What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The seed has been planted...

We need to stop with all the talk about him bringing his kid on board as an assistant. This is the same BS that is getting Hawkins in trouble right now, and we don't need more of it. Shanny can get plenty of great assistants (so long as he leaves Rick Dennison right where he is). He doesn't need his son coaching with him. Bad idea.

10. CU goes from a Boulder collage team to a state wide interest.

I am sure there are a lot more positives that I have not thought of.

With all the offensive schemes we've tried, CU has definitely been a collage team.

Agree on every accord....I don't think the money would be such a big issue if Shanny actually signed up, as everything on that list would lead to increased revenue

Collage football is all about money, and Shannys upside is huge. But CU is not known for taking big chances.

I don't think Shanahan is done with the NFL so this is a for not.

Not so fast, my friends!

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/4493/dont-expect-shanahan-to-redskins-talk-to-die

ESPN.com has an article that talks about Shanny wanting to coach PRO football next year, and the way the Redskins are playing, he'll prob get a shot with them...doesn't bode well for our Buffs...

That doesn't necessarily contradict what the OP said, though. The whole point of the thread is that Shanny was approached with the idea, and he said he'd consider it. That doesn't change the fact that he'd probably prefer to be in the NFL, but it does mean that A) Bohn (or more likely somebody working on his behalf) is putting feelers out there and B) that Shanny didn't completely shut down the idea.

We need to stop with all the talk about him bringing his kid on board as an assistant. This is the same BS that is getting Hawkins in trouble right now, and we don't need more of it. Shanny can get plenty of great assistants (so long as he leaves Rick Dennison right where he is). He doesn't need his son coaching with him. Bad idea.

I really don't see how they are similar situations at all. One would be a coach and the other is the QB.

Yeah. It's definitely a good sign that the school is beginning to prepare for life after Hawkins. It's also a good sign that they're out fishing for the big ones. The lowered expectations thing is getting old.

Why, what position will Shanny's son want to play that you are worried about?

I really don't see how they are similar situations at all. One would be a coach and the other is the QB.

You honestly don't see how they're similar situations? What happens if the offense under Kyle starts to suck? What happens if certain plays are called that we don't agree with? What happens if Kyle loses a couple of recruiting battles? What happens if the wrong players are getting playing time?

Are you starting to see the similarities yet?

I want Shanny....he knows how to manage and organize...he knows how to game plan...we sorely need that. He's not worried about the "little things"...he worried about the big things.

You honestly don't see how they're similar situations? What happens if the offense under Kyle starts to suck? What happens if certain plays are called that we don't agree with? What happens if Kyle loses a couple of recruiting battles? What happens if the wrong players are getting playing time?

Only if Kyle starts throwing five yard curls...

This tread is great, the debate has gone from if Shanahan would take the job to fighting over who Shanny should hire for Assistant coaches.

Really, the only thing that would make me happier than this little fantasy of Shanny coaching the Buffs would be if Mac became AD.

Only if Kyle starts throwing five yard curls...

What if he starts calling five yard curls? Will Mike have the balls to fire him? Assistant coaches are, in many cases, buffers between the players and the head coach. Guys that the players feel they can confide in without the head coach finding out. How effective would Kyle Shanahan be in that role?

Ridiculously horrible idea.

I agree Shanahan is a pipe dream and if he is always looking to leave he would be less effective.

If Shanny was committed to be a long term CU coach, he would be a dream get for the Buffs. Shanahan is a huge Colorado celeberaty, and is loved by the Bronco nation. That will rub off on CU.

Give him 4 million a year; he would be worth more than that to the Buffs. And may actually bring more money than that into the program.

1. Huge National attention to the Program.
2. He would increase the fan base a lot. (Hello Bronco fans and old Buff fans)
3. He would turn the negative Denver media into positive supporters.
4. Recruiting in the top 20 minimum
5. Great assistant coaches
6. Increase in donor money
7. Larger crowds at Folsom
8. More corporate money
9. More athletic company freebies
10. CU goes from a Boulder collage team to a state wide interest.

I am sure there are a lot more positives that I have not thought of.

11. Shanny would win 3 MNCs and have the field named after him.
12. He'll raise so much interest after 3 straight yrs of sellouts we'll have to expand the stadium to 90,000 by knocking down Balsh field house, buidling two tiers, closing the U, and have an underground network of state of the art facilities that rival Taxa$$.
13. after coaching 2 Heisman QBs, they'll rename the Coach of the Year Award to the Shanahan award.

OK OK OK... I'm not going to debate whether this is true or not, for I simply don't know. Logically, it seems like a longshot. But at the same time, there are plenty of reasons why it would make sense. I'm a Bronco and a Buff fan, so I'd LOVE it, but I'm going to try and forget about this as soon as I post my comments, as I'd want this as options 1,2,3,4 and on as replacements for Hawk.

Let's all step back and consider the positives. The ones I can think of sitting here, at least.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
As mentioned already in this thread, Boulder is in the Denver area and he wouldn't have to pick up sticks and uproot his entire life. It might be a little bit of a commute, but that might be the case at most any NFL city he might go to as a coach anyway. There's a lot to be said for familiarity, and Shanny has had right about 20 years living on the Front Range between his runs as a Denver assistant and then as HC. He was born in Illinois and if he has more of a connection to a place aside from Denver/Front Range, I can't find it. He could run a prestigious Div. I college football program and not have to move to do it.

