What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Recruiting Game

Completely ****ty. "Who wants to go to Florida for free over spring break?" crickets. :cautious:
Have you been reading the All in one Florida thread?

Seriously though. A free trip to practice over spring break. Its not like they are going to go to daytona and party with sluts. I am not sure that bradenton is the spring break mecca

Complaining about the kids "practicing" over Spring Break, what their parents think, sympathizing with Alabama and the SEC, mentioning CU's "budget constraints", etc. Seems like sour grapes that it's UM doing this and not CU.

Complaining about the kids "practicing" over Spring Break, what their parents think, sympathizing with Alabama and the SEC, mentioning CU's "budget constraints", etc. Seems like sour grapes that it's UM doing this and not CU.
dan-hawkins-intramurals.jpg

Total sour grapes. Justifiable sour grapes. It's like watching CU play basketball and the other team gets all the calls.

Have you been reading the All in one Florida thread?

Seriously though. A free trip to practice over spring break. Its not like they are going to go to daytona and party with sluts. I am not sure that bradenton is the spring break mecca
I'm willing to bet they get significant beach time.

My problem with it is the "Arms Race" issue. How much do you think it costs to take a team. support staff, equipment, etc and set up shop for a week somewhere else? I would imagine it is about 150 people. I would guess it is about more than $1.5 million. Most programs cannot afford that and there is growing outcry about athletic spending in light of rising college cost. I do not think it is good for college athletics overall.

My problem with it is the "Arms Race" issue. How much do you think it costs to take a team. support staff, equipment, etc and set up shop for a week somewhere else? I would imagine it is about 150 people. I would guess it is about more than $1.5 million. Most programs cannot afford that and there is growing outcry about athletic spending in light of rising college cost. I do not think it is good for college athletics overall.

Exactly. This needs to be shut down because it's nothing more than "Come to Michigan, we spend spring break near a beach in Florida, expense paid, every year". And that's the start. It just escalates from there.

When I played baseball, we HAD to do this to get out of the snow. Many Northern Schools do an early spring training in order to get some practices in outdoors. But that's driven by the fact that real games have to be played. Spring Football does not have the same restrictions.

Why can't we ever hope to do this? If it's legal and UM is doing it, why can't we go practice at Long Beach Poly or De La Salle?

Edit: Maybe we go practice at La Mirada??
Hey, Phil, Can we borrow $750,000 to take 85 football players and the staff and all our equipment to CA for spring break?

Hello?

Phil?

Well said.

It is complete bull**** and a clear attempt to circumvent quiet period rules.

One example I did think of was that the NCAA allows basketball programs to go overseas every 4 years. Now, I'm not sure how well that compares to this case.

How is this any different than the rich schools being able to innovate, build and maintain top flight facilities, uniforms, etc while not all other programs are able to?

It is complete bull**** and a clear attempt to circumvent quiet period rules.
Doesn't IMG have, like, 3 top 100 recruits? At least. Maybe Tad should take the team to Virginia and have preseason practices at Oak Hill Academy next fall?

It essentially gives Michigan an extra week of contact. Do you guys realize how blatantly unfair that is in a recruiting context?

How is this any different than the rich schools being able to innovate, build and maintain top flight facilities, uniforms, etc while not all other programs are able to?
I doubt the NCAA could ban capital improvements. I'd imagine uniforms are paid for by the athletic equipment company. Like Nike.

Umm, because those facilities are in Michigan.

Umm, because those facilities are in Michigan.
Meant it in the context of some arguments here that UM shouldn't be allowed to do this because other programs can't afford to do it. The "Arms Race" argument, if you will.

Honestly, Duff's response is the only legitimate response I've seen on this issue, and it's probably the most obvious. Other programs not being able to afford doing it, parents being upset, kids not getting a spring break, or just saying that it's "going too far" are not legitimate arguments against this.

Meant it in the context of some arguments here that UM shouldn't be allowed to do this because other programs can't afford to do it. The "Arms Race" argument, if you will.

Honestly, Duff's response is the only legitimate response I've seen on this issue, and it's probably the most obvious. Other programs not being able to afford doing it, parents being upset, kids not getting a spring break, or just saying that it's "going too far" are not legitimate arguments against this.

I pretty much said the same thing Duff said in my third post so here it is again: I have no problem with Harbaugh hosting a million summer satellite camps as he tries to find players from all over the country but saying they are going to go "practice" when everyone else knows exactly what they are doing is too much IMO.

Well maybe the NCAA should do something right for once and handle it. ****, I heard this morning they are still doing the North Carolina investigation. How long has that been going on?

I pretty much said the same thing Duff said in my third post so here it is again: I have no problem with Harbaugh hosting a million summer satellite camps as he tries to find players from all over the country but saying they are going to go "practice" when everyone else knows exactly what they are doing is too much IMO.
Fair enough. If this is the case, the NCAA needs to step in and shut it down.

Question: During a quiet period, there can't be any off campus contact, correct? Who enforces this? Honor system? When Harbaugh and UM are in FL for their practices, isn't it the same honor system that would have to enforce the no contact?

Fair enough. If this is the case, the NCAA needs to step in and shut it down.

Question: During a quiet period, there can't be any off campus contact, correct? Who enforces this? Honor system? When Harbaugh and UM are in FL for their practices, isn't it the same honor system that would have to enforce the no contact?
What I asked in the OP was, "I don't know the contact rules during the spring break period. I'd imagine Michigan cannot initiate contact with these recruits but the recruits can initiate contact with Michigan. Is that correct?" So, my assumption is that if Michigan is out on the field practicing and Joe Football walks by and up to Harbaugh and starts talking, then that is allowable. But Harbaugh cannot go over to Joe Football and start talking.

What I asked in the OP was, "I don't know the contact rules during the spring break period. I'd imagine Michigan cannot initiate contact with these recruits but the recruits can initiate contact with Michigan. Is that correct?" So, my assumption is that if Michigan is out on the field practicing and Joe Football walks by and up to Harbaugh and starts talking, then that is allowable. But Harbaugh cannot go over to Joe Football and start talking.
The way I read it was there is to be zero contact off the college program's campus (can take UVs), but verbal/written communication is ok. So, according the the rules, Harbaugh and his staff still can't have any face to face contact with the recruits while they're out there... assuming you believe they are abiding by those rules.

In golf, cold weather teams "host" tournaments in warm weather locations. They have to be able to do that, obviously, in order to compete. But these are actual in season matches/tournaments. Same goes for skiing, XC, etc.

DBT...I was pretty sure the golf team at my college (not Div. 1), took a spring break trip to Alabama to practice up. I don't believe they were playing in tournaments.

DBT...I was pretty sure the golf team at my college (not Div. 1), took a spring break trip to Alabama to practice up. I don't believe they were playing in tournaments.
RTJ Trail? I've made one trip to the trail. Great golf!

You really don't see the difference between golf and football?

Which university has millions of dollars riding on recruiting the right golfers and gaining an unfair advantage?

Football and basketball are all about the money.

Which university has millions of dollars riding on recruiting the right golfers and gaining an unfair advantage?

Football and basketball are all about the money.
Oklahoma State, Alabama, Texas, Stanford, LSU, Baylor (**** Bailer)?

Back