What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The landscape of college athletics has just been changed.

This sounds exactly like what CSU is doing right now anyway.

Which is exactly why I wish both universities and fan bases would work more closely together. Instead, I see posts about "killing the RMS" because "why should we fund CSU's program" and on and on. I don't understand that thought process at all.

Sorry, but you're wrong. First, I don't cite anything prior to 1997, so Coach Mac and the 80s are irrelevant (left in 1994, as I'm sure you're aware). While CU has historically had a winning program, it has only the seven winning seasons cited in my post over the last fifteen years. That's less than a 50% average of "winning seasons." Anyone with a brain can see a correlation. Whether its CSU playing off CU's success, CU using the benefit of a strong college football state to win games, or some combination of the two, I don't know. Regardless, I'm on point.

Are you seriously tying CSU's success to CU's and vice versa based on a purposefully ridiculous/extremely small statistical sample and then using that to support your argument? Do you like driving with blinders on?

Lets get real CU v. CSU is not some game that has existed for the last 100 years. I say dump the series or play every game at Folsom.

Are you seriously tying CSU's success to CU's and vice versa based on a purposefully ridiculous/extremely small statistical sample and then using that to support your argument? Do you like driving with blinders on?

Explain how it's "purposefully" ridiculous? It correlates with the rise and fall of college football in Colorado in my lifetime.

Also, did some further research and CSU has 17 winning seasons between 1950 and 1997. CU had winning seasons in 16 of 17 of those years. Granted, CU had winning seasons 70% of the time over the course of those fifty years, but I took my "blinders" off. Happy?

Last edited:
Lets get real CU v. CSU is not some game that has existed for the last 100 years. I say dump the series or play every game at Folsom.

I'm not sure if you're aware that CU has played CSU more than any other opponent in it's history. More than any Big 8/12 team. 100 years? Well, actually I believe the first time CU and CSU played WAS over 100 years ago. I'll have to check that, though. So while it's true that they haven't played every year for 100 years, the series does go back into the 1800's.

Again, the hate of CSU is not what is driving me to want to ditch the RMS. I just hate Invesco. It's a ****** place to watch a college football game. I'd play CSU in Boulder whenever they wanted to. I have no desire to travel up to Ft. Collins to watch a game there, though. It's not a Home/Home series. It's just a Home series. That would be fine for me.

And dragging us kicking and screaming back on subject for a moment, I really do believe that CSU will just be a victim of an overall larger trend. As somebody pointed out, CU will stand to make more all by itself than the entire MWC. What we're going to end up with a system where there's maybe 64 schools that will control 90% of the college athletic revenues. I'm grateful that CU will be one of those schools, but I'm not excited about what college athletics will look like when that happens.

Forbes with a love piece on Larry Scott:

So to see Mr. Scott’s assertive, aggressive leadership over the last few months is not surprising when you consider that you’re dealing with (a) a high-achiever to begin with, who (b) has spent his career trying to make and raise a buck in women’s tennis of all places.
The afore-mentioned achievements with the WTA is a testament to Mr. Scott’s salesmanship, doggedness, and resourcefulness. His WTA experience engrained a ferocity and fearlessness that you have to have to attract corporate dollars and media interest when your product isn’t the NFL, MLB, or the NBA.

http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney...s-great-leadership-forging-hefty-pac-12-deal/

As somebody pointed out, CU will stand to make more all by itself than the entire MWC. What we're going to end up with a system where there's maybe 64 schools that will control 90% of the college athletic revenues. I'm grateful that CU will be one of those schools, but I'm not excited about what college athletics will look like when that happens.

It will basically cease to be college athletics at that point. There is no way any of the non-bcs conferences surive. If that scenerio plays out - the NCAA will be done away with. Can you imagine what a new "rules" enforcement authority would look like if programs like Ohio State, Alabama, USC and others have a large say in the scope of a new governing body? Amataeur athletics? Yeah right. I will just watch pro football. At least the NFL will have a salary cap.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you're aware that CU has played CSU more than any other opponent in it's history. More than any Big 8/12 team. 100 years? Well, actually I believe the first time CU and CSU played WAS over 100 years ago. I'll have to check that, though. So while it's true that they haven't played every year for 100 years, the series does go back into the 1800's.

