What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The myth of free throw shooting

This was in the UW game notes, kind of interesting

With two minutes to play in the game (overtime excluded), Spencer Dinwiddie is shooting 84.8 career percentage from the free throw line (89-of-105).

:bump:

Kentucky went 13/24 from the line missing 11 FT's, 1 more than UConn shot all game who went 10/10. UConn wins by six, and had their lead whittled down to a point twice in the 2nd half.

Calipari stated after the game they didn't foul at the end because UConn wasn't missing from the line. It would have done them no good.

They Matter

Kentucky started kicking the ball around too. Missing fts and turning over the basketball is gonna get you beat in games like that about 100% of the time. I didn't like Randle being out by the 3 point line that much either, let that monster work around the basket, get fouled or finish, or both.

Like anything, there are anomalies. I don't think anyone would argue free throw shooting is irrelevant. Can't imagine there is a fan in existence that would rather his team miss free throws then make them. It's just that most of the really good teams aren't necessarily good free throw shooting teams

Remember when NC State beat "Phi Slamma Jamma" - that was all because Houston could not hit their FTs. Jimmy V had his team fouling the much more talented team that was a poor FT shooting team and kept Houston from making a run. FTs matter especially in the Tournament.

Like anything, there are anomalies. I don't think anyone would argue free throw shooting is irrelevant. Can't imagine there is a fan in existence that would rather his team miss free throws then make them. It's just that most of the really good teams aren't necessarily good free throw shooting teams

Yep. The exception doesn't disprove the rule. On a macro level, shooting a lot of free throws is a driver for wins while FT% is not. Within an individual game, there will be exceptions.

Remember when NC State beat "Phi Slamma Jamma" - that was all because Houston could not hit their FTs. Jimmy V had his team fouling the much more talented team that was a poor FT shooting team and kept Houston from making a run. FTs matter especially in the Tournament.

Indiana beating Syracuse several years later, and Syracuse beating Kansas in '03 are good examples as well.

:bump:

Kentucky went 13/24 from the line missing 11 FT's, 1 more than UConn shot all game who went 10/10. UConn wins by six, and had their lead whittled down to a point twice in the 2nd half.

Calipari stated after the game they didn't foul at the end because UConn wasn't missing from the line. It would have done them no good.

They Matter

I still would have fouled though....make them hit them anyway....it didn't help Kentucky that they missed a lot of easy shots....but I foul and try to extend the game...Kentucky let a lot of valuable time slip away.

Yep they definitely should have fouled, Cali stepped on his dick there.

Last edited:
Back