1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The memories....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BlackNGold, Oct 20, 2010.

1. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

This is a video of the Buffzone show right before Hawkins first season.

[video=youtube;ghYheDkha0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ghYheDkha0o#![/video]

Here a few of the take aways - "Football pays the bills at CU and Dan Hawkins needs to start winning right away." -NW

"There is going to be a lot of Hawk Love around the town before he is done coaching at CU." NW

"So far he is recruiting at the same level as Gary Barnett." KR.

Other great stuff.

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I wish somebody would dig up the interview from 8/30/06 where Hawk says "I'm not interested in rebuilding I want win, I want to go now". Or better yet his "...either you are trying to win a National Championship or you are not".

3. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Nothing too surprising, I would say 99% of all Buff fans would agree with what they said at the time, then came MSU.....

4. Wise Old Man

Wise Old Man Member

5. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Michigan State? At least I am sure Talkins thinks those two programs are on par.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It's interesting that Ringo brought up the question of Hawkins being able to recruit the big time athletes.

I just looked back at Boise State recruiting in the Rivals database for the Hawkins years.

2002: 24 commitments (all 2* rated)
    2003: 19 commitments (seventeen 2*; two 3*)
    2004: 27 commitments (twenty-five 2*; two 3*)
    2005: 16 commitments (ten 2*; five 3*; one 4*)
    2006: 18 commitments (fifteen 2*; three 3*)

Given the records he had with that level of talent in the WAC and the fact that he had never worked at a BCS program, it's easy to see why he has been completely unable to relate to 4* and 5* guys, why he doesn't value them much, and why he has thought that our 3* dominated classes have been so exceptional. He has really been out of his league at CU and this is the main reason.

P.S. This is what is turning me off with Calhoun. He has been at Air Force, Wake Forest and Ohio. He hasn't recruited 4* and 5* talent. He saw it while in the NFL, but he has never recruited it. Guys like Eric Bieniemy have.

7. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

He was referring to the Montana State disaster.

8. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I know. My point was more I seem to remember Talkins after that game saying every football team is good. Hence the comparison to Michigan State. I guess it was a bad joke. Sorry.