Again, the hate of CSU is not what is driving me to want to ditch the RMS. I just hate Invesco. It's a ****** place to watch a college football game. I'd play CSU in Boulder whenever they wanted to. I have no desire to travel up to Ft. Collins to watch a game there, though. It's not a Home/Home series. It's just a Home series. That would be fine for me.

I am aware they have played alot of games 73 in fact dating back to 1902 but only 23 of those games have happened since 1958. I just don't think it is that beneficial of a series for CU and by the attendance numbers the people of Colorado don't care for it.

RE Playing CSU:
CU is not going to be a national powerhouse simply based on getting the best Colorado Prep athletes, we need the kids from Cali, Texas, etc. in order to win. As an out of stater I can say that none of these kids will care about CSU. It'll mean nothing to them, but everything to the CSU players. Then CSU (who cares more about this game than any other) comes out and plays their best ball while CU gets caught off guard (all too often letely) and it just makes us look bad and hurts our record, future recruting and everythign else. The rivalry only helps CSU and hurts CU.

Get rid of CSU, and then try to get all the best in state players because we are the most elite team for them!

I'll take an out of state team like Nebraska each year (like the OSU-Miami rivalry,) but not our instate handicapped second cousin....

The CSU hate always perplexes me. Why spend the emotion? What concerns me is that the game will eventually become something along the lines of playing UNC or Mines. I think it's good for CU if the game is meaningful. The problem is that CSU isn't going to do what it takes to remain relevant in college athletics. The series will die on it's own, probably when the MWC disbands and CSU will have nowhere to go. With this new contract, I see that happening relatively soon, like in the next 6-7 years. Maybe 10 if they're lucky and can get their act together. It's not going to be easy though. They won't have very many games on TV, their revenues are in the crapper, and they're just not a very good program right now.

It will basically cease to be college athletics at that point. There is no way any of the non-bcs conferences surive. If that scenerio plays out - the NCAA will be done away with. Can you imagine what a new "rules" enforcement authority would look like if programs like Ohio State, Alabama, USC and others have a large say in the scope of a new governing body? Amataeur athletics? Yeah right. I will just watch pro football. At least the NFL will have a salary cap.

C'mon, football survives at a lot of places that don't get any TV money. They play football at Yale and Northern Colorado, they play at Maine and Montana. They don't get on TV often, but fans go to the games, coaches get paid, some players get scholarships.

Bowl Division Football is a hugely expensive endeavor--85 scholarships, highly paid coaches, facilities, trainers, travel, etc. To pay for it, you must put butts in the seats. Even if CU ends up with a cool $25 million a year from the conference payout, it will pay for less than half the AD's budget. The bottom line is that several (many?) football programs now competing in the top level cannot afford it . . . so play at a level below. You won't be on ESPN very often, your smack talk on the internet and at the water cooler will be weak, but you can still go the games, root for your team, and eat a hot dog.

C'mon, football survives at a lot of places that don't get any TV money. They play football at Yale and Northern Colorado, they play at Maine and Montana. They don't get on TV often, but fans go to the games, coaches get paid, some players get scholarships.

This is all true, but the gap between the big boys and everybody else is going to be more pronounced as a result of this trend. Everybody who's not in the big four conferences will be relegated to the status of Maine and UNC. Those schools may decide to just play with students again and not bother with scholarships. Is that necessarily a bad thing? I don't know.

Bowl Division Football is a hugely expensive endeavor--85 scholarships, highly paid coaches, facilities, trainers, travel, etc. To pay for it, you must put butts in the seats. Even if CU ends up with a cool $25 million a year from the conference payout, it will pay for less than half the AD's budget. The bottom line is that several (many?) football programs now competing in the top level cannot afford it . . . so play at a level below. You won't be on ESPN very often, your smack talk on the internet and at the water cooler will be weak, but you can still go the games, root for your team, and eat a hot dog.

Me personally, if CSU were to drop down a level, I would just simply stop watching and following college athletics in this state and I doubt I would be alone. There are plenty of pro-sporting options to choose from and I would likely buy season tickets to the Broncos instead.

