What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Real Reason the CFP will expand soon

Honestly I love the 4 team playoff and think it is enough for now. Even if you go to 8 there is always going to be someone on the outside looking in who has a legitimate beef with the selection system. This is so much better than the BCS format.

I am not opposed to an 8 team playoff but I don't think it is critical.

I'm not sure why that would be an issue.

Let's say ESPN says that the popularity of the playoff justifies expansion to 8 games and they're willing to pay for it.

No bowl game invited to be part of the expanded playoff is going to decline.

Only hurdle is the FBS bylaws on number of games, how teams get selected and how the playoff money gets split. If the money's right, they'll get it done.
This. It most certainly can happen despite the existing contract.

However, I expect it will not. The NCAA is wise to let the clamoring for an expansion to build, and then put the 8 team playoff out to the open market after the current contract will expire to maximize its value.

I think you get most of the real contenders with the 4 team playoff. I loved NYD games more this year than I have in a long time, if ever. I don't think I want the 8 team playoffs, although I did before Jan 1 of this year. I thought it could not have been any more perfect. I like that the Big 12 had intentionally stayed below the limit so they didn't have to chance of the top team losing a CCG and getting knocked out, and essentially knocked themselves out of the running. If they had a CCG, then the winner would almost have certainly been in the final 4. And almost certainly been knocked out by Bama, IMO. Which would have supported no playoffs at all, since No 1 and 2 would be in the final game. I like that 2 and 4 are the teams playing.

I won't hate a 8 game playoff, but think they should be on campuses, and not take away more bowl games from the teams that are not top 8. As it is now, we have 4 teams playing in 3 major bowl games, instead of 4. Go to 8 teams and keep the bowl games as where they play, and you get 8 teams playing in 7 bowl games, instead of 14. Keeps 6 more teams out of the bowls, unless they start a couple new ones. And I like 6 win teams getting to play, extra practices, a good final game for seniors that have given they heart to a certain time for 4 or 5 years. Higher 4 seeds basically get a home game. Yes, makes it harder for the 5-8 seeds, but if you want a shot.. you have one. If they make it through, they proved they belonged for sure.

The new years 6 (orange,fiesta,cotton,rose,peach and sugar) will become the first round. ESPN is already designing it that way. 12 teams. Have the NC after the ProBowl between Championship Sunday and superbowl sunday.

I don't see a scenario where expansion to 8 doesn't ruin the awesomeness that was Dec. 31/Jan. 1.

You're not going to have the quarterfinals of an 8-team playoff on NYD. Its just not going to happen.

You're not going to have the quarterfinals of an 8-team playoff on NYD. Its just not going to happen.

One main driver for that is that the colleges want the season concluded before the beginning of the spring semester academic calendar. That way there's no issue with eligibility for bowl games. Much easier to manage football rosters if it is a one semester sport.

It sucks the Pac would only put one team in the playoff in the scenario above. They were the best bowl conference this year.

Back