What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Mayor's Journey To Election Day

Shabazz Napier is a good example of someone who came back for his senior and really really increased his draft stock. He averaged 17.1 PPG 4.6 AST 4.4 REB his Junior year and increased everyone his senior year and is playing for the national championship.

And Marcus Smart is a really good example of somebody that should have left a year earlier....point?

Good arguments on both sides.

Let's simply support Spencer whichever way he chooses.

(In fact, I've heard rumors that Goose and Scotch traveled to Mordor to forge an all-powerful ban hammer for anyone who goes over the top with a negative reaction when Spencer makes his decision.)

And Marcus Smart is a really good example of somebody that should have left a year earlier....point?
I'm someone who thinks he should go. The difference is spencer is going into his senior year just like shabazz was. Smart was going into his sophomore year. You could probably bring up a stat with a sophomore slump.

I was hoping someone didn't bring him up. Do you think his head (or lack of one) hurt him more than his play?

With Nick Stauskas, Joel Embiid, and Julius Randle entering the draft (though a couple are denying having decided) today, Spencer drops three spots lower. There's still Nick Johnson (I think he's gone) and possibly Tarczewski and Michigan's McGary to decide yet. My guess is the first round is now just wishful thinking for next year.

I really do wish Spencer the best and I had hoped he'd get a first round grade and leave, but I don't think it's going to happen now.

Last edited:
Will said last week that his chances of going in the 1st round were looking grim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencer will be just fine. According to his twitter page, his updated recovery time frame, per his doctor is 28 weeks - starting January 20th. That makes him ready for workouts sometime late in August. The people who need to notice, are noticing. If he stays, he'll be fine. If he goes, he'll be fine. Maybe it's time to simply give him our support.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...raft-prospects-nobody-is-talking-about/page/6

Who is not giving him support Professor? Everyone is wishing him the best.

Any idea on when he will announce his decision...I remember him saying he didn't want to let in go on too long
It has to be soon. He said two weeks about three weeks ago. My guess is he is getting a lot of mixed messages and is waiting to see who else declares. He has until April 25th I believe

It has to be soon. He said two weeks about three weeks ago. My guess is he is getting a lot of mixed messages and is waiting to see who else declares. He has until April 25th I believe

95% speculation on my part on this, but...

Spencer wants to go. He wanted to go last year, but Tad talked him in to one more year to help both him and CU, to reach the sweet 16 and really move up the school records list (BTW, as Snow pointed out to me earlier this year, this was by far the most impressive recruiting job Tad has ever done). Now he loves CU, but he wants to move on. Unfortunately, the feedback he's getting is telling him to return for one more season. Ultimately, I think he's going to wait until the last possible moment to see if he can get someone - ANYONE - to tell him to go. If he gets that? He's gone. If not, he'll come back, bust his ass and have one hell of a season for us.

I honestly think spencer is mentally already out the door. If he comes back... I really would hate to be a Pac-12 defender. The Mayor will be on a warpath.

95% speculation on my part on this, but...

Spencer wants to go. He wanted to go last year, but Tad talked him in to one more year to help both him and CU, to reach the sweet 16 and really move up the school records list (BTW, as Snow pointed out to me earlier this year, this was by far the most impressive recruiting job Tad has ever done). Now he loves CU, but he wants to move on. Unfortunately, the feedback he's getting is telling him to return for one more season. Ultimately, I think he's going to wait until the last possible moment to see if he can get someone - ANYONE - to tell him to go. If he gets that? He's gone. If not, he'll come back, bust his ass and have one hell of a season for us.

:nod:

Exactly how Spencer should play it, too. He knows he is ready for the NBA. He'd rather not put that dream on hold if he can get a contract that values him close to where he should be.

And if he doesn't hear what he should, then he'll come back with a chip on his shoulder and prove the doubters wrong with one hell of a big senior season that might vault him into the lottery in a 2015 draft that won't be nearly as deep (especially if the NBA decides that freshmen won't be eligible to be picked).

People hate him (and honestly, I probably include myself in that group), but Calipari does it right. He brings the guys in, coaches them up and then tells them it's time to move on. Yeah, it drives us fans insane, but the kids love it. And it's hard to blame them. They're basically at an NBA Prep School. I want our guys to jump to the league when the iron is hot. The more guys we have in the NBA, the easier it is to recruit kids who want to be in the NBA. We're already seeing this.

It is not 1988 any more most people come back from the injury in pretty good shape these days - Derrick Rose being the notable exception.

Again - aside from Derrick Rose - who are the NBA point guards with ACL injuries? Rose has now missed almost 2 seasons because of his knee injuries. Russell Westbrook had a torn meniscus and missed half the season and has had 3 knee operations in the last 9 months. Even Kobe Bryant has missed most of the season with a knee injury.

People hate him (and honestly, I probably include myself in that group), but Calipari does it right. He brings the guys in, coaches them up and then tells them it's time to move on. Yeah, it drives us fans insane, but the kids love it. And it's hard to blame them. They're basically at an NBA Prep School. I want our guys to jump to the league when the iron is hot. The more guys we have in the NBA, the easier it is to recruit kids who want to be in the NBA. We're already seeing this.
I've called Cal a glorified D-League coach.

Again - aside from Derrick Rose - who are the NBA point guards with ACL injuries? Rose has now missed almost 2 seasons because of his knee injuries. Russell Westbrook had a torn meniscus and missed half the season and has had 3 knee operations in the last 9 months. Even Kobe Bryant has missed most of the season with a knee injury.

Rajon Rondo

Ricky Rubio and Rajon Rondo both come to mind. Rondo is back and while intentionally sitting out some games he is playing well on a really ****ty team. Rubio came back and had a career year improving in almost every statistical category.

That is just the pointgaurds there are a list of other players recently who've come back and had monster years - the Rose re-tear and Davis second tear of the same ACL at 34 are really the exceptions as upposed to the rule recently.

Yep. Just look at UConn. They've been right at the top with 12-14 guys playing in the NBA every year for the past decade or so. Huge boon to their recruiting.

Probably been discussed elsewhere, so please let me know where, but...

Your thoughts on how good we would've been this year with Roberson staying and Spence healthy. Elite 8?

Your thoughts on how good we would've been this year with Roberson staying and Spence healthy. Elite 8?

With those two, I could see final 4 this year, mostly because we would have been a different seed and I think we could have gotten more favorable matchups than the one we got right out of the gate. However I think our team defense actually improved without Roberson. You can't replace his individual talent, but it forced all the guys to play defense rather than just letting Andre do most of it.

Possible, anything can happen in the Tourney -- Elite 8 seems more like a ceiling though. No one saw UConn winning it all, so a result that is possible. Likewise, UConn almost got eliminated in the first round so that could've happened as well. What I like about the "what if" game is it's only looking at through our vantage point -- everything stays the same except we get an advantage. If Roberson comes back, can we quantify it with other underclassmen coming back from other teams?

With those two, I could see final 4 this year, mostly because we would have been a different seed and I think we could have gotten more favorable matchups than the one we got right out of the gate. However I think our team defense actually improved without Roberson. You can't replace his individual talent, but it forced all the guys to play defense rather than just letting Andre do most of it.
Eric Goodman was saying that some in the CU program were telling him they were a *better* team minus Dre. This was before Spencer went down though. The reasoning was Dre was a liability on the offensive end.

Back