What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Orms Hit

Terrible call. Just like the face mask penalty that should have been.

actually there was at least 2 missed facemask calls.... but if we continue this officiating thread, we are going to sound like fuskers:lol:

Fun hit to watch and one that had me whooping when I saw it. Zebras were way out of line and played to the crowd. You cannot do it much better than Orms did on that play.

No way does that get called in an SEC game. Just sayin'.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see that as an intro highlight next year. That's textbook.

Speaking of Mr Scott ..... with the $$ from the new tv deal, I wonder if the commish is gonna audition/hire better zebras? If the schools/teams can use their money for facility and coaching upgrades, then there's no reason the conference shouldn't upgrade the on-field product.

Somebody offer Mr. Scott's mom a job at a Boulder bank. That ought to do it.

Absolutely textbook hit/tackle, at any level.

It's ludicrous to call a foul for a legal hit on a receiver making a play for the ball.

The hit was from the shoulder to the mid-section. There was no helmet to helmet, no targeting. The only other thing you could do is to not tackle receivers making plays on the ball.

Horrible, horrible call. Even worse after Tony Jones nearly had his neck broken from the flagrant facemask right before.

It was clearly a call to help Utah win. No other explanation. The Pac refs are horrible, and Larry Scott needs to address it or he should be fired.

Even my relatives (non-CU fans) were flabergasted at the call, and quickly learned how horrid Pac officiating is.

Terrible call. Perhaps with all the games televised next year we can make a youtube video with all the botched Pac calls to shed more light on this situation nationally, forcing Larry's hand in improving the officiating?

Would have been funnier if it were any of us video taping our TV's....pretty sure there would have been some solid profanity laced tirades directed at the Zebra's, especially after the even more ridiculous missed facemask moments earlier....Do know that my Dog and Wife were both momentarily taken aback by my eruption

Im just waiting for the day someone records a video of me watching a buffs game, especially a close one. There would definitely be YouTube worthy material.

Depending on the new recruits and whether Bell gets back. Unfortunately, I don't think Bell will be ready to participate in the spring.

Greg Brown said prior to the Utah game that Bell will not be back for spring, they are hoping that he will be ready for fall camp but he may be limited there. I think that even if he is back for fall he won't be full speed. This may actually be a case, worst case scenario, where he goes another year without playing. The injury is severe enough and clearly documented that he could appeal for a sixth year at the end of his college career when it gets there. I just hope that he can come back and the the knee is ruined and his speed lost.

On the Orms hit, replaying it shows what I thought I saw the first time around, a completely B.S. call. The hit from Orms was a shoulder to the front of the torso. He did not use his helmet, he did not launch himself into the reciever, he did not strike with an arm or fist along with the shoulder hit. The reciever had clearly made contact with the football and was less than one full step away from losing contact with the football at the time of the hit. Unless you are going to start playing two hand touch, this was a good, clean, legitimate hit in the course of defending against a pass. Furthermore, Orms did not stand over the reciever, taunt the reciever, or in any way make a show regarding the hit, it was a pure football play.

If the refs want to make a make-up call, make it on the DB who had the questionable (although I also think legitimate) hit earlier, Polk. Parker is a kid who has played the game with a high level of sportsmanship and should not be penalized in this case. I think if this same hit is made in Boulder it is a no-call but the refs were intimidated by the home crowd which has a long history of crying about officiating from their MWC days and even their WAC days.

Speaking of Mr Scott ..... with the $$ from the new tv deal, I wonder if the commish is gonna audition/hire better zebras? If the schools/teams can use their money for facility and coaching upgrades, then there's no reason the conference shouldn't upgrade the on-field product.

I seriously doubt anyone will ever accuse P-12 officiating of being good. The SEC & B-10 have better zebras period.

I recorded the game yesterday but havne't watched it on TV. Watching it live I agree with you guys.

My question is, what did the TV crew think? Did they say it was a bad call?

I recorded the game yesterday but havne't watched it on TV. Watching it live I agree with you guys.

My question is, what did the TV crew think? Did they say it was a bad call?

Yes. Klatt described it as a textbook hit.

I was watching the game with both brother's in law, one who played at Alabama and both who are huge Bama fans and they both said that hit would have never been called by SEC refs. It was a fair hit, its football.

