What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The MTN?!? really?!

Clever marketing-the MTN is indeed available countrywide as shown in this graphic:

53620.jpg

Now I just have to get my apartment building to let me tack a DTV satellite dish outside my window. So much easier than having a cable channel or streaming the game online. :thumbsup:

I hear them raising hell in Hawaii and Alaska.....

But when you say 3rd tier can be local, are you referring to one of the Denver stations? Because we've talked about this very thing in recent years on here and I'm almost positive that the Denver stations can't pick up CU games even if no other national or regional network picks it up. Now in the pre-Big 12 days, CU games that weren't on ABC or ESPN got picked up by channel 4 all the time.

If that's the case, that's crap. For instance, if the Hawaii game was given a pass by ABC/ESPN and Fox Sports then I thought that CU had rights to do what it wanted with it. Kind of like how Nebraska took the Sun Belt games no networks wanted and sold them on in-state cable as PPV.

If that's the case, that's crap. For instance, if the Hawaii game was given a pass by ABC/ESPN and Fox Sports then I thought that CU had rights to do what it wanted with it. Kind of like how Nebraska took the Sun Belt games no networks wanted and sold them on in-state cable as PPV.

I think you're right about the PPV or BuffsTV part, but the local stations can't pick up the games. Now why teams would be allowed to put a game on PPV but not offer it to a local station is odd. It must have something to do with how the TV contract with the Big 12 is written.

This whole thing pisses me off and it is very short sighted/money driven. I grew up super poor. All of the teams I follow now were because I could watch them on the local stations. Had the Buffs and the nuggets games only been broadcast on cable then I don't believe I would have ever been a fan. Now all the local sports except the Broncos are broadcast on cable. I know that more families have cable now then when I was growing up but I still believe it is important to have local teams on local channels.

I think that Pat Bowlen understands this really well. He broadcasts all Bronco games on the local channels including when ESPN or NFL network has the rights to them. I'm not sure how he does it but it is an awesome move by him.

In the short term the money is great for the team to sell the exclusive rights to one channel or network but how many fans are they missing out on that are not able to afford the cable bill?

It is a complete joke, but that is the Mtn. Weenie for you. It just emphasizes another reason why this game gets very little for CU. I'm already planning my trip to the sports bar as I don't get the Mutton on Dish....

No trip to Pat's House of Extortion?

No trip to Pat's House of Extortion?
:lol: Well, the kiddos hae stuff to do that morning, and even if I hot footed down to the Big Diaphragm, I wouldn't get there until about 1 p.m. I have Dish, and don't get the Mutton, so it is looking like the local sportsbar....

I believe one of the announcers for MTN tv games is Todd Christensen the ex-Raider and Bronco hater.

MTN on 616 with Direct TV..

Just another reason to dump this series. Bohn at least understands money for the program. Maybe he will wake up one day. Cut little brother loose and pick up NU at Invesco (or home and home).

Back