What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The "Next Step" For Recruiting

Perhaps. What you your point?
Just that FLounder's point that because UK flamed out pretty spectacularly last year doesn't mean getting 5* talent is overrated. Kind of like the Darrel Scott flame out so 5*'s aren't worth the risk type recruiting extreme.

Just that FLounder's point that because UK flamed out pretty spectacularly last year doesn't mean getting 5* talent is overrated. Kind of like the Darrel Scott flame out so 5*'s aren't worth the risk type recruiting extreme.

No, my point is that a lot of the time trying to recruit one and done players doesn't work out how you plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree that most programs and coaches are ill-equipped to deal with players who plan on doing the minimum to stay eligible in the fall and then blow off spring classes on their path to the NBA.

I really wish the NBA would do away with the "1 year removed from high school" requirement for draft eligibility. Some of the best NBA players from Moses Malone to Kevin Garnett to Kobe Bryant to LeBron James didn't go to college. Lots of others. And there are at least as many cases of a guy being forced to college was bad for him (see Shawn Kemp) as there cases of declaring early screwing up someone's life. Better to flame out with several million bucks in your pocket.

Just need to do it while keeping agents out of the high schools and AAU circuit. Somehow.

I want more...more I say.

**** it, I'll wade in.

You're not 100% wrong. CU does need to up its recruiting a little if we're going to take the next step. The simple fact is that Tad needs to land a 5* or two over the next 2-3 years. It's the natural progression. I'm not bashing Tad's recruiting because, like you said, he's killing it. But the Buffs got a little lucky - we came in to the Pac when they were down. Teams like the last two years CU squads were good, but in "normal" Pac years (like we're anticipating seeing this year), they wouldn't be good enough to even sniff the P12 title. We've made a good first step, but it's time to take the next leap. We need to land some guys like Boatwright, Hemsley, De'Ron Davis, etc. over the next two years. You know Arizona is going to be pulling in top 5 classes. UCLA should be landing top 20 classes (which Alford will find a way to waste). USC has a recruiting powerhouse of a staff and one of the best pitches in the game right now ("you get to play fun fast paced lob-filled basketball in a city with some of the most gorgeous women in the world and amazing weather"). It's going to get tougher.

The part where your post went off the rails was where you said that Utah and OSU have better classes than us this year. Chapman is a great get for Utah, and I like Kuzma, but I'd take our class over them easily and OSU is, well, underwhelming (and I'm not really sure why you singled them out).

Great response to my post and I agree with most everything you wrote. I hope that next years recruiting class is the next step in that progression of recruiting. To be honest though, I think each of the last three classes brought more talent to CU than this class will (Both in terms of depth and top end talent). The reason I put OSU slightly ahead of CU in recruiting this year is just because of depth. OSU's class isn't spectacular in any way, but each player they have a verbal from is solid. I would say CU's class is much the same, solid. OSU just had more depth due to more scholarships available(I could easily be convinced otherwise as there isn't that much difference between the two). Mind you I like Tory Miller, his game actually reminds me of Damiene Cain (Cain was slightly smaller, more skilled, better range and hopefully MUCH less motivated). Collier showed a lot through the Colorado State tourney last year, but no more so than Xavior Talton did when Xavier was at Sterling.

Not sure how anyone couldn't like Utah's class this year. We all know we would have been excited to land Chapman. Not including my thoughts on OSU's class this year, there seems to be consensus through the posts, UCLA, Arizona, USC and Utah will have a better class this year. As a Buff, I can live with being out recruited by UCLA and Arizona....but I openly admit I want to see CU take that next step and consistently out recruit everyone else in the conference and I want to see CU do better than 5th in the PAC standings at the end of the season, better than one win and out in the tourney. I want to be able to walk around San Diego and see a tourist from Kansas wearing their KU shirt and be able to tell them that this is the year that CU will beat KU when KU visits Boulder and not have them nearly trip and fall down laughing. I want a regular season PAC title, consistent good play in the PAC tourney and an NCAA sweet 16. Five years ago I would have felt those expectations were insanely unrealistic. Five years ago I would have done cartwheels for this recruiting class....but now...Well now the bar has been set and I want more. :wow:

Let's hope. I may be setting the bar high, but anything less than Boatwright & Hemsley will be disappointing.
I think we'll end up with 3 scholarships for '15, and one of them will be Boatwright. I think we'll actually do better than Hemsley though. '15 Is going to be a big year.

That said, Tad will win plenty of games even if recruiting stays at the current level. He knows what he's doing on and off the court.

I do agree that most programs and coaches are ill-equipped to deal with players who plan on doing the minimum to stay eligible in the fall and then blow off spring classes on their path to the NBA.

I really wish the NBA would do away with the "1 year removed from high school" requirement for draft eligibility. Some of the best NBA players from Moses Malone to Kevin Garnett to Kobe Bryant to LeBron James didn't go to college. Lots of others. And there are at least as many cases of a guy being forced to college was bad for him (see Shawn Kemp) as there cases of declaring early screwing up someone's life. Better to flame out with several million bucks in your pocket.

Just need to do it while keeping agents out of the high schools and AAU circuit. Somehow.

Best post of a strange thread. I think draft eligibility needs to be reviewed again to allow HS kids to go straight to the NBA. It's not like the NFL where the physicality is so dangerous to a 19 year old kid. I think there needs to be a trade off, though, in that kids who commit to go the college route need to play a minimum of two years at the NCAA level before being draft eligible.

