Sac St toward Fresno

As sick as I feel writing it, I feel like the Buffs were looking past CSU (but to what, I don't know). Hopefully they don't think they can just phone in the rest of the ooc sched. And just maybe this was the wake up call the entire team needed. I've got my fingers crossed.

The scary thing is a "wake up call" might not do us any good. We might just be downright atrocious. Sure, we'll get better as some of the youth get some experience as the weeks progress, but our opponents will get better as well..

Hope you're right, though.

The words "Smart" and "CU coaching staff" just don't belong in the same sentence

Bingo.

Still waiting for one person to tell me why we even need to have someone return a punt on our own 15 with 30 seconds left til halftime. Thought we learned our lesson last year against Ohio State fumbling in that situation. Guess not. Cost us the game, we were in complete control

The play calling was terrible, particularly in critical situations. I am watching Arizona look fairly efficient against Toledo. I just cannot fathom how we can be so badly outcoached. Please don't tell me the OL was any good even when we were up 14-3, they couldn't run block worth a sh*t. If this is the strength of this team we are in deep. Our OL play was butt ugly.

The play calling was terrible, particularly in critical situations. I am watching Arizona look fairly efficient against Toledo. I just cannot fathom how we can be so badly outcoached. Please don't tell me the OL was any good even when we were up 14-3, they couldn't run block worth a sh*t. If this is the strength of this team we are in deep. Our OL play was butt ugly.

Maybe somebody who knows more about OL play than I can explain this to me. Why the hell can't we open holes in the running game? It looks to me that the goal on running plays is the same as on passing plays - just keep the defense from penetrating the line of scrimmage. For running plays to work, you have to actually open a hole in a designated spot. I just don't see, and haven't seen for a long time now, any sign of our line having a plan for doing that. OL play has to be more than just leaning on your guy and hoping that the "skill position" players can find a way to make something happen....

We didn't look past anyone. We just aren't any good. Did the team fall into some sort of trap this week because they were looking ahead to what...A FCS team? Fresno in 2 wks? Bull****. It sucks to say but the better team won today. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and we got dominated on both sides of the ball in that area.

Not an oline technique guy but from my uneducated observation. Our guys got absolutely no push of the snap. They would stand up and just get in the way of a guy in front of them. We didn't pull our guards or get any lineman to the second level. On pass blocking our guys would miss assignments and allow guys to blow between gaps all day. The delayed blitzes were a disaster and our guys were way to slow to recognize where the man is coming from.

Csu got great push from their line and almost all our pressure came from the edges. I watch the first quarter again and wp(our best d lineman) got pushed back so far I thought he was playing lb.

Don't ask me how to fix but our interior oline and dline need major work.

Back