What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Mad Hatter got fired today at LSU

The AD is self sufficient though, this has nothing to do with the tax payers. They bring in $40 million a year from the SEC network and sell out a huge stadium every game. I don't think they are that worried about the buyout.

It was always about "bad optics" on the finances. State budget shortfalls and a huge budget issue on higher education funding (balanced budget they had in LA was tied to those record high oil prices of several years ago when some DC politicians were talking about a "windfall profit" tax). Services have been cut for everyone and the job market isn't great. Plus they've had some more natural disasters hit, which has strained things considerably.

Within all that, it's tough to announce that LSU is going to pay a coach and staff all those millions of dollars to not coach... even if the money is coming from SEC revenue, ticket & merchandise revenue, sponsorships, and private donors.

They were too slow to move last year - the bean counters and politicians realized what it was going to cost and stopped them. This year, they moved too fast for the other parties to realize what they were up to.

Terrible day for Louisiana taxpayers and LSU fans.
I think the decision was made last year and the politicians short circuited it. This is nothing more than executing last year's plan prior to the political interference. The timing was the plan.

They were too slow to move last year - the bean counters and politicians realized what it was going to cost and stopped them. This year, they moved too fast for the other parties to realize what they were up to.

Some boosters somewhere are going to pick up the tab for Miles. Not the taxpayer. Lump in funds coming from the SECnet and ESPN.

I like Miles a lot and I feel bad for him, until he walks thru the banks front door anyway. He's had a great career and he's done some great things. He'll do well on TV and I predict ESPn has him signed up before Friday. :D

LSU is probably making a mistake here. But they are also still mad about Saban leaving them and then landing at Alabama. Until Nick retires everyone in the SEC will be trying to measure up.

It was always about "bad optics" on the finances. State budget shortfalls and a huge budget issue on higher education funding (balanced budget they had in LA was tied to those record high oil prices of several years ago when some DC politicians were talking about a "windfall profit" tax). Services have been cut for everyone and the job market isn't great. Plus they've had some more natural disasters hit, which has strained things considerably.

Within all that, it's tough to announce that LSU is going to pay a coach and staff all those millions of dollars to not coach... even if the money is coming from SEC revenue, ticket & merchandise revenue, sponsorships, and private donors.

I agree that it is bad optics. In reality some of the self sufficient AD money should be crossing balance sheet back into the schools general fund because times are tough these days. Then again, once you do that, the politicians in the state start to take a different view of things...

Miles is a well-known HC recruiting sleaze! Always has been. He defines the $EC approach to recruiting and it showed at Okie Lite before LSU.
Besides, both Mac I and Eddie Crowder knew the guts of recruiting relies upon your assistants, HC is a closer, not a recruiter.
News flash: Sleaze Wins, Good Guys Don't.

I take no joy in that fact, but you guys who routinely mock "sleazy" coaches or programs seem to ignore results. It's nice to be associated with a program that is seemingly doing it the"right way", but that comes 2nd to winning at big time football schools.

Who was the last "good guy" HC to win a national title? Lloyd Carr?

Since Michigan won in '97 these are the Head Coaches who have won a national title:

Saban x5
Meyer x3
Jimbo
Chizik
Miles
Mack Brown
Carroll
Tressel
Coker
Stoops
Bowden
Fulmer

I take no joy in that fact, but you guys who routinely mock "sleazy" coaches or programs seem to ignore results. It's nice to be associated with a program that is seemingly doing it the"right way", but that comes 2nd to winning at big time football schools.

Since Michigan won in '97 these are the Head Coaches who have won a national title:

Saban x5
Meyer x3
Jimbo
Chizik
Miles
Mack Brown
Carroll
Tressel
Coker
Stoops
Bowden
Fulmer
There is a monumental difference between Tressel's indiscretions and what Briles did.

Goodman actually tweeted that MM would be on the "shortlist" at LSU if we keep winning.

LMAO.

I want MM to stay anyway, but could you imagine LSU fan's reaction to them hiring a dude who will, at the absolute best, have a head coaching record of 37-49 at the end of the season?

Goodman actually tweeted that MM would be on the "shortlist" at LSU if we keep winning.

LMAO.

I want MM to stay anyway, but could you imagine LSU fan's reaction to them hiring a dude who will, at the absolute best, have a head coaching record of 37-49 at the end of the season?

