What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The rumors are hitting closer to home.

But you don't understand... CU is a unique situation. Only a CU guy can understand how to win here :rolling_eyes:

Which is crazy because the folks who believe that should understand that the only guy ever to win a national title at CU was not an alum.

In fact our most successful coaches in the last 50 years both played at Missouri, so maybe we're on the right track with this former player idea we're just looking at the wrong school. We need a True Tiger to lead this program.

Last edited:
Which is crazy because the folks who believe that should understand that the only guy ever to win a national title at CU was not an alum.QUOTE]

This. Why is it so hard to understand that pedigree and success higher than coaching a position is important? The examples are numerous.

In fact our most successful coaches in the last 50 years both played at Missouri, so maybe we're on the right track with this former player idea we're just looking at the wrong school. We need a True Tiger to lead this program.

Eddie Crowder was a Sooner.

I was listening to Mile High Sports this morning and Matt McChesney (who is one of the only former players to tell the truth) was saying there are some indications that Alfred Williams has said this is failed and needs to end (short version) He said this comes from another show host that was sitting at a function with Big Al. If this is true, an Matt said he asked Al via twitter with no response then why the hell doesnt he say something ? He sure as hell railed against Hawkins ( which was needed) It seems all the former players / media members with the exception of McChesney don't want to call out Embo, EB, Brown etc. I said this via twitter and it makes me sad but I am afraid it is 100% truth, The damage done is to much to overcome even with massive staff changes.

It more then likely is going to last another year, and I hope I am wrong, but I feel I am not, this is over, Embree is a dead man walking, and we are counting backwards to the day it happens.

Without question, Al and others have a double standard. However, since he has a personal relationship with Embo and others, I can understand the double standard. I'm ok with it. It's not like it's a national security issue and Al is not the AD at CU.

FWIW, Darrell Royal, legendary Texas coach, was born in Oklahoma, played football at Oklahoma, and graduated from Oklahoma.

Well, I think you all have nailed the downside we have with a coaching staff made up of people that we love as players and alumni.

The upside was we got the love for and re-plantation of our tradition that the Bird uprooted. There's something to say for the need for that to have happened regardless. It's roots are resetting for whomever gets the program (and from whatever program they themselves hail from).

The downside, of course, is now clear. When we criticize the coaches we are slamming our own. It hurts to do it (yet it's obvious why it has to be done). It's also why all these other players have a hard time doing it. We love Jon Embree, and Eb, etc. etc. and we always will. It's like criticizing your family. You wish you didn't have a losing coach that was FROM your family when it gets to this point (this would be so much easier for all of us if this were some coach with no historic ties to the program). Not just that, but we know it hurts those coaches MORE than it would an outsider. They have all the same reasons as an outsider to care (their livelihood and professional reputations on the line) but added to that they get to watch (and hear everyone else's opinion) their alma mater go through it's worst period ever in football.

I have a ton of sympathy. Many of you probably have jobs like I do where when you fail it is a public spectacle. Not easy. I wish, at this point, we had people that it would be easy to cut the cord with. It's not. These guys will be with us, regardless of how this job goes, for the rest of their lives. They are Buffs. It's what made them seem like just what we needed after our adventure in Birdland...and it's just what we wish we didn't have now.

To me, the GB situation is how I would hope it would eventually turn out for those guys. No fun for the coaches to go through, but always being regarded as our family and people who played crucial roles in our program's history. And hey...maybe I am pre-mature with all this? Maybe Yuri Wright is right., and things will shock us next year with big improvement? I hope so. I would love to be wrong about this. The coaching staff are our buddies and I would love for them to do well...(but, well, in the end this is a wins and losses business...)

You think Barnett was better than Crowder?

You're free to that opinion, I just wouldn't agree with it.

Hard to with the final #3 team in 1971 and a bunch of other good teams. Most of you kids weren't born then, though, so it's understandable you forget.

Don't think for a minute the powers didn't hire Embo and a homer staff for precisely what we're seeing now. They knew they would get almost a free ride from those that would otherwise be screaming if he came from outside the "family". As far as this nonsense about needing a former Buff to lead us to the promised land, other than Beamer and maybe Calhoun, name me a single coach that went back to his alma mater and led them to long-term success.

I have a ton of sympathy. Many of you probably have jobs like I do where when you fail it is a public spectacle. Not easy.

I agree to a point, but don't lose sight of the fact that Embo is getting paid $725k per year. That's a million and a half in two years. Tha'ts not much compared to many of his peers, but how many YEARS do you have to work to pull down that number?

I agree to a point, but don't lose sight of the fact that Embo is getting paid $725k per year. That's a million and a half in two years. Tha'ts not much compared to many of his peers, but how many YEARS do you have to work to pull down that number?

I would be happy to take $725k to suck as bad as this coaching staff does.

Not only that - I would be happy to take the payout to get rid of me, after sucking so bad.

Don't think for a minute the powers didn't hire Embo and a homer staff for precisely what we're seeing now. They knew they would get almost a free ride from those that would otherwise be screaming if he came from outside the "family". As far as this nonsense about needing a former Buff to lead us to the promised land, other than Beamer and maybe Calhoun, name me a single coach that went back to his alma mater and led them to long-term success.

