1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by dio, Jun 2, 2015.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Great game so far. I'm about 6 hours in after purchasing it last Thursday, and enjoying it immensely. I couldn't get into Witcher 1, played a ton of Witcher 2, and enjoying Witcher 3 immensely.

A few things I like:

Combat is actually dangerous. Even run of the mill enemies can rip you up if you aren't paying attention

Crafting/Gold - Gold is actually hard to come by and easy to spend. Almost every item can either be broken down into crafting components. so you have to make decisions about whether it is better to get a few gold for your stuff, or get materials.

Potions and item use. I usually ignore potions in games because they are a PITA to manage. This game lets you brew a potion once, and then it automatically regenerates in your inventory after you rest. Takes some of the micromanagement out of potion use, and allows you to use potions without feeling like you need to hard them for a special occasion.

Crafting diversity. I'm only level 6, but there is a crap-ton of stuff to make

Slow leveling. I'm at Level 6 after quite awhile playing. The levelcap is 70. I like a slow burn of levels

Character development. Skills are interchangeable whenever you want. Basically you have 4 or 5 categories that contain a total of something like 100 different skills in various categories. Each of those skills can be allocated ability points up to 5 times to increase their power. Those skills are then assigned to your character, but can be amplified by using these things called mutagens, which are found while killing monsters. Lots of flexibility, but enough options that make it feel like leveling is still important

Graphics. I was going to get this on the PC, but I was worried about the specs. I got it on the Xbox One, and it looks great. Forests feel like forests. Weather comes and goes.

World size. Supposedly the game is 20% bigger than Skyrim. I've only cleared one area, but it does seem huge. I'm hopeful it will have a wide diversity of cities, ecosystems, and the like

Things I don't like

Movement feels a little off. It can be a PITA to loot stuff from time to time because your positioning doesn't register quite right

Magic (signs) - These are carryovers from the previous games. Basically you have 6 (?) spells you can cast. They all feel kind of weak

Armor visuals. The Level 1 armor looks the best so far, but the more powerful armor is not that appealing.

Only one character. I understand that the use of a single, known character 'Geralt' is necessary for this game, but I do prefer the option of picking between a number of characters and classes and kind of building from scratch

Anyway, developers claim the game as 200 hours of content, and the main storyline will take 60 hours to complete. I doubt I actually finish the game, but it is really quite fun and is a great RPG for those of you looking for one on your new consoles.

TDforTD likes this.
  2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Thanks. Sounds like too much for me... I don't have the time to ****ing crafting games anymore. Hell, I'm struggling with bloodborne, and all that is is killing **** :lol:

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I really wanted to play Bloodborne, but alas, no PS4.

I hear you on the time. I barely have time to play this one, which sucks. So far, I like it better than Dragon Age however. Combat is more satisfying

4. stretch

stretch Club Member Club Member

I agree with a lot of what you have said. Another thing I love about this game is Gwent.

Gwent is a card collecting/battling game within the Witcher and it is awesome! You collect cards throughout the game if you please and then come across players in various cities. The battles are very fun and the interconnection of the cards leaves you constantly wanting to collect more and try out a different type of deck.

This game within a game has become so popular, they just announced a standalone Gwent game is going to be released, and I can't wait. At some point while playing, I got completely distracted from the main story and just got absorbed into Gwent, trying to become the best player I could. Oh and by the way, there is also an amazingly deep RPG surrounding this card game.

TDforTD likes this.