What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Recruiting Game

The Council approved a proposal applicable to the Football Bowl Subdivision that would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school’s facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition. Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school’s camps or clinics. This rule change is effective immediately.

Does this second half of this mean that our coaches can't go be guest coaches at other camps or that we can't have guest coaches at ours? Not clear.

Also means that CU must immediately cancel all off campus satellite camps for this summer. That really changes the recruiting strategy.

Does this second half of this mean that our coaches can't go be guest coaches at other camps or that we can't have guest coaches at ours? Not clear.
It means both. Without the CA camps CU is in trouble. Most of the Pac12 is (except USC and UCLA). I hope the Pac12 as a whole objects to this.

The NCAA takes six months to sharpen a pencil, but the SEC throws a fit about camps and boom we have a new rule.

NCAA needs to make it so that coaches can attend the national and regional combines now.

Levels the playing field better than satellite camps ever could. Should be able to have coaches in attendance and recruiting at the Nike/ESPN/etc. combines.

It would also get some of the shadiness out of the business. Since they can't currently be there and recruit those events, some of the more aggressive programs will provide off-the-books compensation to people who are able to attend those events to get scouting and recruiting assistance from them.

This favors the SEC schools since most of their recruiting is within their league footprint. Compared to the other P5 conferences travel distances in the SEC footprint are smaller.

B.S.

I just don't get how you let Michigan practice in Florida during a recruiting dead period but then say teams can't have satellite camps during an open recruiting period.

Guys like Lyle T. would have never gone to college if this rule was in place a few years ago. That is a big time fail by the NCAA.

Those who want to will find a way around this as well.

Some D2 school in Florida or S. California now will hold a "local" camp which happens to have a couple of Michigan or Nebraska assistants as "special guest coaches."

Those who want to will find a way around this as well.

Some D2 school in Florida or S. California now will hold a "local" camp which happens to have a couple of Michigan or Nebraska assistants as "special guest coaches."
Coaches cannot attend a camp at a school for which they are not employed.

It means both. Without the CA camps CU is in trouble. Most of the Pac12 is (except USC and UCLA). I hope the Pac12 as a whole objects to this.
From ESPN:

The Big Ten was the only Power 5 conference that was in favor of satellite camps, a source told ESPN.

The SEC, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 conferences all voted to end satellite camps, a source said. Among the Group of 5 conferences, the Sun Belt and Mountain West voted against the satellite camps, while the Mid-American, Conference USA and American were in favor of continuing the camps.

Weird. I thought CU coaches were involved in a camp or two in CA. I may have got that wrong though.

Interesting idea from TCU for the evaluation period...

This week, TCU will do something different. Quite different, actually. The Frogs will spend the first week of the spring recruiting period in what they’ve dubbed the “Frog Frenzy,” where all nine assistants will spend the entire week saturating the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

“It’s kind of hard to do things different in recruiting. The rules are such that everybody’s essentially doing the same thing. Everyone’s sending a coach out to their area and he’s hitting his schools twice. That’s what we do as well,” TCU assistant head coach/running backs coach Curtis Luper told FootballScoop. “So we said, ‘What could we do differently?’ Well, what we could do is send all nine coaches to one area, and what better area than right here, the Metroplex? That’s what we’re going to do. Our objective is to hit as many schools as we can this next week and by the end of the week we want to be well over 150 schools.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/tcu-i...tants-to-recruit-dallas-fort-worth-this-week/

I love the idea of CU being a melting pot for talented, independent, intelligent players from around the country, but it is a risky approach. It does seem to reflect the transient population we've got here, though . . .

I love the idea of CU being a melting pot for talented, independent, intelligent players from around the country, but it is a risky approach. It does seem to reflect the transient population we've got here, though . . .

I believe that "melting pot" is no longer PC and the preferred nomenclature is a "fine stew".

Back