1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the ku fake punt....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Highflyer, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

how could they not call illegal man (men actually) downfield? There were at least 3 ku players that were 10 yards down field, not including the outside guys.

2. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I don't know, but that play pissed me off! I coudl see it coming when they lined up.

3. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

I believe that passes completed behind the line of scrimmage allows men downfield. Screens passes and those little underhand-flip passes to an RB - all of those can have linemen downfield.

The fake punt's pass was thrown to one of the 2nd tier blockers so it was completed, technically, 'behind the line of scrimmage'.

4. Gum San

Gum San Guest

RIIIIGHT! You and everyone else in the stadium, but the coaches and the players, were insightful on that one play!

Fact is with that rugby-style punt play, every punt is a potential fake, so pick your "poison" on any punt!

Oh, and those guys in white? They get schollies to play FB too! And their coaches are also paid a lot of money.( seems they were undefeated and ranked 17th before last night) Give them a little credit for that!

5. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

Who cares abut the penalty, how could the coaching staff not see that coming. 4th and relatively short and punting from your opponents 40, it's the textbook fake situation.

6. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

:bang: :stupid: :iagree:

KU was also down in that situation. You may argue that it would be a punt if they had the lead, but they didn't. There was also 7 minutes left in the 3rd? They needed something.

7. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I think this is 100% correct. My first thought was that there should have been a penalty, but seeing the replay the pass was completed behind the line, which I think makes the linemen downfield legal.... :huh:

8. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

That was such a joke on our coaching staff....myself and about 8 other people around me kept yelling "Watch the Fake"...and our team & coaches seemed to be completely caught off guard

But I guess the 50,000 fans who saw it coming have never been D1 football coaches, so how could we know they were going to fake it??

9. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

What upset me about that is that Hawk likely would have done the same or lineup for it. He has the same instinct as Mangino, but didn't recognize it.

Not sure if he or Riddle is to blame. Riddle should have at least told Hawk that a fake *might* occur and to get the D on the field.

10. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

Like Marty Feldman told Gene Wilder while standing in the grave in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, "It could get worse..."

Watching the end of the Florida-Ark game, the TV announcers and everyone BUT sooeys predicted a Tebow-Draw to pick up their last First Down and get them in position for the game-winning FG.

Yet the sooey's merrily allowed him to reach the line of scrimmage and beyond before stepping up to stop him.

Arky got what they asked for - a loss. At least CU decided to overcome this bad defensive play. There were so many bad plays in the 3rd Qtr, yet CU came back. THAT is more impressive because of the bad D play at times. It proved that, just because they screw up once or twice or ten times, they can do better the other 20 and overcome them.