What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Official Gary Andersen for next Head Coach Thread

Anderson, Wilcox, Dykes, Diaco (kind of a big name, I guess) and Doeren are big enough names for me.

I'd rather take a relatively unknown mid-major or respected coordinator than a big name Petrino (rings of an Ericson type hire). Somebody who can make the most of the talent we have, and exceed expectations year-by-year until folks take notice.

And how are you so certain this guy would win and wouldn't end up like the last 2?

There is no way this program could or should go for a non big time named coach with immediate clout on the recruiting front after departing with Embree so quickly....This guy is not it by any way, shape or form.

My point is, give me a guy that is going to get the job done and don't limit yourself to 'big names'.

At some point we have to be honest with ourselves. This is not a desirable job, at least not on a par with the elite level of BCS schools. Maybe it was once, but those days are passed. Our facilities are out of date, we haven't gone bowling in years, and we just had one of the worst season in college football history. We became a national joke this year, and we don't exactly appear to have the pieces in places from an institutional standpoint to turn that around very quickly. And, I highly doubt that the admin is going to be willing to overpay to bring someone in and overcome those handicaps.

So you have to ask yourself - what big name are you going to get? You're not going to pry anyone away from a BCS job, and you're not going to lure anyone here who is going to be guaranteed to get a chance at the next big time job that opens up.

Just look at all the options and go get the guy that you believe is going to get the job done, not just grab the biggest name you can get to come here.

I don't care about the name. Minnesota hired Jerry Kill and pissed off the alumni because he wasn't a "name" coach. Minnesota was about as bad as we are now, and he now has them bowling this year. Give me the guy that can coach.

I get your point but Minnesota is not the best example. Minnesota is 6-6 and 3 of those wins were against UNLV, New Hampshire and W. Michigan, and they went 2-6 in a bad Big 10. As I said, it's not to say that these coordinators being mentioned can't coach, but you really don't know. You know that guys like Tressel and Petrino know how to win.

Gary Anderson is an outstanding coach.

As a Ute, I hope you guys don't hire him. I don't want to see what he could do with a program like CU, dude would be dangerous in this league.

Does he have time to coach with all the hunting and fishing he does? Maybe he can recruit some dickleashicans though. Those things would be nasty in the trenches.

I get your point but Minnesota is not the best example. Minnesota is 6-6 and 3 of those wins were against UNLV, New Hampshire and W. Michigan, and they went 2-6 in a bad Big 10. As I said, it's not to say that these coordinators being mentioned can't coach, but you really don't know. You know that guys like Tressel and Petrino know how to win.
All of which would beat us this year.

Considering where he started I would call that progress.

To me Gary Anderson is the Chris Peterson of Utah. While he was at Utah they were every bit as good as Boise State and knocked off Alabama in the Sugar Bowl during their undefeated season. Since he has left, Utah has been going down hill a bit. I say get Chris Peterson this time instead of the Hawkins.

The Utes I know wish they had Anderson now instead of Whittingham. Frankly, the Utes are in pretty bad shape in my opinion.

I think Anderson (ex-DC) could bring his OC with him or could lure Ludwig from SDSU (they were the coordinators for the Utes that beat Alabama).

The Utes I know wish they had Anderson now instead of Whittingham. Frankly, the Utes are in pretty bad shape in my opinion.

I think Anderson (ex-DC) could bring his OC with him or could lure Ludwig from SDSU (they were the coordinators for the Utes that beat Alabama).

Pretty sure his OC for 2012 was new because the old one left to be the OC under McElwain at CSU.

This thread actually made me register on this site.

Utah hasn't looked the same since he left. I'll leave it at that.

Long time Buff fan and poster on another site. This thread caused me enough concern that "I signed up here.

Gary could be a great coach. He is not a sure thing. His work ethic and demeanor is fantastic. He took a school in a none BCS conference and brought it to the next level of a conference performer. He did this by keeping the Kids that BYU and UTah passed on. It is noteworhty that on ocaision he is winning those battles today. He also has made some good inroads in the local poly culture. He is a great guy at the helm of a successful none BCS school. He has a demeanor that does very well in the LDS households that are key to success in Utah.

I believe he is an X&O guy. He is not Hawk. He is not a style over substance guy.

Having given him these accolades, he has not demonstrated any ability to recruit at a BCS level. This is the key reason I would not want him as a coach for the team I love. If he is hired I will be fully onboard and shake his hand and help him load his moving truck. Recruiting to compete at the BCS level is very different than taking a program that was at the level of Cherry Creek or Mullen and making it into a performer in one of the lower tier conferences. I would rather have a D coordinator from the SEC or Big 12 than Gary. Gary is a great guy and a great interview. He is too much of a risk for CU today.

Long time Buff fan and poster on another site. This thread caused me enough concern that "I signed up here.

