What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Recruiting Reporter That Wasn't

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
Interesting read on a recruiting analyst, Jonathan Paige, that actually wasn't a real person.

On April 19, a recruiting analyst named Jonathon Paige wrote the first post on his new blog, Summer Hoop Scoop. That post came with a modest announcement:
After a seven month hiatus and brief retirement, I am back. A lot of you followed me last summer on the website and twitter. I originally thought the yearly AAU circuit grind might be a bit much moving forward, but I just couldn't hang up the kicks and notepad.
With that, Paige soon got down to the business of finding and breaking recruiting information. He quickly amassed around 500 Twitter followers, and several mainstream college basketball reporters, assistant coaches and AAU personnel were among them. His site's popularity grew. His news dispatches were cited in blog posts -- including by some of the more popular team sites in the college hoops blogosphere -- and his insights were debated and bandied on many a message board.

The problem will all of this? Jonathon Paige doesn't exist.

Incredible.

Not so much what this ruse proved, but that someone would take the time to do it. I bet he had fun, though. :smile2:

Personally, I would have had a big recruit talk up CU, but I'm pretty biased.

Back