Last edited:
Me personally, if CSU were to drop down a level, I would just simply stop watching and following college athletics in this state and I doubt I would be alone. There are plenty of pro-sporting options to choose from and I would likely buy season tickets to the Broncos instead.

And this is why CSU is nowhere close to a big time program

Interesting, maybe a lot of people feel the same way. Where I live a lot of people went to schools without Div. 1 football programs; many of them are still college football fans. I think a lot of fans would go see CSU play Wyoming in Ft. Collins or go see CSU play Montana in a playoff game, even if CSU was an FCS team.

And this is why CSU is nowhere close to a big time program

Why? Because I have no interest in watching Division 1AA football? Because a corrput system of college athletics would have finally put a kill shot through a program I follow closely.

I will support CSU as long as it commits and maintains D-1 status. I buy season tickets, haven't missed a game in nearly 4 years and donate to the RamClub. However, I would have no interest in watching the University of Northern Iowa roll through on a beautiful Saturday in Colorado. I would just find other things to do with my time and money.

Last edited:
Because I have no interest in watching Division 1AA football? I will support CSU as long as it commits and maintains D-1 status. I buy season tickets, haven't missed a game in nearly 4 years and donate to the RamClub. However, I would have no interest in watching the University of Northern Iowa roll through on a beautiful Saturday in Colorado. I would just find other things to do with my time and money.

That's kind of sad. If you love your school, do something about it. Don't just let it die. Personally, I'd watch CU if it was in DII. Hell, we had a DII coach here the last five years and I probably only missed one or two home games that whole stretch. You need to pick up your level of passion.

That's kind of sad. If you love your school, do something about it. Don't just let it die. Personally, I'd watch CU if it was in DII. Hell, we had a DII coach here the last five years and I probably only missed one or two home games that whole stretch. You need to pick up your level of passion.

I am as big a supporter as you will find. I am not a high dollar donor by any stretch, but I do what I can and try to get people to the games from Denver every home game. But like I said, I have no real interest in D-1AA football. Maybe I would attend a game or two, but honestly I would probably just start doing other things with my time and money. I would most likely just stop following college football altogether and head out to the Bronco games.

The interesting thing about that to me, is that I am the exact guy the new PAC-12 needs to penetrate into the pro-sports saturated Denver market share. I watch a lot of CU games and cheer against them. However, I would have absolutely no interest in watching any of those games if CU and CSU weren't playing at the same level. Whats it to me at that point? What's it to the large population of the 40,000 or so CSU alumni that live in the Denver metro? I, like many transplants, never grew up here. I never followed the Buffs or developed any allegiance towards the University.

Last edited:

I like to think that we moved down to Div II for the last 5 years. If you look at it like that we actually weren't that bad. A Div II team beat oklahoma and georgia. And we had a 500 record against our DIV II brothers. :lol: :sad1: :lol:

Why? Because I have no interest in watching Division 1AA football? Because a corrput system of college athletics would have finally put a kill shot through a program I follow closely.

I will support CSU as long as it commits and maintains D-1 status. I buy season tickets, haven't missed a game in nearly 4 years and donate to the RamClub. However, I would have no interest in watching the University of Northern Iowa roll through on a beautiful Saturday in Colorado. I would just find other things to do with my time and money.

I think the opposite. While corruption exists, it will exist everywhere you can rub two nickels together. I think the system is overloaded. Its oversaturated. Too many damn teams and mouths to feed. I think it might be a good thing if there is a split so that teams and schools can be on a more appropriately level playing field based on their resources. You might actually find yourself more engaged and interested as a new pecking order is estabilished and your program is competing for the ultimate prize.

I am as big a supporter as you will find. I am not a high dollar donor by any stretch, but I do what I can and try to get people to the games from Denver every home game. But like I said, I have no real interest in D-1AA football. Maybe I would attend a game or two, but honestly I would probably just start doing other things with my time and money. I would most likely just stop following college football altogether and head out to the Bronco games.

