1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'Spirit Bell" - New Buff Tradition Starts Today

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Sep 6, 2008.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=1575860

BOULDER — Last season, University of Colorado head football coach Dan Hawkins instituted the Buffalo Roundup, where the team is dropped off in front of Libby Hall, walks through the Folsom Field plaza and by the bronze buffalo, and then into the stadium through a tunnel comprised of fans, cheerleaders and the Golden Buffalo Marching Band.

Fairly well attended, it was still missing that certain something. And this year, thanks to long-time CU supporter Barb Roberts Quinlan, that certain something is a massive bell she donated to the university in memory of her late husband, Dwight Roberts, who in the 1970s became the first president of the CU Foundation.

Dubbed the “Spirit Bell,” it will be rung twice on game days at Folsom. The first will be 10 minutes prior to the team’s arrival on Colorado Avenue to alert the fans to gather to welcome the team; this will take place about two-and-a-half hours prior to kickoff. The second will be 10 minutes before Ralphie is set to run inside the stadium to let people know it’s time to enter the gates to see one of college football’s unique spectacles.

The new tradition will begin Saturday, when Colorado plays host to Eastern Washington in a 1:30 p.m. at Folsom Field.

2. NBDefektor

NBDefektor Well-Known Member

hmm...sounds very SEC-ish.

3. str8jacket

str8jacket Member

I sure as hell didn't hear it before the game.

4. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Let's retire it now...

5. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

6. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I heard it from outside the stadium. But, the Buffalo walk turnout was TERRIBLE

7. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

i can do somethig about that for the texas matchup.

8. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

I heard of severla people who went at about 11:05, as Bohn had said it would be at 11:10, and it was already over. I am sure that that did not help the turnout if they went early.

9. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Can it, we don't need hokey new traditions. Boulder is Boulder and any bells or walks, strolls, whatever are not needed. We are what we are, we don't need to copy the SEC, Big 10 (11) or god forbid unl. Leave us alone to our tradition of non-tradition.