1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Real Reason the CFP will expand soon

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by bar9716, Jan 2, 2015.

1. bar9716

bar9716 Member

2. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

If it expands past 8 teams I will lose interest.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Follow the money, as always.

If there's more money in an 8-team playoff, we'll have an 8-team playoff.

And there's more money in an 8-team playoff. As proved yesterday, more eyeballs will be on a bowl game if it's a playoff game.

4. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

per game yes, but you will have more overall time spent watching the cfb playoff. that = more $.

Also, yes, please, MOAR PLAYOFF

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

fify

6. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

Let's hope not. I thought it was great to watch, and it felt a lot like Championship Sunday in the NFL.

7. PAHIBuff

And if they have trash music or nostalgia rock at the halftime of the NC, (unless it's Prince) I will check out altogether and become CSU-Pueblo follower…..

8. Buffnik

/Visions of a wardrobe malfunction during a Lita Ford & Ozzy duet at the 2020 National Championship brought to you by Cinch Jeans and Beef O'Brady's.

9. hokiehead

hokiehead Gobbler on the Mountain Club Member

yes, i believe it will be about money.

yes, all other factors being equal, a game called a "playoff game" will generate more viewers than one that isn't.

what would be interesting to me, is a chart that shows total CFB revenue distributed to the D1 schools over the last 50 or so years, and how that chart changes over the next score (adjusted for inflation).

10. PAHIBuff

Sweet. That, or Justin Beiber touches himself while lip-synching. Or a Fleetwood Mac retrospective….

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

And it will be held in the Bahamas, so betting is LEGAL!

12. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

If they could figure out a way to have the first round of the playoffs the week before Christmas, and incorporate some of the lower level bowls into the overall structure, I'd support it. (for instance, have the Cotton, Holiday, Peach and Citrus bowls each host first round games). Yesterday was pure bliss. I don't want to lose that. You could still have Orange, Sugar, Rose and Fiesta rotate who gets the semi-final games, while having the non-playoff major bowls host teams that just missed out.

Still, that's a lot to ask, and I worry that they'll mess it up somehow. When it ain't broke, I see little reason to fix it. It ain't broke.

13. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

We are talking about the NCAA and ESPN, what's the chances that they wouldn't completely screw it up?

14. Buffnik

You know, Christmas Day is exactly 1 week before New Year's Day.

Quarters = 4 games on Xmas
    Semis = 2 games on NYD
    Final = around 10 days after Semis, not to conflict with NFL playoff day

15. hokiehead

this would almost be enough make me a proponent of college football playoffs

16. sackman

Yes, I do know that, and I'd prefer to not have bowl games on Christmas day. In the event CU were to be in one of these things, it would create an issue for me that I'd prefer to not have to deal with. My preference would be to have the first round be the Saturday before Christmas, with the Semis on NYD, followed by the NCG on the Saturday after NYD. In years where Holiday falls on a Saturday, maybe move it a day or two in either direction. This year, that would have had the first round played on Dec 22, and the finals on the 10th. Perfect.

17. Buffnik

I'm down with that. Regardless of how it goes, the schedule definitely works. Main things are that you need at least 2 weeks after the season ends for practices & travel arrangements, New Year's Day to be about college football, and that you want everything besides the National Championship game decided before the NFL playoffs start.

18. sackman

Quick correction: I said the first round this year would have been on the 22nd. That's incorrect. It would have been on the 20th. Still, that would be great if they did it that way. 10 days between games. That works out pretty good.

19. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

The day before or the day after Christmas, but not on Christmas and I would be okay with the additional weekend... or maybe start on New Year's and schedule it so that the final game is during the break between NFL Conference championships and Super Bowl.

20. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

Why not start earlier and make the championship on new years day. Start in early December and take a week off for Christmas.

Dec 1st (ish): conference championships
    Dec 7th: round 1 of 8 teams
    Dec 14th: round 2 of 4 teams
    Jan 1st: national championship

21. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

Hell, I don't know. But I did love how NYD felt like NYD again. I liked having the back-to-back playoff games. If it were just one game, I think I would want more. Having both of those games with the yesterday with some of the normal NYD fare was all but perfect.

22. sackman

Not allowing adequate time for fans to make travel arrangements. As it stands, it's still pretty tough. UO and OSU fans are desperately trying to figure out how to get to Dallas on the 10th right now.

23. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Because of finals. When does FCS start its playoff?

24. hokiehead

if we are going to have a playoffs, we could put the games on-campus.

25. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

I knew you would come around! I like it!

26. sackman

All this talk about how to do an extra round of playoffs has convinced me that we shouldn't have another round of playoffs. Too many chances to royally screw it up.

Full disclosure, I was pretty much convinced beforehand that we shouldn't expand to 8 teams. Jens can be persuasive when he tries.

27. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

FCS starts their playoffs almost immediately after the season is over. Differences though. They play most rounds on campus so logistics of travel is much reduced. They also play early rounds on a regional basis so teams (and fans) are not dealing with long travel distances. They also usually don't have big contingents of fans traveling so they don't need huge blocks of hotel rooms and airline tickets

28. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Isn't there like a 10-year contract on this 4 team deal?

29. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

I know there is big $ involved and it also could be cool, but I think there could be a big backlash because the teams playing in the championship game would have to play 1 more game beyond the 1 extra game from the current format. I believe that was a big sticking point to why it took us this long to get to a 4 team playoff.

30. Buffnik

I'm not sure why that would be an issue.

Let's say ESPN says that the popularity of the playoff justifies expansion to 8 games and they're willing to pay for it.

No bowl game invited to be part of the expanded playoff is going to decline.

Only hurdle is the FBS bylaws on number of games, how teams get selected and how the playoff money gets split. If the money's right, they'll get it done.