1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The situation at Safety

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Jens1893, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Going by the roster on the CU website, we right now have 3 Seniors (Dykes, Walters, Adams), one Soph (Smith) and 3 RFr. (with two being walk-ons)

I obviously don´t know if the coaching staff is planning on using some of the guys we brought in in this class at Safety, but I am a little worried about the position for 2009 because there really doesn´t seem to be much there.

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

my solution is for our safeties to not get hurt this year and for us to recruit some badasses this year.

See? Easy!

3. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Don't sleep on Anthony Perkins. He's a good one imo.

4. Keesy9

Keesy9 New Member

Agreed, but two safetys play and were missing one.

5. Sexton Hardcastle

Nah. Mahnke is the real deal. I hear he's been doing a great job. A Perkins like i mentioned had a good spring. I know they have Anthony Wright at CB but i wouldn't be suprised if they moved him back to S. Is that enough for you?

6. Keesy9

Keesy9 New Member

I hope so. A lot of people I know that played football in CO (including CU players) were surprised we offered to Mahnke. I hope your right.

7. Sexton Hardcastle

I wouldn't be too suprised if they went ahead and moved Nate Vaiomounga to safety. I doubt he'll see much time at LB.

Edit: Nate is listed as a Rover on Rivals. So he is another DB when he's on the field.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  8. Sexton Hardcastle

It's a good thing CU players aren't in charge of recruiting huh? :smile2:
    I've heard a ton of good things about mahnke from scouts and players.

9. Keesy9

Keesy9 New Member

Yea I have been wondering why Nate plays LB considering how deep we are and scout listed him as running a 4.53 40. He reminds me size and hair wise of Troy Polamalu. The same people also declared Jon Major a "bit*h" so yes they are biased against players they played in HS.

10. Sexton Hardcastle

That's funny! If he sucked then they wouldn'tve remembered him right?:lol: I love the competitiveness of these guys. It brings their game up.

11. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I'm more worried about the conerbacks

12. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I just watched the spring game. The cornerbacks did great and really shut down the WR's for most of the game. Chapelle brown even stuck with JFly on a go route quite well. These guys are young but they do seem to have the wheels.

13. Sexton Hardcastle

I agree. Burney being out all year is a huge blow to the CB's. At least with the S position we still have a leader in Ryan Walters. CB is a definite worry right now.

14. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

During spring practices, the staff was using him as hybrid rush end/Blitzing LB. He will slide into a similar role as Brad Jones but will bring more speed and he hits like a Mack truck. He put one of the guards square on his ass in on-on-one drills this spring. It happened right in front of me and I still couldn't believe it. He almost caused a fight with that hit. I wish I could remember who the Guard was at the time.

15. Keesy9

Keesy9 New Member

I'v heard from lineman on our team that Nate is "strong as sh*t". Rivals also has him listed as doing 21 reps of 185 at his combine(Ryan Miller did 18).