Every league has something that they need to work on. In the Big10 holding isn't called very much. In the SEC it's like that too. When the league is about rushing and gaining yards on the ground then the refs see passed some of that. Holding will get called on passing plays, but rarely ever on running plays.

In the Big12 if you aren't Texas or OU (or UT in the RRR) then you get called.

The Pac12 is a QB league. Late hits will get you calls more often then not. It's a finesse league and it can hurt the physical teams in the conference. We did have our fair share of crappy calls though. We didn't get 15 for that hit they put on Tyler as he was sliding (forgot the game) and things like the facemask and Orms' hit were miscalls.

We also don't get very many calls because we aren't very good. Kind of a catch-22 because we could have lost at Utah due to those miscalls. We are just going to have to learn to put teams away and make it so that the refs can't take it away until we are able to compete with each and every team in the Pac12 on a weekly basis.

Honestly compared to some of the B12 refs I have seen in the past decade the P12 refs are not so bad. I do agree that they are a little quick on the roughing calls which is total crap. But honestly outside the utah game I thought the officiating was better on the whole than B12 refs. The other thing is I have a bunch of SEC fans around me living in the south and they complain about the refs here too and wish they had a new group. Specifically they say that holding calls all rampant, most of which are bogus. And you can kill a QB in this league without ever getting a roughing call. P12 is def opposite.... touch a QB and you're getting a flag. Just a difference in styles, P12 is a passers league with 3 future NFL starters playing in it so they are gonna protect the Qb's. And anyone remember the infamous KSU celebration call in the pinstripe bowl last year? That was B10 refs making the call. So not like other leagues refs are exactly stellar.

Anyway overall refs not great but better than B12 and my biggest issue is not so much they called the roughing its the situation. As a ref you CANNOT determine a game like that. That one call very very easily could have cost CU the game. If that call was made in the first half or something not as big of deal (still wrong and ****** but not as big of deal). The ref needs some common sense about when to make judgement calls like that.

The problem, as I see it, is that because Pac 12 refs are so quick on the personal foul flags, we put ourselves at a disadvantage when we go up against SEC schools. They're going to be a lot tougher there. They have to be. That makes our job much harder when we have to play them.

This particular call did not cost us the game, and for that I'm very grateful. I hope the league uses that play to show the referees what a good hit looks like. I hope the guy who threw that flag is called out for it. He needs to know that it was a bad call and why it was a bad call. Maybe next time, he won't be so quick with the flag.

The problem, as I see it, is that because Pac 12 refs are so quick on the personal foul flags, we put ourselves at a disadvantage when we go up against SEC schools. They're going to be a lot tougher there. They have to be. That makes our job much harder when we have to play them.

This particular call did not cost us the game, and for that I'm very grateful. I hope the league uses that play to show the referees what a good hit looks like. I hope the guy who threw that flag is called out for it. He needs to know that it was a bad call and why it was a bad call. Maybe next time, he won't be so quick with the flag.

Hopefully there is some system, like the NFL, where CU can send in the tape of the hit and any other missed calls to the PAC. Gotta let the conference know when their officials are wrong.

I'm less pissed about the call on Orms than the non call on the face mask. That was blatant and in clear site.

I'm less pissed about the call on Orms than the non call on the face mask. That was blatant and in clear site.

Yeah, I'm still not sure how the line judge and the back judge (correct? the one that stands behind the offenses backfield?) both missed seeing Jones' face mask being grabbed. We know for a fact that 2 of the 3 blind mice missed that one.

Yeah, I'm still not sure how the line judge and the back judge (correct? the one that stands behind the offenses backfield?) both missed seeing Jones' face mask being grabbed. We know for a fact that 2 of the 3 blind mice missed that one.

It isn't like the facemask happened outside of the pile where it would be easy to see, and TJ's head didn't get twisted around, easy to see how multiple refs would miss that one, especially since nobody follows the ballcarrier.

It isn't like the facemask happened outside of the pile where it would be easy to see, and TJ's head didn't get twisted around, easy to see how multiple refs would miss that one, especially since nobody follows the ballcarrier.
Disagree on both counts.

I can understand the mistake the ref made on Orms' hit. BECAUSE HE DIDN'T SEE IT. All he saw was a guy get laid out, then he tossed the flag.

I'm over it now, but I damn near broke some **** when that call was made.

Back