1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The very first 2009 preseason poll (ESPN) .....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by MontanaBuff, Jan 9, 2009.

1. MontanaBuff

MontanaBuff Club Member Club Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3818270

Not surprisingly, Florida is #1, followed by Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Alabama.

The rest of the Big 12:
    Oklahoma State makes a surprising appearance at #10; with Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas Tech coming in at 22nd, 23rd, and 25th respectively.

[Please note - under the thread "Cornholers vs. Tiggerpaws", posted at 3:02 p.m. on New Year's Day, just after the Corn escaped with its win over Clemson, you will find the following quote:
    "Nebraska - preseason ranking 22 - book it"]

I'm just sayin' ..... :smile2:

92Buff likes this.
  2. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I'm thinking SC, Florida or Texas next year

3. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

OU is ranked way too high, as is Bama (their big year is coming in 2010 IMO). Texas has a good shot at winning a 2nd national title under Brown.

4. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Buffs all the way you f'ing commies! :sad2:

5. 87toInfinity

87toInfinity Well-Known Member

This. Buffs: 14-0

6. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

I'm a ****ing commie and I say Buffs all the way. **** you.

7. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I guess the mother ****er didn't hear Hawk guarantee 10 wins!

8. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

Hells yeah!! Maybe, he needs to say it again in another rant?!

10 wins is at least a top 10 rank in the Big XII.

9. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Texas? They lose both wr's and some key defensive starters.

I say it's okie state with a suprise vs cu, that's right CU.

Hawk guaranteed 10 wins.

10. edhookem

edhookem Member

We lose one key reciever..Cosby. Shipley is back...we do lose 3 Defensive Linemen but we had a good rotation this year on the D-Line and have some talent there.

The thought going into this year was that 2009 would be the year we would be good not 2008. It will be fun to watch...Texas should roll out a solid team...

On offense we return every O Lineman and McCoy, Shipley, Malcom Williams, Brandon Collins, Kirkendoll....Loaded! Will be interesting to see the RB situation again...Fozzy Whitaker returns as does Cody Johnson.

On Defense we lose Orakpo, Miller and Melton...Key returners the entire secondary, Sergio Kindle, Muckleroy and Norton (maybe the best linebacking crew in the nation next year)

Hook em!

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

The fact Kindle is coming back is huge. That guy could very well be the DPOY for the conference when it is all said and done.

12. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

Is ESPN that bored that they have to come out with rankings already?? Holy $hit!

Obsessed!

13. edhookem

edhookem Member

no kidding

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  14. Mr. Babar

Mr. Babar I have no elephant books Club Member

ESPN is notorious for putting out bogus preseason rankings. Everything they know is surface level BS (i.e. we know the QB's name, so they'll be good). ESPN proves time and time again with it's football "analysis" that they can't tell their a$$ from third base.

15. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

Isn't Shipley a 34th year senior? How does that dude still have any eligibility?

16. Buffsfan09

Buffsfan09 Member

Yup...if Bradford transfers to CU...we will win 10 games though...Hawk said so!

17. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Only 4 CU opponents on that list, and no OOC opponents. When is the last time CU didn't play any ranked teams OOC??? :huh:

18. MontanaBuff

That would be 2007. CSU, Arizona State, Florida State, and Miami (Ohio) were all unranked - at least when the Buffs played them.

The other times in the past ten years CU has played no ranked opponents OOC (not counting bowls) - 1999 and 2004.

Now, ask the same question about Nebraska ......:wink2:

19. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Montana, how has nebraska's OOC schedule looked in the last decade? What years have they failed to play any ranked OOC opponents?

20. MontanaBuff

Nebraska has been a bit better of late (home-and-home with Virginia Tech in '08 and '09; home-and-home with USC in '06 and '07), but the legacy is hard to ignore.

I'll defer to CU stat guru Dave Plati. Since 1990, the Buffs have played 28 ranked non-conference opponents (excluding bowls). Texas is 2nd in the Big 12 with 23; Nebraska and Oklahoma are well behind in 3rd with 14. The other four members of the Big 12 North all have had ten games or less against ranked OOC opponents in the past 20 seasons.

[Nebraska is getting back to its old habits. They play at Virginia Tech next season, but in 2010, in a schedule announced after Pelini was hired, the Cornhuskers play Washington, South Dakota State, Western Kentucky, and Idaho. :rolleyes: Compare CU's 2010 OOC opponents - all bowl participants in '08.]

Hope you had a great birthday, Walrus! :thumbsup:

Go Buffs!

21. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Thanks Montana. And just a reminder, even in the cold temperatures you can convince a trout to hit a fly if it's big and colorful enough. Go deep and use the clear water to your advantage. Now get out there on the Gallatin!

Go Buffs.

22. Bama Charlie

Bama Charlie Well-Known Member

Bama is ranked too high. The defense will be good but the offense will replace our best three lineman, a qb, and a rb.

23. edhookem

edhookem Member

6th year...one year blew out his knee and the next tore his hamstring. He has 2 very bad luck years in the beginning...he was granted another year in December by the NCAA.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  24. BIGREDIOWAN

BIGREDIOWAN Well-Known Member

I may have to disagree with you on this point. I'm pretty sure that schedule was already decided last season or even before that as they are working on the schedule for something like 2015. Pelini has said numerous times he wants to get away from Stevie Pedersen's weak scheduling and play harder teams. We can't cancel games we already have scheduled as it is my understanding we have contracts with these teams?