Best post of a strange thread. I think draft eligibility needs to be reviewed again to allow HS kids to go straight to the NBA. It's not like the NFL where the physicality is so dangerous to a 19 year old kid. I think there needs to be a trade off, though, in that kids who commit to go the college route need to play a minimum of two years at the NCAA level before being draft eligible.

The commit=2 is an interesting idea. Would have to take affect once the student athlete signs an LOI, imo.

That's the facet that scares me. How in the world would the ncaa, or any entity for that matter, police the agents and all the other sharks?

To the OP, I think your “consensus" rankings may he heavily weighing class size. Chapman was highly regarded this spring but his stock took a hit this summer. I think, by the end, most of us would have taken Miller's size and physical presence over him. Miller also falls into an underrated prospect pool as a kid who reclassified. And to compare XT's senior year to what Collier has accomplished the last 3 is...silly. Dom has been among the nation's best since he was 15 and made nice strides in his game this summer. He's a true impact recruit.

Just curious, since I'm not totally knowledgeable on CU's student-athlete requirements... Is there a chance that some schools like Kansas and Kentucky have lower academic requirements for their athletes - meaning that we might not always be able to recruit the same type of high school player grade/SAT or ACT-wise?

Just curious, since I'm not totally knowledgeable on CU's student-athlete requirements... Is there a chance that some schools like Kansas and Kentucky have lower academic requirements for their athletes - meaning that we might not always be able to recruit the same type of high school player grade/SAT or ACT-wise?

Absolutely. Kentucky is an SEC school which means all you need to get in to school is an IQ hovering around the cut off line for a mental handicap.

I wouldn't get too carried away with comparing each recruiting class. College basketball isn't college football. Numbers widely vary year by year and that affects rankings. You're far better off analyzing recruiting over, say, a 3 year period than you are 1 year. It's just not really applicable to take a school that brings in 6 guys one year to a school that brings in 2 and heavily compare.

To the OP, I think your “consensus" rankings may he heavily weighing class size. Chapman was highly regarded this spring but his stock took a hit this summer. I think, by the end, most of us would have taken Miller's size and physical presence over him. Miller also falls into an underrated prospect pool as a kid who reclassified. And to compare XT's senior year to what Collier has accomplished the last 3 is...silly. Dom has been among the nation's best since he was 15 and made nice strides in his game this summer. He's a true impact recruit.

Chapman was a nice get for Utah but his stock definitely took a big dive. He needs to bulk up and get far more aggressive/physical and that's not as easy as it sounds.

I wouldn't get too carried away with comparing each recruiting class. College basketball isn't college football. Numbers widely vary year by year and that affects rankings. You're far better off analyzing recruiting over, say, a 3 year period than you are 1 year. It's just not really applicable to take a school that brings in 6 guys one year to a school that brings in 2 and heavily compare.

I totally agree. We're getting a lot of top 100 guys, which is significant.

Just remember....with the Scott/XJ class we brought in 6 guys and with this last class we brought in 4 guys...so getting 2 players the caliber of Collier/Miller is important but won't garner the kind of Class Ranking most people are looking for as compared to the last 2 years.

Chapman was a nice get for Utah but his stock definitely took a big dive. He needs to bulk up and get far more aggressive/physical and that's not as easy as it sounds.
Absolutely. Utah has a few nice pieces on that front line now, but I think there was a point this spring where Chapman was receiving a ton of attention and was over hyped. By the time he committed, most of those options had dried up. In any case, I'm glad to see Utah add some solid talent, but I think we're in agreement that it's just not at the level Boyle is recruiting at.

Agree with everyone on Chapman, I'm not high on him at all. Kuzma though, is a monster. That kid could be a pro.

Besides consistent winning, the big thing helping with recruiting is player development.In addition to the 1st round picks, every double-digit scorer from Tad's time here is playing professionally. A couple guys who weren't even 10+ ppg guys are earning a paycheck playing hoops.

He has also kept everyone eligible. Parents, other than Dre's dad, have to like what they see.
fify

Dre's dad put in a good word for us with parents of other recruits. Helped with King and is instrumental with some 2015 guys who are high on CU. That article was a moment in time specific to Dre entering the draft last spring and shouldn't in any way be taken to suggest that the Robersons don't have a great relationship with CU or Tad. People can disagree while both wanting what they think is best for someone.

I think that the next step for recruiting is getting exactly who we want from the beginning. Don't let this be confused with landing a commitment from someone we want at that time. For example, I think we have Comanche as our #1 prospect to start with the '15 class. Not only is he a Top-50 pick, he may wind up being a 5 star prospect. Our second top prospect would be Grimes, a 4 star SF. I think "taking the next step" would be landing our top prospects on the board. This means not missing out on them and taking "our new" top prospects after they fall off our board.

*side note - even if these prospects aren't our top 2, allow them to be used for the example

I think that the next step for recruiting is getting exactly who we want from the beginning. Don't let this be confused with landing a commitment from someone we want at that time. For example, I think we have Comanche as our #1 prospect to start with the '15 class. Not only is he a Top-50 pick, he may wind up being a 5 star prospect. Our second top prospect would be Grimes, a 4 star SF. I think "taking the next step" would be landing our top prospects on the board. This means not missing out on them and taking "our new" top prospects after they fall off our board.

*side note - even if these prospects aren't our top 2, allow them to be used for the example

I think Boatwright may be our top target.

Back