What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The seed has been planted...

I'm not saying I put much into the Shanny rumor, but I think there is a great chance that Bohn is putting out feelers to guys through different channels right now. If not, he is not doing his job.

If and when Bohn puts out feelers he will go thru his good buddy in Gunbarrel, Chuck Neinas, who does the middleman work. It's all done 100% on the sly and this keeps Bohn out of it and the rumors from flying, which is why this "rumor" is nothing more than someone's fantasy.

If and when Bohn puts out feelers he will go thru his good buddy in Gunbarrel, Chuck Neinas, who does the middleman work. It's all done 100% on the sly and this keeps Bohn out of it and the rumors from flying, which is why this "rumor" is nothing more than someone's fantasy.

Boo that man!

I just don't get the Shanny love here. I don't think his personality translates well to college coaching. On the up side, he could have recruits over to his palace. That might impress them. He is probably also pretty well connected to shakers and movers in Denver and might be able to shake some money out of that tree.

It's pretty simple. A coach who is successful in the NFl, is very likely to be a superior coach than your average college guy. Follow the money, talent goes where the money is.

Look at former NFL'ers in college

Successes:

Erickson at OSU and ASU
Carroll at USC
Riley, or whatever his name is, at OSU
Shula was a marginal success at AL with the probation they were on at the time

Failures:

Weis at ND
Cally at kNU

Jury still out:

Fairchild at CSU
Sherman at aTm

Common denominator? Cally and Weis are less than personable people.

Flip side? College caoches going to the league and succeeding? Can't think of one, failures a plenty though:

Petrino at ATL
Saban at MIA
Holtz at NYJ
Spurrier at WAS

IMO, a NFL'er, especially one that has had success at that level, is likely to school his college colleagues.

EDIT: forgot Al Groh at UVA. He started out big but has gone downhill.

Last edited:
I love the Allbuff rumor mill. Some folks say impossible, others say discussions are ongoing.

We should start keeping statistics of whose rumors are accurate, and whose aren't. Then we can crown the rumor champ at the end of every year :lol:

Not possible that they don't want to cough up the $$$ for Neinas this time? Or, that maybe he wants to be the one in charge this time?

I don't think (although, I am hopefull) the Shanahan thing will go either, but I hope Bohn is talking to him and others.

First, Bohn is not doing this on his own. The powers that be are very concerned with the football program and the direction it is going.

Second, it there is another major coaching hire it will not be done by Mike Bohn alone - there will be others involved in the interviewing and they will have a major say.

Third, It is Jack Vickers not Neinas - he is a big CU supporter (was involved in hiring Fairbanks from the Patriots) and a close friend of Shannahan. Vickers was used to approach Kubiak after Neuheisel quit.

Hawkins is getting dangerously close to a point of no return. A few more bad outings and neither him nor Mike Bohn will be able to stop the forces against him.

the main positive I see here if the rumor is true is that he is at least talking to possible replacements. I hope he has a well respected contact list.

First, Bohn is not doing this on his own. The powers that be are very concerned with the football program and the direction it is going.

Second, it there is another major coaching hire it will not be done by Mike Bohn alone - there will be others involved in the interviewing and they will have a major say.

Third, It is Jack Vickers not Neinas - he is a big CU supporter (was involved in hiring Fairbanks from the Patriots) and a close friend of Shannahan. Vickers was used to approach Kubiak after Neuheisel quit.

Hawkins is getting dangerously close to a point of no return. A few more bad outings and neither him nor Mike Bohn will be able to stop the forces against him.

Vickers and Shannahan are golf buddies if not good friends. Vickers inquiring with Shannahan makes a ton of sense, if nothing more to gauge his interest.

I haven't read the whole thread, but why not hire Shanny with the idea that his son eventually takes over? It might give him incentive to stay until his son is truly ready.

I haven't read the whole thread, but why not hire Shanny with the idea that his son eventually takes over? It might give him incentive to stay until his son is truly ready.

BOOOOO!!!

I'm done with coaches and their sons.

I think our program would benefit from more accusations of nepotism.

I agree Shanahan is a pipe dream and if he is always looking to leave he would be less effective.

If Shanny was committed to be a long term CU coach, he would be a dream get for the Buffs. Shanahan is a huge Colorado celeberaty, and is loved by the Bronco nation. That will rub off on CU.

Give him 4 million a year; he would be worth more than that to the Buffs. And may actually bring more money than that into the program.

1. Huge National attention to the Program.
2. He would increase the fan base a lot. (Hello Bronco fans and old Buff fans)
3. He would turn the negative Denver media into positive supporters.
4. Recruiting in the top 20 minimum
5. Great assistant coaches
6. Increase in donor money
7. Larger crowds at Folsom
8. More corporate money
9. More athletic company freebies
10. CU goes from a Boulder collage team to a state wide interest.

I am sure there are a lot more positives that I have not thought of.

Does anyone know if a coach has ever won a Super Bowl and a national championship?

I agree Shanahan is a pipe dream and if he is always looking to leave he would be less effective.

If Shanny was committed to be a long term CU coach, he would be a dream get for the Buffs. Shanahan is a huge Colorado celeberaty, and is loved by the Bronco nation. That will rub off on CU.

Give him 4 million a year; he would be worth more than that to the Buffs. And may actually bring more money than that into the program.

8. More corporate money

That was a lot of work on your part. Try not to get overly excited there sport. :lol:

Well I was definitely one of those that said no chance in hell he'd be interested. Obviously it's not fact, but I can see it maybe. Him coaching for a couple of years with his son at OC and then retiring for good or heading back to the NFL to let his son take over, like Bob Knight. Either way I hope Bohn is feeling around if he does have to get rid of Hawk after the season.

BOOOOO!!!

I'm done with coaches and their sons.

Yeah it would suck eventually have a current NFL offensive coordinator widely considered one of the rising stars in the NFL coaching ranks as the HC. Im sure his time spent in Texas at UT and the Texans wouldn't help recruiting either.
:thumbsup:

8. More corporate money

Agree on every accord....I don't think the money would be such a big issue if Shanny actually signed up, as everything on that list would lead to increased revenue

Back