Gary could be a great coach. He is not a sure thing. His work ethic and demeanor is fantastic. He took a school in a none BCS conference and brought it to the next level of a conference performer. He did this by keeping the Kids that BYU and UTah passed on. It is noteworhty that on ocaision he is winning those battles today. He also has made some good inroads in the local poly culture. He is a great guy at the helm of a successful none BCS school. He has a demeanor that does very well in the LDS households that are key to success in Utah.

I believe he is an X&O guy. He is not Hawk. He is not a style over substance guy.

Having given him these accolades, he has not demonstrated any ability to recruit at a BCS level. This is the key reason I would not want him as a coach for the team I love. If he is hired I will be fully onboard and shake his hand and help him load his moving truck. Recruiting to compete at the BCS level is very different than taking a program that was at the level of Cherry Creek or Mullen and making it into a performer in one of the lower tier conferences. I would rather have a D coordinator from the SEC or Big 12 than Gary. Gary is a great guy and a great interview. He is too much of a risk for CU today.

Very solid first post - thank you. Rep.

I wouldn't be disappointed with this guy. I've seen his teams play a bit, I like their game. Again tho, there are several I think that could do the job. This guy is one of them.

He's got a lot of non-LDS guys from outside of Utah on his team. He'd likely lose his DC (who would replace him at USU). Since Gary was the DC during Utah's run, not too concerning at all. His connections are his current staff and other misc guys from the Urban Meyer tree.

There's a lot of possibilities besides this guy and I hope we look deep into each and every one of them. The Hawkins fiasco could have been avoided. Rule #1 for me is that unless the guy was in charge of his own (Successful) offense or defense before, I don't want him. If he was a successful coordinator on defense lets say for Oklahoma or Alabama, he has proven nothing. No more position coaches. Hawkins was in charge of special teams at Boise State and he somehow landed Chris Peterson, who made him look good.

He's got a lot of non-LDS guys from outside of Utah on his team. He'd likely lose his DC (who would replace him at USU). Since Gary was the DC during Utah's run, not too concerning at all. His connections are his current staff and other misc guys from the Urban Meyer tree.

There's a lot of possibilities besides this guy and I hope we look deep into each and every one of them. The Hawkins fiasco could have been avoided. Rule #1 for me is that unless the guy was in charge of his own (Successful) offense or defense before, I don't want him. If he was a successful coordinator on defense lets say for Oklahoma or Alabama, he has proven nothing. No more position coaches. Hawkins was in charge of special teams at Boise State and he somehow landed Chris Peterson, who made him look good.
That is what I'm hoping for, a thorough search. Have to be right this time, there is alot on the line.

That is what I'm hoping for, a thorough search. Have to be right this time, there is alot on the line.

Totally agree. I think that a comprehensive search will be very important. While I love the idea of Gary Anderson, I also know there are a lot of solid possibilities and just want to get the best guy here.

Well, I wish we still had Gary, and Kyle.

Gary was too good to remain a coordinator.

Kyle and Gary are friends. Kyle and our new OC (Brian Johnson) are tight too... and if we can't get our offense going next year, Brian may well end up losing his new gig. :bang:

He has ties to the Urban tree. He is well liked and is a good leader.

My concern would be Anderson's staff connections? Who would he even hire?

In interest of full disclosure, I know and like Gary. I believe he could be a great coach at CU if he had one stop on his resume outside Utah before coming to CU.

My only concern is if he is the closer for a four star or five star out of Texas or Cali.

The guy at my work that is obsessed with Utah State and never shuts up about them is positive Andersen is not going anywhere for a few years since all of his sons are committed there.

The guy at my work that is obsessed with Utah State and never shuts up about them is positive Andersen is not going anywhere for a few years since all of his sons are committed there.

I think he is probably correct. I also think he will replace Kyle at Utah in a few years, because Kyle is doing a lot of things wrong, frankly.

But, this type of discussion is good to vet out what the thinking process needs to be. It starts with this: How did we get fooled by Dan Hawkins and Jon Embree?

Here's some clues:

1. Neither had been a coordinator of an offense or defense
2. Neither built a program from nothing to something
3. Neither had a background of rebuilding an offense or defense
4. Neither was particularly well connected with candidates for OC or DC who could come in here and fix something

Embree was not only a stretch, but EB and Brown were stretches from day one. JE had some decent position coaches (Tui for example).
Hawkins was an imposter who took what Koetter built and lucked into a guy named Chris Peterson and rode a wave.

Be very careful from here. DeRuyter - loved it when FSU hired him. For CU though? Not sure. He took an experienced team to new heights but he did that with Hill's recruits. Some risk with that.

It's a risk/reward assessment and I'm thinking CU needs a very low risk hire that will get them into bowl games soon.

What could possibly go wrong?

Anderson makes 750,000. CU triples that I'm sure that would get him to change his mind.

Back