The interesting thing about that to me, is that I am the exact guy the new PAC-12 needs to penetrate into the pro-sports saturated Denver market share. I watch a lot of CU games and cheer against them. However, I would have absolutely no interest in watching any of those games if CU and CSU weren't playing at the same level. Whats it to me at that point? What's it to the large population of the 40,000 or so CSU alumni that live in the Denver metro? I, like many transplants, never grew up here. I never followed the Buffs or developed any allegiance towards the University.

You might want to show up for the Montana State game, just ask D-II Danny. As for FCS football, they can put a pretty decent product on the field and you can be competitive with regional players. There is also something a little purer about the game when there isn't a billion dollars involved. That said, I never really could get too excited about playing CSU. I guarantee you the boys in Laramie will still hate your guts though.

You might want to show up for the Montana State game, just ask D-II Danny. As for FCS football, they can put a pretty decent product on the field and you can be competitive with regional players. There is also something a little purer about the game when there isn't a billion dollars involved. That said, I never really could get too excited about playing CSU. I guarantee you the boys in Laramie will still hate your guts though.

I still think it is incredible that every picture and statue of a horse on that campus has its ass facing Fort Collins. That is some serious dedication up there.

I still think it is incredible that every picture and statue of a horse on that campus has its ass facing Fort Collins. That is some serious dedication up there.

That is why we hear more positive stuff about Wyoming fans making the effort to go to the games weather be damned. Why can't CSU fans match their rival in that regard?

Perhaps the idea of picking on your own size does make some sense when it comes to CU-CSU and CSU-Wyoming.

That is why we hear more positive stuff about Wyoming fans making the effort to go to the games weather be damned. Why can't CSU fans match their rival in that regard?

Perhaps the idea of picking on your own size does make some sense when it comes to CU-CSU and CSU-Wyoming.

I think Wyoming has had just as many attendance problems as CSU has in recent years. Some of those things have been covered up by the 2 for 1 series against Nebraska and Texas. I heard nearly around 3,000 Texas fans bought WYO season tickets last season just to go to that one game. The same is happening this season with Nebraska.

I think Wyoming has had just as many attendance problems as CSU has in recent years. Some of those things have been covered up by the 2 for 1 series against Nebraska and Texas. I heard nearly around 3,000 Texas fans bought WYO season tickets last season just to go to that one game. The same is happening this season with Nebraska.

It would amaze you how much Wyo season tickets would cost compared to one game at their stadiums. Pretty unreal if you asked me.

It would amaze you how much Wyo season tickets would cost compared to one game at their stadiums. Pretty unreal if you asked me.

Its smart marketing on WYO's part. I think CSU is going to be forced into the same type of arrangments here pretty soon.

Any big time football program coming to Ft. Collins in the coming years?

Not really. Minnesota is coming back in 2015. The last time the Gophs were in town though the game drew over 35,000. However, I think Minnesota was actually ranked at that time. That program is terrible right now.

Last edited:
Sorry, but you're wrong. First, I don't cite anything prior to 1997, so Coach Mac and the 80s are irrelevant (left in 1994, as I'm sure you're aware). While CU has historically had a winning program, it has only the seven winning seasons cited in my post over the last fifteen years. That's less than a 50% average of "winning seasons." Anyone with a brain can see a correlation. Whether its CSU playing off CU's success, CU using the benefit of a strong college football state to further its success, or some combination of the two, I don't know. Regardless, I'm on point.

Wow!!! Talk about trying to manipulate the data - So you are saying that football did not exist before 1997 at CU....You are NOT on point. By the way you cited 1996 in your stats which according to my calendar is before 1997. You are trying to take an extremely small sampling and trying to say there is a correlation...there is not(Dan Hawkins was coach for a third of the last 15 years and he certainly is not representative of CU football)...That is like me visiting Denver for 5 days and it rains all 5 days and then I go back and then saying it rains in Denver 100% of the time.

That is like me visiting Denver for 5 days and it rains all 5 days and then I go back and then saying it rains in Denver 100% of the time.

Hold on a sec... I was once in Cancun for a week and it rained every day. Are you telling me it doesn't rain every day in Cancun? If so, I beg to differ.

Back