PREVIOUS CONSIDERATIONS
He came pretty close to taking the Florida gig, until Bowlen came in and dubbed him coach for life. Oops. So, we know that, likely, the biggest thing keeping him from jumping into college was the fact he was a made man with the Broncos. With that loyalty out of the way, and with Meyer solid in Florida, if Shanny is still open to a college job, why not CU? It's close, in a great conference and has the name and facilities to win big in a short time. He could immediately become god of Colorado again and take attention away from the Broncos in the process. I have no doubt he still loves the Broncos and Bowlen, but maaaaaybe he wants a little revenge on them. What better way to do that than with the biggest college team in this market?

BOSS/GM/COACH COMBO
We all know Mike likes the prospect of having all the power. At CU, he could be the head coach/GM/boss all at once. In college, GM duties essentially water down to recruiting, so he could target who he wants and get them here. Kids these days might not remember seeing the Super Bowl wins, but they'll know that this guy knows how to win at the pro level. How could quarterbacks or running backs say no to this guy? Heck, even OLs? While he might not care for hitting the road to recruit, that's okay. Bring in top assistants with great people skills and have them deliver the message that if you come to Boulder for a visit, you'll get to meet Mike. I understand he'd be needed to make home visits at times, but I think that setup could work for him here.

EASY TURNAROUND
It might not seem like it now, but CU isn't that far from getting back on track. I know things have suffered a bit under Hawk, but he has recruited well enough, it's just the coaching that has been abysmal. So bring in a coach worth a damn -- look what it did at Oklahoma, where Bob Stoops won a national title with JOHN BLAKE'S players. Think about what a horrible coach he was. Much worse than Hawk. But he could recruit, like Hawk. And in the North, it's all pretty much a crapshoot. Yes, NU is better and Mizzou and KU have been downright dominant the past few years, but that won't last IMO. CU should always be in the North mix and Shanny will be able to get the Buffs to that point in his first season. He might not win the division that year, but the framework would be set.

OFFER HIM THE KINGDOM AND HOPE HE STAYS AROUND
The thought of only having a coach for two years bugs me, too. But I think there's a way to get around that. If he is open to only doing this for two years, then DO IT. This isn't an ordinary coach. This is a man in Shanahan who can totally overhaul the entire program just by being connected to it. He can immediately come in, clean house and set things up his way. I know it's counter-intuitive to make a move like this, but the risk is worth the reward. The hope would be is that if he succeeded immediately and everything clicked, he'd WANT to stay longer and Shanny, Bohn and CU could work out a 5-6 year extention. IF that happened, you'd be looking at Shanny coaching at CU through the 2017 season. He'd only be 66 at that point, a young 66 when you compare him with others that age. And, if he stuck with the two-year thing, make sure he and CU hires a capable, young, dynamic coach to take over for him and be groomed along the way. If we're going to have to ditch Hawk and bring in a new coach anyway, might as well do that. At least, under that scenario, you would have had Shanny as the face of the program for two seasons and connection to the school after that.

RECLAIMING STATUS
After John Elway, Shanny is arguably the biggest sports name in the history of the state. But the past few seasons -- and his firing -- tarnished his image a bit. There's no real way for him to reclamate that image within the state unless he took the CU job. Doing that would give him the ability to turn around a down CU program, win big and possibly put him in rare air if he were to take CU to some BCS games or win a national title. Coaches don't win both often, so that would be a unique line to have on your resume.

A NEW CHALLENGE
You've conquered the NFL -- twice! Why go back? Why not try to win titles in college? It's really not a step down anymore, as D-I football is basically semi-pro at this point anyway. NO ONE would think of it as a huge backward step to stay at home and coach the local U. Plus, the hours are better and you have TOTAL control over things. Don't think for a minute that wouldn't intice him.

INSTANT RELEVANCE
Want to bury positive press CSU gets from Fairchild? Want to make people forget about the 3-0 Denver start with McKid? MAKE THIS HIRE! Picking Shanny would instantly make CU a huge topic on the sports stations and in the news. They would be seen as a quasi-pro team because of his presence. I believe season ticket sales would soar because of Denver fans wanting to see their legend coach again, which would expose a whole new group of people to becoming a part of our fan base. The pure excitement around the program from this move would be so strong and immediate it would be amazing.

I think I had some more ideas, but I've lost track. This should do for now and I reserve the right to made additions. :) Anyway, in closing, I fully realize this is a longshot at best and likely won't happen. HOWEVER, it's not impossible and I see enough positives for Shanahan to at least think about it. This would be a totally different challenge for him and champions tend to like odd challenges. We'll see.

My post was under the assumption that Shanahan would leave after two years and that Kyle would be suitable replacement. It would give Shanny extra incentive to take the job knowing he is giving his son a leg up. Your concerns would be the same with any coordinator. If by some chance we could land Shanny do you think he would fire the OC after the first year regardsless who it is?

The DC on the other hand........:lol:

Back