What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The makeup game

Liver

modded mod
Club Member
Junta Member
I know it is still unlikely but I will be very worried if we find ourselves at 5-6 and playing Fresno in early december for bowl eligibility.

I know it is still unlikely but I will be very worried if we find ourselves at 5-6 and playing Fresno in early december for bowl eligibility.

I would only worry if the game is played after the Bowl Selection Sunday sitting at 5 wins...

Worried? I would be pretty happy if we get to 5 wins :lol:

Also, if that game is happening on Dec 7, then it means that FSU didn't make it to their championship game, and could be feeling very letdown

Why worry? It would suck, but there's not a damn thing we could do. Let's get to 5 wins first. I was only expecting 3-4 wins this year, so 5 would be pretty damn good when we aren't that far removed from last year.

When will we hear an announcement, I wonder? I'd bet this week.

They've got to move quickly if we're aiming for Oct.19th. Football requires some serious logistics that we don't often think of (just as an example, the equipment trucks. they did a feature on Oregon's equipment truck with their trip east two weeks ago -- 44 hours each way)

They've got to move quickly if we're aiming for Oct.19th. Football requires some serious logistics that we don't often think of (just as an example, the equipment trucks. they did a feature on Oregon's equipment truck with their trip east two weeks ago -- 44 hours each way)
Yeah, that is my reasoning as to why I'd bet this week. Also, from the sound of the MWC commissioner, it sounded like getting this game in is a priority to the conference (cha ching). There will be pressure to bear on a school like UNLV to help make this happen, I'd think.

I don't think this game is being replayed this year. Honestly, the ticket cost from my season tickets doesn't really bother me given the circumstances. Reschedule for 2015 when we can smack them around.

Yeah, that is my reasoning as to why I'd bet this week. Also, from the sound of the MWC commissioner, it sounded like getting this game in is a priority to the conference (cha ching). There will be pressure to bear on a school like UNLV to help make this happen, I'd think.

MWC needs every game against BCS conference schools they can get, especially ones that they think they have a good chance of winning to argue for their credibility. This is even more important this year considering the bad start they got off to so far against the major conference opponents.

Also considering the low confence media payouts Fresno isn't exactly rolling in money. I have no idea what the payout is for this game but I doubt they want to delay it for a year or two and also lose the revenue since they would have to give up another game on the schedule to fit it in.

I thought it was strange that the MWC commissioner openly acknowledged that the UNLV coaching staff "is already on the hot seat" and that they may not want to mess with their schedule. Pretty sure that a BCS commish would never say that.

I thought it was strange that the MWC commissioner openly acknowledged that the UNLV coaching staff "is already on the hot seat" and that they may not want to mess with their schedule. Pretty sure that a BCS commish would never say that.

Craig Thompson is an idiot. All this would take would be UNLV getting a bigger slice of Fresno's bowl money if they make a BCS game. This whole thing is pretty simple.....If the MWC wants Fresno to make them $13 million (or whatever the payout is), they'll pressure UNLV into playing Fresno a month later. Fresno's schedule was bad with us on it----with only Rutgers from the AAC? Keep them out.

At least they are looking at multiple options. I really like the San Diego state idea.

Play UNC for all I care. Make it 12 games. Maybe Central Arkansas can get us the hook-up with Incarnate Word

Doesn't playing a second FCS game screw us for bowl eligibility if we make it to six wins?

First off, talking about bowl eligibility is still pretty far-fetched. Second, I am pretty sure they did away with that rule but I could be wrong.

First off, talking about bowl eligibility is still pretty far-fetched. Second, I am pretty sure they did away with that rule but I could be wrong.

No it's not. We have four winnable games (SC, Cal, Utah, Oregon State) on our schedule, two are at home. All of those teams have looked very beatable at this point in the season. Scheduling a team like SDSU could very well be the difference between going 5-7 or 6-6 for this team.

MWC needs every game against BCS conference schools they can get, especially ones that they think they have a good chance of winning to argue for their credibility. This is even more important this year considering the bad start they got off to so far against the major conference opponents.

Also considering the low confence media payouts Fresno isn't exactly rolling in money. I have no idea what the payout is for this game but I doubt they want to delay it for a year or two and also lose the revenue since they would have to give up another game on the schedule to fit it in.

Excellent points! I think you are nailed it!

They are going to try and play this game. Other than the cause of this delay which has been hard on many affected by the flooding, CU will have a better chance of winning this game down the road barring significant injury. Gives us time to jell and grow additional confidence before facing a tough situation from last year.

The NCAA allows one victory per season over a Division I FCS team to count toward an FBS team's bowl eligibility, so long as the FCS team has supplied financial aid for football averaging out to at least 56.7 full scholarships (90% of the limit of 63 allowed to FCS schools) over "a rolling two-year period" that can include the current season. And can only count one win towards bowl eligibility per season. There is also a clause stating you can apply for waiver which I am guessing if we get to 5-6 we might be granted if we cannot pick up another game. Even as ****ty as the NCAA I think holding a team out due to a national disaster is press even the NCAA would be terrified of.

At least they are looking at multiple options. I really like the San Diego state idea.

I am not sure what the SDSU idea is other than they might have a bye on 10/19 but don't they already have 12 games scheduled? Are they allowed a 13th? Do they travel to Hawaii or something?

If it's possible, I think this would be a great option as well.

EDIT: But San Jose St also has a bye on 10/19 and they also travel to Hawaii. SJSU might be an even better option because of HCMM just coming from there. that would be fun!

Last edited:
I am not sure what the SDSU idea is other than they might have a bye on 10/19 but don't they already have 12 games scheduled? Are they allowed a 13th? Do they travel to Hawaii or something?

If it's possible, I think this would be a great option as well.

EDIT: But San Jose St also has a bye on the 10/19 and they also travel to Hawaii. SJSU might be an even better option because of HCMM just coming from there. that would be fun!

MacIntyre strikes me as someone who doesn't want to play his former team outside of a bowl game, much like Tad Boyle and UNC.

The NCAA allows one victory per season over a Division I FCS team to count toward an FBS team's bowl eligibility, so long as the FCS team has supplied financial aid for football averaging out to at least 56.7 full scholarships (90% of the limit of 63 allowed to FCS schools) over "a rolling two-year period" that can include the current season. And can only count one win towards bowl eligibility per season. There is also a clause stating you can apply for waiver which I am guessing if we get to 5-6 we might be granted if we cannot pick up another game. Even as ****ty as the NCAA I think holding a team out due to a national disaster is press even the NCAA would be terrified of.

That you for the clarification. I knew they changed it recently but couldn't remember the details.

No it's not. We have four winnable games (SC, Cal, Utah, Oregon State) on our schedule, two are at home. All of those teams have looked very beatable at this point in the season. Scheduling a team like SDSU could very well be the difference between going 5-7 or 6-6 for this team.

I admire your optimism bit I don't share it. There are winnable games but I don't expect us to go 4-0 or even 3-1 in those games.

I'd be happy to be wrong and I'm really glad that we're a couple of games into the season and our bowl hopes haven't been completely crushed already. That's progress.

Back