I think they hired Embo because they only had to pay $750k. That was a big factor, not the only, but a big factor.

To answer your question, Suprrier at Florida. That said, it's not the norm.

I think they hired Embo because they only had to pay $750k. That was a big factor, not the only, but a big factor.

To answer your question, Suprrier at Florida. That said, it's not the norm.
I think we need to triple Embo's current salary for a new coach who is a very well known name, like Leech or Rodriguez.

RR would have been great. Sonny Dykes is this year's RR...but I doubt we will see a change so we'll have to consider 2013's RR. Or maybe 2014.

I think we need to triple Embo's current salary for a new coach who is a very well known name, like Leech or Rodriguez.

Because Leach is really tearing it up at Wazzou. :lol:

I do agree with you though that you get what you pay for. We need a guy who has at least shown an ability to be a significant part of a winning program, either as a successful head coach at at least a mid-major or a successful coordinator with significant responsibility at a winning major program.

At the same time the guy has to be a good fit in Boulder. I don't think Leach would be a good fit, RichRod you could argue both ways. In any case to get what we need is going to cost some money. You don't automatically get what you pay for, no guarantees, but if you don't pay you can be pretty sure not to get what you want.

Imposing unnecessary and restrictive conditions on your coaching search like "he must be currently unemployed so that we can hire him right away" is exactly how we landed ourselves in this mess to begin with, with respect to both the Hawkins and Embree hires.

I do agree with you though that you get what you pay for. We need a guy who has at least shown an ability to be a significant part of a winning program, either as a successful head coach at at least a mid-major or a successful coordinator with significant responsibility at a winning major program.

At the same time the guy has to be a good fit in Boulder. I don't think Leach would be a good fit, RichRod you could argue both ways. In any case to get what we need is going to cost some money. You don't automatically get what you pay for, no guarantees, but if you don't pay you can be pretty sure not to get what you want.

I admit that I am intrigued by Gary Anderson at Utah State. The dude has turned a seriously downtrodden program into a solid football team that plays very efficient offensive football. So he knows how to build (or rebuild) a program, and now has the best team in the state of Utah. Auburn needed a miracle at home to beat him last year in the first game after the NC (was down 10 with 2 minutes to go), and Wisconsin needed a last second field goal to pull out the win at home this year. He has also beaten Utah and BYU.

The bottom line in all of this is can it be fixed as it stands ? I don't think so because as I previously stated the damage that has been done is to much to overcome for this staff. I think it is a forgone conclusion that Greg Brown might as well pack up his office. On the other hand Embree is going to die with EB and I love Eric but the way he calls plays makes no sense, it is what I call "dart board play calling". I hope I am wrong, would love to come here a year from now and say so. Instead I think this will be the same discussion next year, with the cast members roughly the same, as well the results.

Paul Rhodes at ISU is trending in that direction.

RR would have been great. Sonny Dykes is this year's RR...but I doubt we will see a change so we'll have to consider 2013's RR. Or maybe 2014.

Good point. Dykes would be another good one. I think CU needs this type of guy, not an old school conventional/NFL style guy. That's just my opinion.

I wouldn't want Leech. He's unstable....more than most. That said, he's got a track record he can point to. He hat TT playign at a very high level with marginal talent as measured by recruiting rankings.

I don't understand this. What exactly is "good fit" in Boulder? We tried to hire a "zen-like" coach in Hawkins and that didn't work. We had a slick Californian running the show and he bailed. The frankness of Barnett was not PC enough for Boulder, but Coach Mac tried the "recruiting from bad neighborhoods" approach and made it work(which seems like the opposite of what would fly in Boulder). IMO the best fit is the best guy for the job, not what is best for the town. There are too many qualifiers for the HC job here and IMO that's a big part of the problem here.

I don't understand this. What exactly is "good fit" in Boulder? We tried to hire a "zen-like" coach in Hawkins and that didn't work. We had a slick Californian running the show and he bailed. The frankness of Barnett was not PC enough for Boulder, but Coach Mac tried the "recruiting from bad neighborhoods" approach and made it work(which seems like the opposite of what would fly in Boulder). IMO the best fit is the best guy for the job, not what is best for the town. There are too many qualifiers for the HC job here and IMO that's a big part of the problem here.

^^This^^

You hire a football coach to be a football coach. He should be a good representative of the university, but politics and personal style are irrelevant.

I'll support the notion that we should rule out drunks and cheats. But beyond that, just hire a damn football coach.

I'll support the notion that we should rule out drunks and cheats. But beyond that, just hire a damn football coach.

I don't care if we hire drunks and cheats. Or both in the same person for that matter. I just want a guy who wins football games. Drunkards and cheaters welcome to apply.

I don't care if we hire drunks and cheats. Or both in the same person for that matter. I just want a guy who wins football games. Drunkards and cheaters welcome to apply.
I also would be ok with a functioning alcoholic (I'm looking at you, Dana Holgerson).

Back