You know what's even crazier with how fans are? Let's say that CU went on an incredibly unlikely run and ran the slate the rest of the way in the Pac-12 to get into the playoff at 12-1, vaulting MacIntyre into one of the super elite jobs like LSU. There are a lot of CU fans who would think it was for the best if the upshot was he brought Lindgren with him and CU promoted Leavitt to HC with Chev dropping the "co" part of his OC title. Fans never value what they have. Popular assistant coaches are like popular backup QBs - fan favorite guys on the roster.

Chis Landry tweeted out after the Oregon game that he has received quite a few calls from AD's about McIntyre.

Saban x5
Meyer x3
Jimbo
Chizik
Miles
Mack Brown
Carroll
Tressel
Coker
Stoops
Bowden
Fulmer
Saban and Meyer are excellent coaches who recruit great players to well known programs (and NCAA breadwinners, SLTOW!) and develop them. Did either ever have to drive more than 90 minutes to secure a visit with any four or five star kid they were recruiting? Or did they ever have their Admissions Dept. ever say "no" to any suspect academic or "character" types? Same with Brown and maybe Stoops or Coker.

The rest? Fine! Roll with the cheaters. Winning beats any sort of character concern for you, you've made that clear here and in the past. I'll wager on my opinion that you're one of those types that when getting beat at a board game, even with a little kid, you knock over the board or try to change rules mid-stream---anything to win. Got it!

Also, Russillo (who is very plugged into LSU) said at the beginning of his show that the firing of Les Miles fell apart last year because Jimbo and Sexton backed out after initially saying yes, not because of the budget issues facing the school and external pressures. Basically that AD really messed up.

Gotcha, how was he owed anyway?

Chis Landry tweeted out after the Oregon game that he has received quite a few calls from AD's about McIntyre.

You know what's even crazier with how fans are? Let's say that CU went on an incredibly unlikely run and ran the slate the rest of the way in the Pac-12 to get into the playoff at 12-1, vaulting MacIntyre into one of the super elite jobs like LSU. There are a lot of CU fans who would think it was for the best if the upshot was he brought Lindgren with him and CU promoted Leavitt to HC with Chev dropping the "co" part of his OC title. Fans never value what they have. Popular assistant coaches are like popular backup QBs - fan favorite guys on the roster.

Im hard pressed to believe that MacIntyre wouldnt try real hard take Leavitt with him. I dont see Lindgren being SEC caliber OC. I dont see Chiv being either or ready for a HC. I'd be ok with JL getting the HC job. But any other staffers getting it make me a bit nervous.

George better get the check book out. For the first time in a long time we are starting to look and feel like we are for real. I dont want to be a stepping stone. Keeping in mind that we have 50 some Jrs and Srs on this team which makes next year likely a little rockier. I want to retain what we have and keep building on it.

Im hard pressed to believe that MacIntyre wouldnt try real hard take Leavitt with him. I dont see Lindgren being SEC caliber OC. I dont see Chiv being either or ready for a HC. I'd be ok with JL getting the HC job. But any other staffers getting it make me a bit nervous.

George better get the check book out. For the first time in a long time we are starting to look and feel like we are for real. I dont want to be a stepping stone. Keeping in mind that we have 50 some Jrs and Srs on this team which makes next year likely a little rockier. I want to retain what we have and keep building on it.

Attendance boost from winning along with the bump in concessions, sales of the higher-priced tix, merchandising and donations (plus some likely carry-over to MBB with attendance from this)... and RG will have a lot more money to play with.

Attendance boost from winning along with the bump in concessions, sales of the higher-priced tix, merchandising and donations (plus some likely carry-over to MBB with attendance from this)... and RG will have a lot more money to play with.

It's hard for me to believe that he hasn't gotten some inquries on JL. Once a smart AD or recruiter looks into his past and if the D keeps shining the way it has Its going to be hard to keep them both.

From listening to Mac talk it seems to me he feels this is a destination job where he can create a legacy, not use it as a stepping stone.

From listening to Mac talk it seems to me he feels this is a destination job where he can create a legacy, not use it as a stepping stone.

