1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Plan at QB?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by ScottyBuff, Dec 21, 2010.

1. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Senior - Tyler Hansen, 6-1 205. Mobile athletic QB with 20 games experience.
    RS-Freshman - Nick Hirschman, 6-3 230. Pro-Style QB pocket passer.
    RS-Freshman - Josh Moten, 6-0 195. Mobile athlete was at CB in 2010 but was a prep QB.
    RS-Freshman - Justin Gorman, 6-0 200. Mobile athlete walk-on who could play QB or WR.
    RS-Freshman - Harold Mobley, 6-4 230. Projected as a TE/WR but recent rumors of him at QB.

While we haven't been given any insight into Coach Embree and Bienemy's offensive plan the evidence is beginning to suggest that we will favor a mobile QB and that they would be involved heavily in the running game.

This could partly explain Berglund's de-commitment, if he felt that he wanted to be in a more pass-friendly scheme and why Embree felt that the QB position wasn't a "particular need" this cycle.

2. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Embree better hit the JCs next year.. NOt a lot of experience on that roster.

3. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Does Hirschman stick around?

4. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

This is all speculation, but I would think so until at least Spring ball rolls around. If he isn't given a real shot at the job he's a goner. He did have a couple of huge plays in the scrimmage last year, so I would hope that he gets at least a real shot.

5. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

buffnik has been posting that the new scheme is pro-style....tailback, fb....playaction, QB drops to a spot. that would seem to suit Hirschmann and with Sherry and Bergland out of the picture...give him a pretty big advantage in 2012. he'll have 3 years left. regardless of the coaching change (which may indeed favor him), he had to think TH would be the starter this year. i don't see any reason for NH to start looking around based on what we know.

6. Del

Del Member

Plan at QB? - sign a guy who is not affraid of a pro-style offense and would like to increase his chances of being drafted in the NFL --all you spread happy QB's out there pay attention to when Andrew Luck goes on draft day after running a pro-style offense.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

plan at QB is to stop signing scrubs and character/academic risks. Gorman was scout player of the year I believe (not that that makes me feel all that much better, but its something). We will only sign quality in this class (and in the future, thanks JE), so don't be surprised if we don't take a QB if we don't find one we like.

8. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

Why would he leave. He would be the guy after Hansen graduates or at least be the leader in the clubhouse. If he leave he will have to sit out a year anyway. In addition to that he would be the backup and more than likely over the course of the year get some playing time.

I would worry more about Hansen leaving if Hirschman comes out of spring ball as the leader. Hansen has a redshirt year left and I'm sure as a senior he doesn't want to be a backup.

9. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

That's all well and good, but we had a quality guy committed, and somehow he's now decided he wants to go to Kansas. QB depth is abysmal right now. We damn well better sign a guy in this class. If we don't, or if we get a guy who's not as good as Berglund, I'm going to be extremely disappointed in JE & Co.

10. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I think we will be very happy with Hirschman.

11. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

I think Hirschman right now has a better shot at starting than does Hansen. Brand new playbook, clean slate, fits a pro-style offense better. Embree's said himself he plans on running a pro-style offense akin to Stanford and Hirschman fits that offense much better. Ultimately, Embree needs a pocket passer with GOOD ENOUGH mobility, akin to Luck (though I doubt many Luck's come around even every 5 years!) Though I'm not sure we've seen much mobility out of Hirschman. Sherry actually probably fits the offense better than BB would have.

There's plenty of time until signing day, I'm sure we'll see something. Recruiting-wise, next year is a MUCH better clas for QBs than this year was. This year seems to be a really down year for QBs in general.

12. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I agree. However, our depth at QB is a serious problem right now. I don't know if JE is banking on landing the kid from Mullen next year or what. In any event, if Hansen and Hirschman both get hurt next year, we're in a world of hurt at that position. It would behoove us to have another guy.

13. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Maybe we should start a Cam Newton fund, he has another year of eligibility...if we can put together enough $$$$$.........

14. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

would Hirshman fit in a pro-style offense? I know he isn't extremely mobile, but seems to have a pretty good arm, at least from what we saw in the spring game..

15. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Hirsch is designed for a pro-style offense.

16. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I heard an interesting interview with Mac on Krackman's show. Mac actually called in as "Bill." Anyway, Mac believes in the "running/throwing" QB and the spread option. He says that offense has taken over HS and college and he thinks it will be the offense of the future in the NFL. I don't necessarily agree with that because NFL defenders will kill the QB. His call was in reference to Tebow.

But listening to him got me thinking about Emree's stated desire to run a pro style offense. It seems like he is going against the grain with that. I hope whatever he does works.

17. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

Hirshman ran a pro-styles offense in high school

18. Follow-Rado

Follow-Rado Member

Its all about the players. If you have Andrew Luck and Gerhardt, a couple good WR and a good line, you can put up huge points in the Pro set. If you have Joey Brokearm, a mediocre RB and OL, then you don't. I think coaches like the spread because it simplifies your recruiting. If you can find a good spread-style QB, then you can put up points. Of course, in the big games, against top Defensive talent, you lose. But at least you got to the game.

19. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Will "Wildcat" Jefferson.

20. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

21. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Darian3Hagan likes this.
  22. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

Darian3Hagan likes this.
  23. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

24. Spanky

Spanky Member

25. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Look, BB was a bad idea for lots of reasons. Not his talent. But it wasn't just him. And yoru do NOT want cancers in the locker room. Or crazy parents. Or maybe JE looked at the film and realized BB wasn't accurate enough in the passing game to run his O. Who knows. But its the schollies you give out to players that aren't gonna help you taht hurt you, not the ones you don't give out. We have serviceable, at best, depth next year. But I would rather us stay home from the prom than go with the girl who gives us the clap.

26. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Agreed. We don't need a cancer in the locker room, whether it's BB or his father.

27. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

good post and agree. one question though. what beer are you on? :smile2:

28. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

Given all of the drama that ensued when Mangino was fired and the subsequent drama of the ticket scandal within the Kansas AD.

It sounds as if BB and Kansas are a match made in heaven :nod:

29. ruffemupbuff

ruffemupbuff New Member

Brock was the first guy Embree called and visited so I think he wanted him bad after pulling the offer to Sherry. CU needs a QB this cycle. Snyder etal pulled one off here. Not sure about your reference to cancer. Brock has been a Buff fan his whole life. His quote earlier was 'I committed to CU, not Hawk'. That is a guy who wanted to be here. And serviceable depth is a stretch. 2 guys on scholarship and a walk on? One injury and we are screwed.

30. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Pabst Blue Ribbon...