1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The last time we played Stanford

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffsNYC, Oct 5, 2011.

1. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

I am still pissed about that game. 1993, Buffs ranked in the top ten, Kordell at QB. It was a tight game as I recall. In the second half, it became apparent that Stanford could not stop Kordell running the option. In fact, I don't even think it was really an option, Kordell would just run as if it was an option play, never make the toss and pick up at least five yards every time. Then, Mac apparently decided that we weren't an option team and started calling passes and handing the ball to the RB. We lost by 4. I even recall the announcers wondering what the **** Mac was doing not running the option when Stanford hadn't stopped it all day.

As I said, I'm still pissed about it.:bang: Sometimes Mac was so frustrating, don't get me started about Nebraska in '94 . . .

2. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Was that the game where the Stanford receiver caught the ball in the endzone and held it for 0.0002 seconds- and the officials called it a TD?

Or was that the 1992 game?

3. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

What was the touchdown tommy game?

4. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Tommy Vardell. I remember thinking that kid was a kick-ass football player. I'm sorry I can't hate Stanford.

[​IMG]

5. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I was ther, and yes, I am still angry too.

6. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

They had a guy named Glyn Milburn that was kind of a pre-Reggie Bush as well. They actually had a pretty good squad that year. Bob Whitfield at tackle as well. I tell you what though, hindsight being 20/20, can you imagine Kordell in a true spread option offense. We would have scored 80 points a game in '94.

7. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Pretty sure that was the 93 game.

Talk about missed opportunities.

Every loss of the 93 season were games we should have won - even kNU. Don't even get me started on the Miami game.

8. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

in the national championship year a Stanford WR flat drops an easy TD pass late in the game in the south EZ that would have likely meant a CU loss. i was about 200 feet from it. so, that happens....no MNC for the Buffs.

9. The Guest

The Guest Guest

As I often mention, that 1990 Stanford game was my first game at Folsom.

10. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

Wow.... I was ready to drive from Boulder on a Thursday with 3 friends..... The car we were supposed to take had an engine problem and we had no transportation!!!!!

11. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Yep, and EB scored the winning TD with only seconds left.

There were a lot of close calls that season. In fact I will go into Dan Hawkins speak and say that we were 10-15 plays from not even having a winning season.

12. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

That was the first game I got kicked out of...(stupid fans infront of me started a fight, even stupider I decided to join in).

13. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Yes. 1993 night game @ Palo Alto on ESPN, 41-37 Cardinal. Stanford was ranked #20 after a top 10 finish in 1992, Bill Walsh was coaching them. Wild back-and-forth game, CU was up 37-27 with 4 minutes left. Chris Hudson got beat in the back of the endzone by WR Tony Cline, who was leveled by SS Dwayne Davis right as he came down with the ball. Ball came out, no instant replay (ESPN showed it a few times), refs had a conference and awarded the TD with only seconds remaining. CU had 551 yards of offense (Lamont and Rashaan each going over 100 rushing) but could not stop the TE Justin Armour (3 TDs).

We also lost @ Stanford in 1991, 28-21 (Tommy Vardell game).

From 1991:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  14. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

wasn't Justin Armour a CO kid?

15. BuffNut99

Yes. Torched by our own that night.

16. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

:nod: Manitou Springs Mustang.

17. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Agree, that was one of the most frustrating games of the Mac era. I distinctly remember him justifying changing the game plan by saying "They were just daring us to throw and gave our passing game no respect." Sheesh, if Mac would have been even a good game day coach, we might have won 3 or 4 MNC's.

18. buff190

buff190 Club Member Club Member

I was at that game too and the play I remember the most was a pass down the middle of the field to Westbrook who was about 10 yards ahead of the nearest Cardinal defender. A perfect pass aaaaaand it goes right through his hands. A sure TD. I think it was late in the game too but can't remember for sure. Anyway a heartbreaking loss.

19. MontanaBuff

MontanaBuff Club Member Club Member

Here is a link to the 1993 game ... http://www.cuatthegame.com/1993/no-20-stanford-cardinal-scores-14-points-late-to-stun-buffs/

For good measure, here is the 1991 "Touchdown" Tommy Cardell game ... http://www.cuatthegame.com/1991/stanford-changes-in/

And the 1990 game, in which the Buffs scored on fourth down late (and just barely) .... http://www.cuatthegame.com/1990/stanford-bieniemy-over-the-top/

And, finally, the 1987 game, in which Bieniemy got 100-yard game No. 1 ... http://www.cuatthegame.com/1987/stanford-loss-of-ralphie-ii-fun-with-initials-fred-casotti/

Remember, when in doubt, you can always go to the Archives!! :nod:

20. The Guest

The Guest Guest

They always seem to come to us!

21. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

Just watched highlights of the 1993 game with Stanford. Stanford's game winning TD was a TERRIBLE call by the refs. No way that's a catch.

22. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Well, it's best for Stanford that it didn't happen against Mizzou. They'd still be whining about it.

23. BuffNut99

Even more BS than I remember it!

[video=youtube;OmuTr6iMBd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmuTr6iMBd0[/video]

24. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

wow. That was bull****. GET REVENGE BOYS!

25. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

After seeing that video... I have changed my mind.... I always thought it was a 50/50 call and that the offiense should get the benefit of the doubt..... I was drunk watching that game so I may not have had the best judgment....

looking at it now...

no ing way.... he did not even touch the grass with posession of the ball....