What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The officiating at the end of this game is why basketball can suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Buffs need to come out and get a win against ASU. They do that, and all this can blow over and hopefully we can get revenge at the Foam Dome. They lose however, and suddenly I think the risk of a big slide is real, when dealing with the psyches of such a young team.

You like that Boyle is fighting for his players in this one. I do doubt that his public comments are going to make any friends with this ref crew, but I doubt he cares a damn.

You like that Boyle is fighting for his players in this one. I do doubt that his public comments are going to make any friends with this ref crew, but I doubt he cares a damn.
I think he is sending the refs a message.

Perhaps a CSU grad who applied to CU?

Officials: Verne Harris, James Breeding, Randy Mccall

It was Verne Harris.

And this was the same crew that butchered the Texas Southern game they fouled Dre out of with a bunch of ticky tack shiit.

This is absolutely disgusting. How they can look at that replay and change that call is a crime.

SCO ‏@TucsonSco
@BrucePascoe I'm not sure people realize the refs use their own replay system for games and don't get their replays from us in the tv truck

Chen's fingers are still slightly bent from contact and the tips still touch the ball.

ibfO7xRwDI6SIP.gif

cocheny.jpg

His left wrist/fingers haven't passed the vertical position (turned over) with the clock at zero and light on, so it would be hard to say that it's good. If he did get it off, it's the closest call in the history of sport. It actually looks like his right finger may have been in contact.

Last edited:
That's really weird that the basketball officials get different film than the tv network. I can't imagine what they use if that's the case. Do they think they've got something better to look at than ESPN filming in HD?

That's really weird that the basketball officials get different film than the tv network. I can't imagine what they use if that's the case. Do they think they've got something better to look at than ESPN filming in HD?

My guess is they don't use cameras related to the truck, since there are many times when broadcasts will miss some action while showing other footage, stat overlays, just being late, etc. I don't really know, though.

SCO ‏@TucsonSco
@BrucePascoe I'm not sure people realize the refs use their own replay system for games and don't get their replays from us in the tv truck

His left wrist/fingers haven't passed the vertical position (turned over) with the clock at zero and light on, so it would be hard to say that it's good. If he did get it off, it's the closest call in the history of sport. It actually looks like his right finger may have been in contact.
the bottom shot: Because the pic is 2 dimensional, you can't tell if his fingers are touching or are 3 inches away.

the bottom shot: Because the pic is 2 dimensional, you can't tell if his fingers are touching or are 3 inches away.

I'm only going by the idea that he finished the motion by turning his wrist over, as do all people executing a jump shot. In the 2nd still shot, he is not quite to a vertical position with his fingers, which means there is certainly a possibility that he was still in contact with the ball. Now, it's possible that he pushed it with the palm side of his knuckles (doubt it), but if that was the case, he probably wouldn't have turned his wrist over on the follow through.

I think he is sending the refs a message.

What kind of influence can he have with such a message? It's not like refs are going to be afraid of Tad Boyle, because he criticized them. The only way good comes from it is if the PAC-12 does or says something regarding it.

The selection committee probably doesn't like hearing that a coach thinks they got screwed either. We Buff fans know that they did, and appreciate the sentiment and him sticking up for former players. But nothing good can really come of it. There's a political side to college sports, and if you basically extend your middle finger towards those that make decisions that either help or hurt your university... it usually isn't good.

Another thing to think about is that the ball would have needed to be out of his hands at 0.1, since there are no hundredths of a second on the clocks. Looking at any screenshots of the ball being out at 0.0 does no good. The first two pages of this thread show side view pictures at 0.1, but you can see that he hasn't turned over his wrist/fingers in them. The space between the ball and hand is a ghost effect and you can't really tell if he is touching the ball or not. That's why I'm going by the fact that he hasn't turned over his wrist, yet.

We also have no idea what view the referees have, since they have their own footage. It also might be higher quality video. No idea.

Here's a second confirmation about footage:

Bruce Pascoe ‏@BrucePascoe
FWIW, UA official told me that Pac-12 installed a new video system for officials only at its schools this year, so refs do not use TV feeds.

Last edited:
Another thing to think about is that the ball would have needed to be out of his hands at 0.1, since there are no hundredths of a second on the clocks. Looking at any screenshots of the ball being out at 0.0 does no good. The first two pages of this thread show side view pictures at 0.1, but you can see that he hasn't turned over his wrist/fingers in them. The space between the ball and hand is a ghost effect and you can't really tell if he is touching the ball or not. That's why I'm going by the fact that he hasn't turned over his wrist, yet.

We also have no idea what view the referees have, since they have their own footage. It also might be higher quality video. No idea.

