What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Mayor's Journey To Election Day

Maybe for CU, but not the NBA. I imagine he would be a below average athlete for a Guard at the NBA level

I don't think CU fans realize just how athletic Spencer is. Guy has hops he's never really shown before in game. Great lateral quickness to.

Spencer is athletic enough to be a significant guard in the NBA. He has a deceptively quick first step. He will be fine at the next level when he gets there because he does not rely solely on his athleticism. He is a smart player who understands the game. He understands what it means to be a real floor general, because he has done it here many, many times. His game at CU has been tempered to meet the needs of his teammates in order to win games. He has taken a back seat more often than fans realize for the good of the team. His level of athleticism will not be a problem at the next level.

I don't think CU fans realize just how athletic Spencer is. Guy has hops he's never really shown before in game. Great lateral quickness to.

Spencer is athletic enough to be a significant guard in the NBA. He has a deceptively quick first step. He will be fine at the next level when he gets there because he does not rely solely on his athleticism. He is a smart player who understands the game. He understands what it means to be a real floor general, because he has done it here many, many times. His game at CU has been tempered to meet the needs of his teammates in order to win games. He has taken a back seat more often than fans realize for the good of the team. His level of athleticism will not be a problem at the next level.

:nod: Yup.

6'6" guard who can play defense, get to the rim and draw the foul, and can hit the 3-ball. Assuming he can stay healthy he'll do well.

He has never struck me as being that athletic. Certainly not NBA-athletic. But I haven't seen him play ball in ages, so that could be clouding my memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencer is smooth....kind of like Chauncey smooth....never will kill you with athletic ability but a) will get the job done almost every time and b) has great basketball skill and knowledge that puts him in the right place so that he doesn't have to make up mistakes with athletic ability

where do you come up with this stuff?

Do you think he can cover Russell Westbrook or Kyrie Irving from Cleveland or Parker from San Antonio? Steph Curry? Chris Paul? Not even close.

Spencer is a nice point guard but he's not an elite point guard. I don't think he would be a starting point guard - because he isn't a good enough slasher, he isn't a good enough distributor, and he isn't a good enough scorer.

Do I think he will get drafted? Probably. Maybe even the 1st round. But I wouldn't expect him to play very much. His best chance to play in the NBA is to greatly improve his shooting - which he has shown he can do in his time at CU.

Spencer doesn't have elite quickness for an NBA point guard. He makes up for it with excellent body control and the mental stuff.

Do you think he can cover Russell Westbrook or Kyrie Irving from Cleveland or Parker from San Antonio? Steph Curry? Chris Paul? Not even close.

Spencer is a nice point guard but he's not an elite point guard. I don't think he would be a starting point guard - because he isn't a good enough slasher, he isn't a good enough distributor, and he isn't a good enough scorer.

Do I think he will get drafted? Probably. Maybe even the 1st round. But I wouldn't expect him to play very much. His best chance to play in the NBA is to greatly improve his shooting - which he has shown he can do in his time at CU.

I took that as not athletic enough to play in the nba, it's early here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Somehow, Spencer has been able to guard everyone he's been matched up against in college, AAU and international competition. Maybe he's a better athlete than some of you realize.

Spencer is smooth....kind of like Chauncey smooth....never will kill you with athletic ability but a) will get the job done almost every time and b) has great basketball skill and knowledge that puts him in the right place so that he doesn't have to make up mistakes with athletic ability
He reminds me a bit of Alex English

I like the comment but the difference between "Smooth" and "The Mayor" is that Smooth could get to any spot on the court that he wanted and score/create. The Mayor is great at directing the offense, seeing over the defense, operating the pick and roll, and taking what the defense gives him.

I love Spencer and think he should be a 1st round pick. Though, if there's one aspect to his game that the scouts will or have looked at is Spencer's ability to create his own offense, which as a pro he'll have to do with the 24 second shot clock. This is the only knock I can see coming his way. It won't be athleticism, but the ability to score when the shot clock winds down. In all other categories Spencer is a first round pick in my opinion.

Saved for future reference

I like the comment but the difference between "Smooth" and "The Mayor" is that Smooth could get to any spot on the court that he wanted and score/create. The Mayor is great at directing the offense, seeing over the defense, operating the pick and roll, and taking what the defense gives him.

I love Spencer and think he should be a 1st round pick. Though, if there's one aspect to his game that the scouts will or have looked at is Spencer's ability to create his own offense, which as a pro he'll have to do with the 24 second shot clock. This is the only knock I can see coming his way. It won't be athleticism, but the ability to score when the shot clock winds down. In all other categories Spencer is a first round pick in my opinion.

I have heard that scouts want Spencer to work on developing a quicker release on his shooting stroke. That's the main "area for improvement" knock I'm hearing. That seems to be a critique from a GM who is thinking of him as a SG, though. As a PG, he'd likely get more space to shoot.

