What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The playoff committee is getting it right

In general yes I am. I can understand and support 2 or even 4 but beyond that it changes the essence of what is great about college football.

If I want to watch games that losing doesn't mean anything because they will get it back next week I will watch the NFL. If I want to go with second (and third, and fourth) chances I will watch the NFL.

In the NFL the Super Bowl champion is the champion, great, that's the system. Don't try to tell me though that a team that sneaks into the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 and wins the SB is the best team that season. They are the best team at the moment because they got hot at the right time and they got the right draw in the brackets.

College football to me is interesting from week one till the end because every single game matters. Lose one game and you have to hope that other teams falter, lose two and you should be done.

We have playoffs in every other major sport if you want them. Don't screw up college football so some team can lose 3 games and still get in as the 4th wild card and hit a lucky run. I'm sick of the give the loser's another chance mentality.
I think you are in the minority here. Obviously there was a need for a change otherwise nothing would have been done. When strength of schedule is so important I think your whole argument makes it a little difficult. I don't think anyone was claiming last year that an undefeated OSU team was the best team in the country. Their competition wasn't the best. Maybe they aren't the best example. I don't know. I can definitely see your side, I just don't agree with it.

my son attended a "unnamed pac 12 school" that played last nite..said the schools were only given 3500 tickets each??? ...those were sold out in minutes...so whats the pac 12 doing with the whole upper deck which was empty??

So conference champs autobid wouldn't make it more interesting? Wtf

It would make the regular season BETTER. Now you'd watch the seccg because mizzou would be in if they won. Instead I'll watch it only for a Bama upset.

In BB it doesn't quite work the same because of the sheer number of games and the conference tourney and those autobids. Never been a fan of those. If the pac12 did a home and home in BB and best record got the autobid I'd agree with that. Can't use BB to say why football doesn't work though, except maybe the NFL.

In the old bowl system if we had had ND go undefeated a couple of years ago and play VT or whoever won the acc championship in the Orange they probably would have won the MNC.

The new system is better than the previous is much better than the old system.

If anything change the CCG to be number one and two in the conference. That way Mizzou didn't sleepwalk through and have a chance at the title.

I mostly agree with mtn in this discussion. But, since there is a playoff I think you need to show you belong in the top four to have a chance at number one.

So the Big12 should change their motto from One True Champion to Well, Whoever Declares It First. Sorry Baylor.

[tweet]541350492358463489[/tweet]

F*ck Baylor though.

I mostly agree with mtn in this discussion. But, since there is a playoff I think you need to show you belong in the top four to have a chance at number one.

And I can agree completely with this.

There are years that under the old system we had multiple teams from major conferences go undefeated and one lost out on the NC without ever playing the other. This year we have an undefeated FSU team that played a much weaker schedule than one loss Oregon and Alabama. I can see the argument that you win your conference and are clearly deserving you shouldn't have no shot at the other team ahead of you or an undefeated team put behind a conference champ with a loss without a shot to play them.

What I don't want to see is teams that didn't win their leagues, teams that lost in their divisions, teams that have two or three losses taking home a trophy because they got hot at the end.

And I can agree completely with this.

There are years that under the old system we had multiple teams from major conferences go undefeated and one lost out on the NC without ever playing the other. This year we have an undefeated FSU team that played a much weaker schedule than one loss Oregon and Alabama. I can see the argument that you win your conference and are clearly deserving you shouldn't have no shot at the other team ahead of you or an undefeated team put behind a conference champ with a loss without a shot to play them.

What I don't want to see is teams that didn't win their leagues, teams that lost in their divisions, teams that have two or three losses taking home a trophy because they got hot at the end.

That's a fair criticism.

But think of this. When CU won it all they had the toughest schedule in the nation. We tied a good Tennessee school at a "neutral" site. We played a lot of good teams.

Good teams schedule like **** in the OOC for the most part. Some don't even TRY. That's ridiculous. It makes for ****ty games in the "preseason" and makes for turrible games in the SEC in late Oct/November. It's ridiculous. That takes away a huge part of the game. I like CFB, but there are some duds every week and there shouldn't be in a "season determines the champ" rationale.

Then you have the SEC and ACC playing 8 games. What a joke.

Those teams need to be penalized somehow. Saying that FSU has to be perfect is fine. But they scheduled a bowl team in Okie Light and had UF OOC. Teams like Baylor played D3 schools. They didn't end up perfect even if they win tonight. If you are going to do that you have to be undefeated. Now Baylor should be shutout in our current format. If conferences got autobids they'd be in. I can see why they should be penalized.

It's not always easy. There is a case to be said that teams in the SEC West could be in the champ game (say LSU vs Bama....sleeper of a game). This way if they don't win the SEC hopefully that means they beat a good UW or attempted to.

Edit: Oh, and **** Bailer. We need to get away from teams gaming the system. I'd prefer every conference play each other, but conferences went to 14 teams (WTF!). I'd like to play all other 11 other teams in the Pac12. Best record takes it all. H2H in tie determines real champ.

NM -

What you are saying is the best argument for why we don't want to go to 8 teams. A team like Baylor that plays virtually nobody all year shouldn't get a shot at winning it all just because they win their conference and/or have a good record.

Make it clear that taking the easy path won't get you there and suddenly you start seeing teams schedule some tougher OOC just to make sure they aren't left out.

Oregon played a couple creampuffs in North Dakota and Wyoming but in addition to playing multiple ranked teams in conference they played the favorite in the B1G. Even with one loss they are locked into a chance for the title. Should a TCU/Baylor/tOSU get the same opportunity.

By the way FSU gets criticized for a weak conference but they played more teams that were ranked at the time they played them than the B12 schools did, and they went undefeated.

Can't argue with that. The Big 12 has major egg on it's face by doing a complete 180 from what it has been preaching all year. Looks small time and desperate.

But still progress from Bebe's slogan which was "One true champion, and it's Texas."

[tweet]541458720446636032[/tweet]

He's right, of course. And in the 8 team playoff system, Baylor would have to be named the B12-2 champ due to the head to head - the conferences would never stoop to using strength of schedule polls. And TCU would be in as a wild card. The only fair way to even the conference strengths is to have the major conferences invited. Since you can't have a 5 team playoff, you've gotta go with 8. This committee doesn't seem incapable of choosing the next most likely 3 teams.

Back