1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Paul Richardson "Non-Catch" call???

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Rraalph 3000, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a replay of that play or can sum up what the refs saw that even put this call in jeopardy?? Still baffled about that play and wanted to re-watch, as from my vantage point it looked like he caught it, had 2 feet down, his butt then hits ground, he stands up and then flips the ball....

I've heard a few folks equating this to the "Calvin Johnson" rule from the Detroit game a few weeks back....but I don't see how that comes into play when you're down immediately upon hitting the ground in college.

Sorry if this has already been rehashed....

2. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

I was wondering the same thing as well...

3. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Ball came out when his arm hit the ground, he did not get up and flip it to the ref. Must've been they thought he didn't maintain control all the way through contact. I thought it was a ****ty call.

4. RuffBuff

RuffBuff Club Member Club Member

:yeahthat:

5. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

I thought it was catch, he was already down by that point but I could be wrong I guess. Maybe Im not updated on the possession rules, I think the Johnson play was a catch too but Im not a ref.

6. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

I thought that was a catch too.

7. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

It was a catch.

Looked like the ground caused it. The ground can't cause a fumble on a run, but since it was a pass, perhaps that equates to an incompletion.

8. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Supposedly the ground can't cause a fumble - but it can cause an incompletion. Because he didn't maintain control all the way down to the ground, they considered that an incomplete pass.

The officials from 1992 Stanford laugh at that call.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I think you now have to control the ball through the entire catch. Through my gold colored glasses, I thought it was a catch. But by rule I think that since he didn't establish control with a football move before going to the ground, that the ground knocking the ball out means he didn't complete the catch. I'm not totally sure, though. I could be mixing up the NFL rule with college.

10. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

I love football moves. Sometimes, I do them when no one is looking.

11. BuffLuKe

I think it was a catch but Clete Blakeman doesnt lol.

12. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

He controlled it all the way up to having his feet down. I don't see how that can't be a catch. I saw the replay quite a few times. If it wasn't a catch then the rules are wrong.

13. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

IF the rule is the same as the NFL rule.... it is not a catch. He did have both feet down, but did not complete his football move by going to the ground retaining possession.

I did think the rule was different in college and I am working on finding that rule....

14. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

College rule is different from the pros.

The announcers thought it was a bad call, too. I thought it was a catch, I think if it had been originally called a catch and then reviewed, it would have been confirmed.

15. PhillyBuff

That is what I thought.... I thought it should have been a catch if the college rule was more liberally stated... there is no question he had both feet down with the ball....

16. BuffLuKe

Ok what exactly is supposed to be the football move on that play? When hit feet hit and he landed on his ass or what? I know the NFL rule, eventho the Johnson call was crap because he has Dr. J size hands. I thought he was down and completed the catch.

17. PhillyBuff

football move is defined as completing the motion..... Richardson never stopped his motion... he had 2 feet down and was falling... so under the NFL rule (which I think is different than the college rule) he never was able to stop his motion and fell down... the ball came out as he hit the ground...

If you compare Calvin Johnsons no catch to Richardsons... I say Richardsons would be incomplete under the NFL rule with MUCH LESS DEBATE than CJ's.

18. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

can anyone post a video of it on youtube.

19. BuffLuKe

I know the rule, its just he was already down by contact. NFL, no catch. College, I dont really know.

20. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

http://www.oficiales.org/A_2009/ncaa/NCAAINGLES/2009-10%20NCAA%20Footbal%20Rule%20Book.pdf

21. BuffLuKe

22. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

This would seem to be the pertinent legalese...
    But I've looked at the replay again and again, he has two feet down, then his butt down, then his elbow hits. I think the refs missed it, but tough call either way.

23. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

He jumped, caught and controlled the ball while falling backwards, was hit by a defender, and then hit the ground and ball came loose. I'm still not clear on why this wasn't a catch.

24. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Therein lies the problem, neither do the officials.

25. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

The best part of all of that... is even though they got ****ed over.. they battled back and capitalized on georgias **** up and punished them for 7 points...

26. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Cie la vie. Karma repaid us with a roughing-the-kicker call. Seriously, how often does THAT happen? Most of the time roughing calls are on the punter, not kicker.

27. BuffLuKe

It happens because you are taught to take the ball off his foot, I missed that play so didnt see it.

28. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I agree with all who are saying it should have been a catch. The only thing I can think of that would justify the call on the replay is if the officials felt like they could not see it clearly enough all the way through to overrule the call on the field. I think that there is a hesitancy on the part of officials to overrule the call of a fellow official on the field, especially if that official feels strongly about his call. This kind of defeats the purpose of replay but officials do things like this (kind of like make-up calls in basketball.)