1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The MWC is...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by leftybuff, Jun 16, 2010.

1. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

sitting on the canvas with it's nose bleeding. One of it's big three hit the road. Effect on BCS AQ? Discuss. Your answers will be graded.:smile2:

2. 13Buff

13Buff Club Member Club Member

Addition of BSU leaves them in the same place they were before, except they add a new TV market.

Same over all.

3. CsquaredCC

CsquaredCC Well-Known Member

It's right where it was before all this expansion talk began. A three headed conference with Boise State filling the void and the MWC collecting all their BCS points for potential inclusion. Honestly, at the end of the day I am just glad it was Utah and not BYU or TCU. The irony of it is - for all the talk on this board about attendance figures. A Pac-10 affiliated Utah won't even boast the highest attendance for college footaball games in its own state.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. B1Buff

B1Buff Active Member

They are virtually in the same place they were before with the addition of BSU...although they would have been in a lot better position with the UU and BSU...but the MWC still sucks so it is neither here nor there.

5. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

a little unlucky as a group since the success of Utah, TCU, and BYU over the last 4-5 years is the direct cause of the very real possibility of losing Utah (2 BCS wins in the last 5 years) and possibly TCU into the new/old SWC some time down the road to the point where not sure how sustainable at a BCS type bid level they can be losing 2 of those 3 even with the addition of Boise.

not a huge fan of any of the teams in the MWC, but i follow it casually since it's local. i did like that they reversed in part their move to the original 16 team conference when the WAC expanded to renew and protect some of the original WAC rivalries on the Front Range from the nonsensical scheduling of a 16 team conference (see the current Big East in hoops).

6. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

the MWC could have stopped this and tried to secure a AQ by going aggressively after the Big XII "leftovers".

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I believe that if Boise joins in 2011, they're in the MWC in time for the last 4 Boise seasons to be used in the BCS calculation. It will look just as good as Utah's profile, if not better. Not sure this hurts the MWC too much from that standpoint. But I'm certainly not an expert on this, just regurgitating something I think I read and may be completely wrong.

8. CsquaredCC

You are correct. Boise State's addition essentially makes up for the loss of Utah as the last 4 years of Boise's results get credited to the MWC.

9. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Well, if the MWC already was on the brink of AQ status anyways, I assume the swap of UU for BSU keeps them even and still tracking for a BCS bid in the near future. It only takes one more defection, and they are toast.

So if I'm the Big XII, why not steal BYU and TCU now and effectively squash a chance for the MWC to get a BCS bid every year. Makes sense to me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  10. CsquaredCC

Didn't CU's biggest "rival" just become a former MWC team? A program that will average nearly 20,000 less per game than its in-state foe, BYU? Not sure I would be trashing the MWC if I were Buff fans today.

11. leftybuff

True. IMO, the MWC will still fall short of BCS AQ. BSU is a replacement for Utah, and maybe a slightly better one at that, but still no cigar IMO. If UU stayed and the MWC added BSU, they'd be closer but still a ? as far as BCS goes.

12. CsquaredCC

I am pretty sure if all four had remained - inclusion would have been a near certainty. That was according to Craig Thompson - MWC commissioner - so take that for what it is worth I guess.

13. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Simple CC. Utah is a flagship state school. Actually has BCS appearances and wins. BYU...not so much. Over time Utah is going to overcome BYU simply because of the elevated stature of conference affiliation.

14. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

BYU averages 65,000+ per home game!?!?

Amazing!

15. Buffnik

Is there still a chance that the MWC adds Fresno State to get to 10 teams? Fresno-Visalia is a solid media market for the conference network and I would assume that they would help the conference profile a bit. Plus, a 9-game conference schedule looks like where everyone's going.

16. leftybuff

Firstly, I am not sure UU is necessarily a rival. Other than having graduated out of the minor league to big boy FB, they are just another Pac-12 member now. Frankly, I respect UU as a FB and BB school. They have done well, now we will see how well they do playing week in, week out versus BCS caliber competition. I expect the days of undefeated seasons, or even 10 win seasons are now history for UU. Bottom line is the cream of the MWC crop barely makes it into a BCS league. What does that say about everybody left behind?