He reminds me a bit of Alex English

I was thinking more of a Brian Shaw type guard...needs to add muscle but same kind of game....it is why I am secretly hoping the Nuggets will really like him and draft him....the Nugs have way too many midgets at guard for my liking

Somehow, Spencer has been able to guard everyone he's been matched up against in college, AAU and international competition. Maybe he's a better athlete than some of you realize.
hell, he shut down the player of the year in the pac 12 this year. Is there anyone who has really dominated spencer when he was guarding them?

hell, he shut down the player of the year in the pac 12 this year. Is there anyone who has really dominated spencer when he was guarding them?

he didn't play Nick Johnson this year. Last year, when Johnson was not nearly as good as he was this year, he held Johnson to the tune of 9 points (60% shooting), 4 boards, 4 assists, 4 turnovers (Spencer had 0 steals that game) @ Colorado. @ Arizona Johnson dropped 18 points (86%), 1 rebound, 1 assist, 2 turnovers (Spencer had 2 steals that game).

Johnson's average was 11.5 points (45%), 3.6 boards, 3.2 assists, 1.9 turnovers

he didn't play Nick Johnson this year. Last year, when Johnson was not nearly as good as he was this year, he held Johnson to the tune of 9 points (60% shooting), 4 boards, 4 assists, 4 turnovers (Spencer had 0 steals that game) @ Colorado. @ Arizona Johnson dropped 18 points (86%), 1 rebound, 1 assist, 2 turnovers (Spencer had 2 steals that game).

Johnson's average was 11.5 points (45%), 3.6 boards, 3.2 assists, 1.9 turnovers
Good to know, tante.

What a dumb conversation. No Spencer is not Blake Griffin. He's not a crazy blow your mind athlete. Assuming he comes back fully healthy, he is more than adequate athlete to play at the next level.

The sad part is that that anonymous GM quote is basically saying that the ACL tear didn't hurt him much since he was never that athletic and was never a first round pick.

Eff that GM. By the tone of that quote, that GM would never take Spencer anyway. I don't know how many "multiple" sources are. However, I'd love for Spencer to come back and have a great year at CU and be a first round pick in next year's draft, proving idiots wrong. However, I'd also be excited for Spencer if he's drafted in the first round this year and achieves his dream.

I just hope he gets good info and does what's best for him. Coming back would be awesome though.

That's clearly not in the quote, but something you inferred. I interpreted it as at least some of the NBA GMs were valuing his other skills more so than his athleticism pre-ACL. He's not Russell Westbrook but he isn't Sam Cassell either. Just as an example--not direct comp to Spencer--If Kyle Anderson tore his ACL, I'm sure you'd hear GMs having similar sentiments about valuing his other skills above his athleticism. Your interpretation could be true, but I think it's more likely that it's a vote of confidence on Spencer's draft grade.

Spencer's definitely athletic enough to play at the NBA level. Doubt that will be much of an issue. It's really more that he won't be able to work out for teams most likely, and there will be some uncertainty about what kind of player he will be when he is 100% healthy again.

I do think he is a bit too passive for a point guard, but he brings a lot to the table talent wise. Smart, Exum, Ennis are the cream of the crop of the position for this year's class, but after that, it's not that big of a stretch to think the Mayor could be the 4th PG off the board. There is a lot of talent at the position this year. Really hard to place where a lot of the class after the Top 3 land.

Again today I looked a 10 prominent mock drafts, 2 weeks ago Dinwiddie was not mentioned in any of them through both rounds of the draft. Today he is listed in 2 and its not good. The first has him going #54 to the Nuggets, the second has him going #59 to the Raptors.
These mocks are not exact science, but I have been a "Draftnik" since the early 80's. I follow the NFL draft closely, and I pay year round attention to NBA projections. One thing I have learned paying attention to this is especially through 2 rounds like the NBA draft is these "experts" are fairly good, 10 to 15 picks either direction good, and in most cases 10 or less. Dinwiddie is not going to be selected in the first round if he leaves, write it down it will not happen. I am a homer like most of us are, but this is the reality of the situation

Again today I looked a 10 prominent mock drafts, 2 weeks ago Dinwiddie was not mentioned in any of them through both rounds of the draft. Today he is listed in 2 and its not good. The first has him going #54 to the Nuggets, the second has him going #59 to the Raptors.
These mocks are not exact science, but I have been a "Draftnik" since the early 80's. I follow the NFL draft closely, and I pay year round attention to NBA projections. One thing I have learned paying attention to this is especially through 2 rounds like the NBA draft is these "experts" are fairly good, 10 to 15 picks either direction good, and in most cases 10 or less. Dinwiddie is not going to be selected in the first round if he leaves, write it down it will not happen. I am a homer like most of us are, but this is the reality of the situation

He might get drafted late in the 1st round. If there is a team that doesn't have any serious pressing needs, and sees the need for a future point guard / shooting guard, and they don't mind stashing Dinwiddie in the d-league for a year or two - I could see someone taking him late in the 1st round.

He might get drafted late in the 1st round. If there is a team that doesn't have any serious pressing needs, and sees the need for a future point guard / shooting guard, and they don't mind stashing Dinwiddie in the d-league for a year or two - I could see someone taking him late in the 1st round.

Anything is possible, but as I said earlier NBA GM's like their job, and betting and stashing equal I am looking for a new job

Honestly, taking Dinwiddie would be a huge risk for a GM. I don't see anyway he can sneak into the 1st round with his injury.

He isn't a Nerleans Noel type talent. I could see a team taking him in the 2nd round and let him rehab for a year, but that's best case scenario IMO.

You can't compare Dre and him because they are two completely different players, two completely different drafts, and one player was fully healthy and one player is not.

Back