1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The JUCO Recruiting Board

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

For the first time in, well... ever... the Buffs are looking to make a splash by recruiting the JUCO ranks for the 2014 class.

By position, the following are the names that have come up in relation to CU:

Quarterbacks
    Turner Baty, City College of San Francisco - Originally signed with Kansas in 2011 & CU started showing interest late summer

Running Backs
    Marcus Horne, Arizona Western C.C. - Colorado offered around the 1st of August
    Vernard Roberts, Iowa Western C.C. - Colorado started looking at him in the spring
    Jay'Metric Tucker, Dakota College-Bottineau - December graduate with CU showing interest in the fall
    Joe Te'o, Diablo Valley C.C. - December graduate CU started looking at late summer
    Aaron Williams, College of the Siskiyous - 220 lber who runs a 4.4 with CU showing interest late summer

Wide Receivers
    Quentin Atkinson, Georgia Military College - December graduate that CU started looking at in the fall
    Sam Boyd, Riverside C.C. - Colorado interest in the spring but long thought an ASU lean; originally signed with SJSU
    Karl Holmes, Mt. Sacramento C.C. - Started at ASU before redshirting & leaving; CU interest started in spring
    Louis Gipson, College of the Canyons - Colorado interest started late summer
    Lavon Pearson, Feather River C.C. - Colorado interest, but he has given a verbal to Tennessee
    Dan Vear, College of the Canyons - Colorado interest showed up in late summer (maybe big enough to be a TE)

Tight Ends
    No one - shockingly

Offensive Tackles
    Patrick Au, Snow College - Colorado offer has been reported but academics are possibly an issue
    Shaquille Davis, Mt. Sacramento C.C. - December grad CU was showing interest in back in the spring
    Taylor Evans, Orange Coast C.C. - began drawing CU interest late summer
    Bobby Keenan
    , American River C.C. - visiting CU on 11/22
    Raul Martinez, Pasadena City C.C. - interest in CU showed up during the fall

Offensive Guards
    Haniteli Louisi, College of San Mateo - Colorado offered and the OV is schedule for 11/22

Centers
    Zach Heath, American River C.C. - Colorado started showing interest in late summer
    Robert McClure, Louisburg College - Colorado offered early and then re-scouted with continued interest late summer
    Wyatt Smith, Gulf Coast C.C. - Colorado offered as a Long Snapper & is visiting on 11/22

Defensive Tackles
    David Davis, Long Beach C.C. - December graduate bounce back from Washington State with CU interest showing in fall
    Trevor Kelly, College of San Mateo - Visiting Colorado on 11/22
    Jeff Worthy, Santa Ana C.C. - Colorado offered but he gave a verbal to Arizona

Defensive Ends
    Julio Derosier, College of the Sequoias - December grad with Colorado interest in the fall
    Nathan Mitogo, College of the Canyons - Colorado interest showed up in late fall but he looks like a Utah lean
    Dalyou Pierson, Pasadena City C.C. - Colorado interest in late summer
    Pio Vatuvei, College of San Mateo - Bounce back from Washington with reported Colorado interest

Linebackers
    James Adam-Heard, Pierce C.C. - Kent Baer recruiting the ILB for Colorado (unusual - Klayton Adams is generally our JUCO guy)
    John Durney, College of Siskiyous - Colorado interest in the 240 lb ILB who runs a 4.5 started in the spring
    Edward Muldrow, Copiah-Lincoln C.C. - Colorado offered the OLB, but he's a verbal to West Virginia
    Eric Ortiz, Mt. San Antonio C.C. - Full qualifier ILB who can leave after 1 year; CU started recruiting in spring
    Epie Sona, De Anza C.C. - December graduate OLB that Colorado started recruiting late summer
    Don Tyler, Mt. San Antonio C.C. - December graduate OLB that Colorado started recruiting in the spring

Defensive Backs
    Darien Dyles, College of the Siskiyous - Colorado interest in the fall for the cornerback / safety / nickel
    Chris Glover, West Los Angelas C.C. - Colorado interest in the fall for the 4.4 speed CB coming off an ACL
    Titus Hasson, Fullerton C.C. - Colorado started recruiting the safety in the spring
    Deshane Hines, College of San Mateo - Visiting Colorado on 11/22
    Darian Lindsey, Mt. San Antonio C.C. - Colorado started showing interest in the CB in the spring
    Michael Lilly, Santa Ana C.C. - Colorado interest
    Doyin Sule, Santa Ana C.C. - Safety is a December graduate that Colorado started recruiting over the summer
    Sam Williams, Kilgore J.C. - Colorado started recruiting the safety over the summer

*Pretty much all of the above information was derived from the Rivals JC Gridiron reports.

2. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

Thanks nik.

3. nolabuff

nolabuff Club Member Club Member

Thanks nik, you answered my question to the extreme.

4. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Holy guacamole, great info nik...

5. DavisBuff

DavisBuff Club Member Club Member

Awesome job compiling all of this info.
    What is your best guess as how many JUCO players we pick up this year?
    My guess is 2 OL, 1 DL and 1 more. I hope Louisi is one of them.

6. Buffnik

I think your guess is pretty good. Although I'm sure the coaches would love to find a WR, too. That's a position where there are usually a lot of good JUCOs available and we could definitely use a bigger guy who can run.

Edit: And we could definitely use the long snapper.

7. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

DB list is pretty long, too. I suppose that's more of an indictment of the offenses we face rather than the personnel we have returning.

8. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

If John Durney's stats are correct at LB, he is a huge want.

9. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Thank Nik! Great work. Man this is great news and needed badly. There was a story on the news this AM about our coaches huge salary...I truly think that CU is starting to get it and are going to do what is needed to turn this program around. It is all making sense now.

10. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

Nik do you ever get any work done? Some of your research that you summarize here must take a lot of time. REP and agree-this could be a major turning point in CU football if we are able to recruit and admit a handful or close to it, of ready to play JUCOs.

11. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

bowl game or bust in 2014. time to turn this ship around.

12. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I'll take the 220 lb. RB who runs a 4.4 for $100, Alex.

13. Buffnik

There was a ton of speed on that board.

I doubt we offer all or even most of those guys. But it certainly shows that our staff is doing a lot of JUCO scouting, stacking their board, and then seeing who Admissions will approve. Then they're not hesitating to go after talent from the JUCO ranks. They understand how valuable this aspect of recruiting is for a program.

14. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

And I will add they would not be spending the time scouting the Jucos if they had not been told you can get them in. There is more changing than we think in Boulder right now. I think the Queen Mary has started to turn.

15. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

ymmsr. Nice summary Nik! Thanks for putting it together. Definitely some players we could use on that list.

16. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

I also think HCMM is a good enough person and honest enough man, he actually feels a little guilty bringing in the paycheck he is. He not only wants to win, he feels he needs to start winning now.

17. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

You guys doubted that MM could turn CU around in twice the time he did SJSU. And that remains to be seen. But I think MM looks at his time at SJSU and ssys to himself "If I had just done this, this and this I could have turned it around the quicker!"

I yhink he was pissed after the UA game because he felt winning that was key to going bowling THIS year!

18. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

You hit on something that I sense from M2 that is very important and very different from what we have had around here in recent years.

He is smart enough to know that he can't win every game but that doesn't mean that he has to like or accept that fact. He has been beaten badly a few times this year and come out the next week looking like he expects to win the next game.

19. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I'll wait to see some of the JUCOs get into CU before I get too excited. I don't want to spend all my time on the phone calling those ****ing CCs and telling them to get their **** together.

SBG likes this.
  20. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

**** you

21. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I don't think anyone doubts this will be turned around in 6 years.

22. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

When he brought his almost whole staff if was doom and gloom around here. And yes, with no four and five stars signed (or 3.7) there are still some crying that it will never get better.

23. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think we have come to a consensus that stars are irrelevant.

24. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Original arguments for $300 please

25. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

There should be a thread to discuss this. Has this topic ever been breached on Allbuffs?

26. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

Breached, breeched, broached, blanched, beached, belched, and just about every other "B" word you could use. And stars are totally irrelevant. That's why your perennial top 25 teams are loaded with worthless 4 and 5 star players. A good staff only goes for under the radar players.

27. o_robbie

o_robbie I don't think before I post

I'll drink to that!

28. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Great post Nik, rep sent. We need several of these kids and I'm glad HCMM seems to get that.

29. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

They need a lot more than 4 JUCO's. I say 8-10 and yes I agree a lot of them need to be on the line of scrimmage.

30. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Unfortunately, I don't know that there are necessarily 8-10 spots left available in this class for us.