Given the pitiful performance of CU lately, I would not be the least bit surprised if UU beats up on the Buffs, at least until CU gets a coach. I'll give credit where it is due, the MWC does have three respectable FB teams, BSU, BYU and TCU. But no way do any of those teams win a BCS conference. They might do well, but there is a reason the MWC is still considered mid-major, they just aren't on the same level.

17. CsquaredCC

When Utah hoists it's first national title banner, boasts a heisman trophy winner, and begins to overtake BYU in attendance - maybe then Utah can claim to be the "flagship." Until then I am sure there will be a raging debate in Utah.

18. CsquaredCC

Top 25 annually in attendance - nearly 65,000 per game.

19. leftybuff

Really, what else is he going to say? We bring in BSU and the MWC still has work to do? He's been pimping the MWC for years, it's his job. Nobody else, well, Orrin Hatch maybe, is seriously looking at the MWC as a BCS AQ.

20. CsquaredCC

I think Fresno State, Houston or SMU are considered for further expansion.

21. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

It's too bad for Boise and the MWC that they can't start play this year. They are ranked in the top 5, I believe, to start the season. An undefeated season in the MWC after starting at 4 or 5 would have a much better shot at making BCS title game than an undefeated WAC season. Still don't think it would get you in over an undefeated BCS conference school, but it would likely prevent any 1-loss BCS teams from getting in. I'm not sure that would be the case coming out of the WAC.

22. Buffnik

Conference should talk all 3. Or take Fresno, Houston and Tulsa. Stage your conference championship game in Vegas every year.

23. Bone Buff

I was really pulling for the MWC to get aggressive in this expansion talk. They had a golden opprotunity to go to Kansas, K State, Mizzou, etc, and say, "yo, you don't have to be Texas' bitch, help us out, and we'll make another path to the BCS".

It was probably a longshot, but I can't believe they didn't even TRY.

24. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

The MWC takes a hit for sure on this. BSU for Utah may be an even football swap, but this once again shows that the MWC is a stepping stone conference, and not that close to AQ status. (and I'll also guess that Utah other sports >>>>>> BSU other sports).

25. Buffnik

Let's just say that Boise won't be making a Final Four any time soon. :wink2:

26. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

But what about their gymnastics program???

27. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

But what did they have to offer? The MWC's television contract paid each team roughly $1.2 mil. That kind of money isn't going to entice anyone from the Big 12. Not even Iowa State. They would rather be Texas's bitch to the tune of $7 mil.

28. Bone Buff

I dunno. Sounds like Beeble threw up obscene numbers based on consultants, don't know why craig thompson could have come up with something....

29. leftybuff

$1.2 mill? That's it? No wonder there was no Ku, KjSU, ISU, Baylor, Mizzou to the MWC talk.

30. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

They did release media reports that they were interested in several teams, pretty much all of the B12 leftovers except Baylor. They were definitely proactive, as much as was practical. the reality is that no one was going to accept an invitation from them until other options were exhausted.

I think what the MWC has done is impressive. They basically were just a collection of teams in the WAC that recognized they were better than their peers and struck out on their own. They had the ability to attract a great non-BCS program in TCU, and then to pick up the most competitive non-BCS team not already in their conference in BSU. They are a victim of their own success in Utah getting snapped up, they certainly can't be found at fault for that loss.

I think if they were to add another team, SMU is the best option. For those who followed the old SWC, the TCU-SMU rivalry was a storied one. SMU has the financial depth in wealthy boosters to attract and keep June Jones, which should insure they continue to build a successful program. Houston, imo, is a johnny-come-lately, who's coach has a history of not hesitating to move on to greener pastures, as noted by his 15 minutes in Boulder (literally, I think he was in town for 15 minutes). They will be also-rans as soon as he departs.