At the least, he's not likely to look anywhere else before the 2018 season is over. His dad changed jobs while he was playing for him and he ended up changing teams, which sucked. I will bet that he won't put Jay in a bad spot like that. Especially now that Montez played well and any career thoughts about maybe needing to follow his senior QB out the door have been put to rest.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe Mac would leave while his son is still here

Everyone already talking about MM going someplace else and taking assistants with him really need to not just tap the brakes but slam them on. No RG does not need to get the checkbook out today. It was that thinking that got Juicebox an extension.

I think it would come down to his relationship with RG since he wasn't hired by him.
I imagine it's pretty good considering RG stuck with him after last year. If they weren't on the exact same page, I think RG would have fired him and moved on to his "own" guy.

I imagine it's pretty good considering RG stuck with him after last year. If they weren't on the exact same page, I think RG would have fired him and moved on to his "own" guy.
Could definitely be the case but we will never really know since RG runs a very quiet AD.

we have a good class lined up so far. we're winning games and in position to have a turnaround year here. sure, mm could leave or he could get fired or he could get an extension and that is true of his staff of course too. but, whatever happens will be based upon a whole bunch of stuff that hasn't occurred yet. there is nothing to talk about on that front until there is something to talk about. my only comment on the subject would be that an in-season extension is usually inadvisable.

MikMac is not likely to have a cannot turn down job offer this off-season. Sure, it is an outside possibility, but not one with a high probability. My guess is he stays on here, absent some sort of monumental collapse. I had called for a 4-5 win season. With the win at Oregon, CU has a chance to do better, maybe substantially better and get to 6 or 7 W's. If that happens, I will be a MikMac believer. If he tops out at 5, well, I won't be surprised. I do believe the team has gotten better every year and they look like they have turned the corner...

It will be interesting but I think MM see this as a way to build a huge legacy. I think he is not going to leave his son and I think the success will keep him here. I think he and RD are aligned and the money will come his way to keep him here. Let's see where this season ends but good so far for all involved.

MikMac is not likely to have a cannot turn down job offer this off-season. Sure, it is an outside possibility, but not one with a high probability. My guess is he stays on here, absent some sort of monumental collapse. I had called for a 4-5 win season. With the win at Oregon, CU has a chance to do better, maybe substantially better and get to 6 or 7 W's. If that happens, I will be a MikMac believer. If he tops out at 5, well, I won't be surprised. I do believe the team has gotten better every year and they look like they have turned the corner...
The ceiling for this team is not 7 wins. I would have said so in August, but certainly not now. Let's call Oregon State and Washington State at home probable wins and at Stanford a probable loss. That's 5-2. The other five games seem like tossups that could easily go either way. With a little luck we go 3-2 or 4-1 in those and we finish 8-4 or 9-3. We're due for some luck. Way overdue, in fact.

But how many of them have eligibility to continue playing? And, more importantly, how many of those Juniors are red-shirt Sophomores?

I'm actually not being pedantic or snarky, roster management is messy, but a lot of "how much older/younger is the team now and is it going to get next year" is masked with the stat "X number of juniors and seniors." A lot of the time (and is true in this case), red-shirt sophomores are included in that stat line - even though many of them will still be playing in 3 years (three years on campus (juniors), but one year redshirting (RS Soph).

If you're evaluating the current team in terms of age and experience, the number of juniors and seniors is a good line to use.

If you're evaluating how much of a drop off in age and experience the team is going to experience in the following two seasons, it's better to use something like "how many players will run out eligibility in the next two seasons?"

Now, for these numbers I'm only using scholarship players who were on the roster at the start of fall camp (it was the roster I could find in the easiest format to sort and count).

This year, we have 53 Juniors and Seniors (older and experienced, yay!)
We will have 41 players running out of eligibility at the end of 2017.
In 2017, we will have 50 Juniors and Seniors (again, older and experienced, yay!)
In 2017, we will have 39 players running out of eligibility at the end of 2018.
In 2018, we will have 42 Juniors and Seniors (younger, but still half the roster is "upperclassmen")
In 2018, we will have 35 players running out of eligibility at the end of 2019.

This is what proper class balance looks like in a P5 program, and it is truly a huge (and unheralded) success of HCMM to get us to this point in only 4 seasons. Unless we get a glut of guys leaving early for the NFL draft (a good problem to have) or a glut of injuries in one class (bad problem to have), at least half the roster should always be made up of guys who are in at least their 3rd year of college, i.e. "juniors" and older.

Back