Here's a second confirmation about footage:

Bruce Pascoe ‏@BrucePascoe
FWIW, UA official told me that Pac-12 installed a new video system for officials only at its schools this year, so refs do not use TV feeds.
the fact that they ruled it a 3 meant it should have remained a 3 due to inconclusive replay

I'm only going by the idea that he finished the motion by turning his wrist over, as do all people executing a jump shot. In the 2nd still shot, he is not quite to a vertical position with his fingers, which means there is certainly a possibility that he was still in contact with the ball. Now, it's possible that he pushed it with the palm side of his knuckles (doubt it), but if that was the case, he probably wouldn't have turned his wrist over on the follow through.

I don't think so. I'd normally agree with your logic, but when watching the shot, it's obvious that Chen short armed his shot in order to get a quicker release. Doing so often leads to not following through on a shot, which is pretty clear when viewing the side angle.

all those pictures of the back view are close yes look at the side view! its clearer than day i know im late to this, (had to drink away the pain) wats the word on why it was called off

all those pictures of the back view are close yes look at the side view! its clearer than day i know im late to this, (had to drink away the pain) wats the word on why it was called off

2013-January-3-22-37-7.jpg

That picture only seems to support that the ball is not out of his hand. It is slightly behind his wrist. If the ball was out, it would be out in front of his wrist moving towards the basket. Being slightly behind, or right over, the wrist would hint that at least his fingertips were on the ball.

The blur you see between the ball and his hand is simply ghosting from motion and bright light. It can give a faux view of space. That’s why the basketball has taken on a football shape. Pretty much Photo 101 with regard to tears, pixelation, light, motion, etc. The hand blur is going straight up to the ball, though.

In saying that, I'm still only about 70% sure that the call was correct. The other 30% is just not knowing what the officials saw in their footage. Hopefully, we're able to see it sometime, although I doubt it.

That picture only seems to support that the ball is not out of his hand. It is slightly behind his wrist. If the ball was out, it would be out in front of his wrist moving towards the basket. Being slightly behind, or right over, the wrist would hint that at least his fingertips were on the ball.

The blur you see between the ball and his hand is simply ghosting from motion and bright light. It can give a faux view of space. That’s why the basketball has taken on a football shape. Pretty much Photo 101 with regard to tears, pixelation, light, motion, etc. The hand blur is going straight up to the ball, though.

In saying that, I'm still only about 70% sure that the call was correct. The other 30% is just not knowing what the officials saw in their footage. Hopefully, we're able to see it sometime, although I doubt it.

So, you're 70% sure the refs made the right call? I'm 100% sure they didn't and the explanation above is bull****. 99% of the national media seems to agree. Move along troll and be happy the Cats got away with one last night. They aren't nearly a top 5 team in the country and it will show as the season moves on.

That was a GD robbery, plain and simple, If the side shot looks to anyone like it has not left his hand they are:
A) Blind
B) looking at the pic on a Commodore 64
C) crackhead

You are the dude in Psychology 101 in Meunzinger that runs the experiment with the 3 lines. You plant people in he class to say that the second shortest line is the longest to try and convince the subjects you are studying.

Doesnt work here bud. There is clearly air between his finger and the ball.

What we keep seeing are photos in which his hand might be touching at the 00.1 mark. What I haven't found is a picture where his hand is touching at the 0.00/light framing the board mark. The first series of pictures you quoted (series of three) shows--if you're willing to look closely enough--space between all of his upraised fingers and the ball. He follows through after the shot.

So please produce that photo in which his hands are touching after time expires. Thanks in advance.

You are the dude in Psychology 101 in Meunzinger that runs the experiment with the 3 lines. You plant people in he class to say that the second shortest line is the longest to try and convince the subjects you are studying.

Doesnt work here bud. There is clearly air between his finger and the ball.

I don't really get this but you call him Bud and tell him he's wrong there at the end so I'll agree

I woke up at 3AM. Couldn't sleep. But it wasn't the call at the end that wouldn't leave my brain. It was the turn overs by Booker and Roberson and the missed free throws by Scott, Dineiddie and Adams. Aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh!

I woke up at 3AM. Couldn't sleep. But it wasn't the call at the end that wouldn't leave my brain. It was the turn overs by Booker and Roberson and the missed free throws by Scott, Dineiddie and Adams. Aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh!

Agree. The call was robbery but CU can only blame themselves for choking that game away in the final minute and a half. How you can continue to keep turning the ball over at the end of games and miss free throws is beyond me.

It should never have come down to a last second shot.

This reversal and all the discussion in this thread is my biggest problem with replay in general - that if they have to look at the replay that long and examine it down to that level of detail, then you've already implicitly made the decision, which should be to stick with the original call. When they go to replay they shouldn't be going to the review with the intent of making a call. The call has already been made. They should be going to a review with the total burden of proof being on proving the complete opposite of the original call on the field/court, and if there's any doubt whatsoever then stick with the original call. If they go to the replay and they're say 80% sure it was the opposite of what was called, then that should not be good enough to overturn the call.

Indisputable video evidence should be just that - only to overturn the calls that were blatantly obvious to everyone that were wrong. If there's any doubt whatsoever they should stick with the original call, but replay is not implemented that way in any of the sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back