What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The staff

HC - Jon Embree
OC - Eric Bieniemy

The next most important hire is for DC.

Brian Cabral or Greg Brown?

Does it really have to be between those two guys? I know Buffs fans love them both, but there are better, more experienced candidates out there if we take a little time to look outside the CU family.

Does it really have to be between those two guys? I know Buffs fans love them both, but there are better, more experienced candidates out there if we take a little time to look outside the CU family.

Suggestions?

Those are the two most often mentioned in connection with the opening. Does anyone hear any other "scoop". Not trying to stir up conjecture, just get a realistic opinion about our choices.

I didn't play division 1 football, but I can tell you that when I played college athletics that the background of the coach mattered FAR less to me than what the school I played at was offering and who they had on the team. You can't on one hand talk about how CU is one of the top 20 winningest programs in the history of football, has won a national championship (Something that only USC will be able to claim in the PAC-12, barring someone giving Cal weird press NCs in the 20s/30s), and has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country and then say that Logan will be hamstrung because he coached HS not college. "Oh sorry I never coached college football, I only played in the NFL for 9 years and won multiple high school championships, as well as am the announcer for the Denver Broncos, and have tons of connections in the NFL"
You're an idiot. First, Mullen is whole different ball field than DPS football. Second, you're an idiot.

Update on the Bobby Kennedy front...
So orangebloods.com broke a story yesterday that has the two sports talk radio stations in a cat fight with each other down here, but that's not what's important right now (just funny)

Anyway, although it's not officially OFFICIAL (this is playing out like Mac breaking the news about Embree earlier than the AD may have wanted) along with Greg Davis (OC) not coming back next year UT is not expected to retain Mac McWhorter (OL,) Mike Tollefson (longtime DL coach - actually may be truly retiring) and wait for it....

Bobby Kennedy - WR coach and recruiting coordinator - although not mentioning Embree and the Buffs this time, Hogan and Chip Brown did say he might have the softest landing of all of them.

Looks like it's getting closer for Kennedy to be a Buff! Hopefully that gets announced during the presser today. That'[s it for news from Austin, have a good day, Y'ALL!

I thought it was interesting that Embo mentioned that we'd be excited about the staff and that there would be former head coaches on it. Anyone know who he is referring to? Brewster?

What do you think we will do with Eric Kiesau considering he is still under contract. Kyle Ringo has a few suggestions here.

"Kiesau's future is uncertain, while there is no doubt Bieniemy will serve as offensive coordinator going forward, there is some doubt about what role, if any, former offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau will play in the future.

Kiesau, who has worked as offensive coordinator the past two years and served as wide receivers coach the three previous seasons, is under contract through next season and would have to be bought out of the final year of his deal before the school can finalize Bieniemy's contract. Colorado state institutions are allowed a maximum of six multi-year deals at one time.

Embree is supposed to name his coaching staff in the coming days and it's possible Kiesau could remain with CU as quarterbacks coach under Bieniemy. It's also possible that Kiesau just remains with the program through the recruiting season before agreeing to a separation agreement in February or March that would allow him to work elsewhere next season."

What are your all thoughts on the Kiseau issue?

What do you think we will do with Eric Kiesau considering he is still under contract. Kyle Ringo has a few suggestions here.

"Kiesau's future is uncertain, while there is no doubt Bieniemy will serve as offensive coordinator going forward, there is some doubt about what role, if any, former offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau will play in the future.

Kiesau, who has worked as offensive coordinator the past two years and served as wide receivers coach the three previous seasons, is under contract through next season and would have to be bought out of the final year of his deal before the school can finalize Bieniemy's contract. Colorado state institutions are allowed a maximum of six multi-year deals at one time.

Embree is supposed to name his coaching staff in the coming days and it's possible Kiesau could remain with CU as quarterbacks coach under Bieniemy. It's also possible that Kiesau just remains with the program through the recruiting season before agreeing to a separation agreement in February or March that would allow him to work elsewhere next season."

What are your all thoughts on the Kiseau issue?

Bye keisau is my issue..

Two questions regarding staff - I heard a tail end of a conversation between Embree and Al (maybe it was CJ) where Kanavis McGhee's name was mentioned. Is he being brought to coach dl? I was hoping Ambrose would be kept, because I think even with us in the Pac, I think he would've recruited well in Houston & LA, which I'm assuming becomes Kanavis' area.

The other question I have is regarding Jashon Sykes. Does anybody know if he'll become a position coach or will he remain in operations?

Jayson will be "Director of Football Operations," I think. Embro wants Kanavis on the staff. And so it shall be.

Yeah I don't get the love for Greg Brown or Cabral as DC. How about getting someone that's had some success from another program in here.

Yeah I don't get the love for Greg Brown or Cabral as DC. How about getting someone that's had some success from another program in here.
I agree, we need a defense that can stop teams from scoring 20+ every game. I know in this day and age with the spread, teams are going to get yds and points but CU hasn't had a decent defense since 96.

Exactly.. Good bye Kiesau. He was a Hawk hire. Time to move away from the Hawk staff.

Bring in Walt Harris. We need someone who can develop and recruit QB's.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I hope the retain Ambrose. He seemed to have a great deal of promise to me.

Count me in. 13 years of nfl experience, establishing recruiting in-roads in the southeast, and seems to be liked by the players. He did okay this year considering it was a revolving door for safeties and nicklebacks. I'd like to see the new hc keep Ambrose.

Aside from Greg Brown is there anybody linked as a possibility for DC on the staff?

I'm not "promoting" Brown as our next DC, just trying to figure out who the guy is going to be.

With that said:

Brown certainly has the resume, 1 year experience in the Pac-12 (game planning, scouting, and recruiting); so he has that going for him. He is "in-the-family", and has worked with guys like Cabral and Ambrose in the past. Word was that he was calling the defensive game the second half of 2009, when the D looked its best.

I can't find any "D" guys with links to Embree/Bieniemy that are available to us. Anybody have any "inside info" on those coaching lists presented during their interviews?

Very valid point ScottyBuff. He has seen the Pac-12 offense. And he has CU ties. That could play a HUGE factor. We will see though.

Jayson will be "Director of Football Operations," I think. Embro wants Kanavis on the staff. And so it shall be.

Jayshon is a nice guy, but he is not organized enough to be Director of Football Operations. FACT. That and six bucks will buy you a burrito.

Back