What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The SEC is doomed

I think TF was from Florida.

If you want to talk cycles we can go. It will involve desegregation, the emergence of football in Florida, and the changing of recruiting black athletes to other regions. I think we are at a new status quo until something major changes.

I´d think a conference getting a TV deal that´s better than the SEC´s qualifies as "major change" for most people.

----

As you´re talking about demographics, draft picks etc. this is a list of where the players drafted btw 2000 and 2010 played HS ball

1. California - 330
2. Texas - 280
3. Florida - 275
4. Georgia - 134
5. Ohio - 122
6. Louisiana - 106
7. Virginia - 96
8. Alabama - 83
9. South Carolina - 73
10(T). Michigan - 70
10(T). Pennsylvania - 70
12. North Carolina - 64
13. Illinois - 60
14(T). Mississippi - 56
14(T). New Jersey - 56
16. Tennessee - 47
17(T). Maryland - 45
17(T). New York - 45
19. Arizona - 35
20. Missouri - 34
21. Washington- 33
22. Oklahoma - 32
23(T). Arkansas - 27
23(T). Indiana - 27
23(T). Wisconsin - 27
26. Oregon - 26
27. Iowa - 25
28 (T).Colorado - 23
28(T). Kentucky - 23
30(T). Hawaii - 22
30(T). Minnesota - 22
32. Utah - 21
33(T). Massachusetts - 16
33(T). Nebraska - 16
35(T). Connecticut - 14
35(T). Kansas - 14
37. Idaho - 12
38(T). District of Columbia - 9
38(T) Nevada - 9
40. New Mexico - 8
41(T). Alaska - 5
41(T). Montana - 5
41(T). Wyoming - 5
44(T). Delaware - 4
44(T). South Dakota - 4
46(T). North Dakota - 3
46(T). Rhode Island - 3
46(T). West Virginia - 3
49(T). Maine - 0
49(T). New Hampshire - 0
49(T). Vermont - 0

The SEC struck first re: the 12 team, CCG $$$$, and it has been pulling in the benefits ever since. Everyone has been playing catch up since then.

Personally, I think the B1G and the Pac-12 will be catching up at some point, but the fact that they are well behind the SEC in that game signals that it will take time.

The Big 12 probably looked like it had the potential at one point to keep up, but in hindsight, the Big 12 always had weaknesses - primarily location-based - that was going to keep it from ever being like the SEC in the long run.

this whole thing is silly. the sec will do just fine when they do their next tv deal. i think the p12 is very well-positioned to improve across the board and that its prestige will exponentially improve in the next few seasons. whether the p12 surpasses the sec in power will be a debate fraught with passion and opinion, sprinkled in with a few friendly facts supporting each side of the argument. or, in other words, it will be just like the college football dialogue now--- who deserves to play in the nc game? who deserves the heisman? which team played a tougher schedule? which team got screwed on bowl selection? etc. etc. etc.

there are, however, some things that i believe that p12 will lead the sec in:

1. more average teeth per mouth.
2. less morbidly obese fans.
3. more fans with advanced degrees.
4. better weather.
5. more cosmopolitan cities for games.
6. fewer skoal users.

we could go on like this forever.

You need to listen to the experts more, Tim Tebow sucks and is no QB.

True. There are a couple of guys with the last name of "Manning" that played QB in the SEC too. I think they're OK players. Oh, and some kid named Stafford is starting in Detroit. Pretty sure he went to an SEC school. But yeah, the SEC doesn't produce any quarterbacks that are any good. It's totally a defensive conference. Just D-Linemen. That's it. Nobody else.

A little under 50% of pro players came from CA and TX. Those are our two primary recruiting foci. Good job, Buffs staff!

It's possible that the race thing has legs. Maybe not the "black people don't like the cold" part, but possibly the "A percentage of black people are more comfortable in concentrations of people who look like them" aspect of the argument.

But ultimately, I think folks (of any color) are comfortable in certain environments that are similar in some ways to the place they were raised.

For instance, I'm from Oregon but hated Purdue, and the entire midwest, so I transferred to Colorado where I was quite comfortable. I don't see most folks that grew up in the Rocky Mountain region as being particularly comfortable in the South. I know I'm not comfortable there, as I've stated before.

But that goes two ways. I don't think Southerners are always content in Boulder. We've lost football players in the past because they just weren't feeling it there. Similarly, our student population doesn't reflect a strong Southern represenation.

If we're willing to make an argument that there is a higher concentration of quality athletes in the South--many of whom are black--than say the state of Colorado, than...I think I lost my train of thought here....but you guys get what I'm trying to say.
I agree with everything you have said except that CU had alot of Southern kids when I went to school there in the late 70's, but they were all white kids from upper middle class families. I don't see how any black kid would like Boulder, there are no black kids going to school there except those on athletic teams. Boulder is very segregationist in economic terms for both black and white. The friends that I had from families that were not well off had to live in dirty crappy little rooms on the hill, and those little ratholes still cost alot in terms of rent.

Last edited:
The thing that's shocking is that Matt Cassel is now considered a better QB than Matt Leinart, the guy he was a backup to in college. And since Cassel was drafted in the 7th round, he's clearly less of a bust...

I agree with everything you have said except that CU had alot of Southern kids when I went to school there in the late 70's, but they were all white kids from upper middle class families. I don't see how any black kid would like Boulder, there are no black kids going to school there except those on athletic teams. Boulder is very segregationist in economic terms for both black and white. The friends that I had from families that were not well off had to live in dirty crappy little rooms on the hill, and those little ratholes still cost alot in terms of rent.

Have you spent much time in Boulder since Mork & Mindy was a hit show?

Boulder's expensive and the minority population skews more Asian and Hispanic than African-American, but almost all the black folks I know are solidly middle class or rich. Well, except for the ones into outdoor sports who seem to care more about having a spot to crash and a place to store their mountain bike than they do about the traditional career and family stuff. You painted a very skewed picture, 77.

Obesity%20Map%202007.gif

This is like a ****ing huskerpedia circle jerk around here, except it's the SEC and it happens on Allbuffs.

SEC graduation rates:

Vanderbilt 91%
Mississippi 69%
Florida 69%
Alabama 67%
Mississippi St. 63%
South Carolina 60%
LSU 60%
Auburn 59%
Georgia 57%
Kentucky 55%
Tennessee 52%