1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things Could Be Worse

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffNut99, Nov 1, 2010.

1. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

We could be Notre Dame and (on field results aside) our new coach hire could be looking at being criminally negligent:

2. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Well, you know how Notre Dame fans like to say, "Notre Dame football isn't a matter of life and death: It's much more important than that"? Maybe they should stop now.

3. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

Kelly went to the Barny school of PR

4. The Guest

The Guest Guest

"How was he as a camera man? Awful, just awful..."

5. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

It is a sad story. I feel for the family. Although I detest ND and in particular their FB team, I have some sympathy for the PR skewering they are about to get. BK will be the sacrifical lamb....he's also about the right size for it too..

6. BuffNut99

Is it possible that BK gets fired in the offseason? I wonder what his contract says about behavior like this. How are they letting him even speak publicly about it, expect to express his condolences?

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

My guess is it depends on how bad it gets. If the family of the deceased student goes on the warpath, BK could be canned. I would be surprised if his contract had a "What happens if you kill a student employee clause..." but I am sure that BK's actions that brought the University in on the downside of wrongful death litigation probably fits in some legal pigeonhole constituting firing for cause.

If the family and the University reach some quick, quiet, confidential settlement, maybe BK still gets to be the leprechaun.

8. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

I can't stand ND, but this is just horrible. And having the HC say anything other than condolences and expressing sadness is a good way to make this spiral into a nightmare.

Lefty has it nailed though, a lot will depend on this kid's family and how they proceed.

9. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Putting myself in the shoes of the parents, the last couple tweets from the kid would be enough for me to sue the living pants of that university.

10. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

I expect a settlement will come quickly. No matter how much it is, it will be less than the PR drubbing ND would take over the course of litigation.

I feel for this kid and his family. Easily could have been me in college. At the same time, football was probably all-consuming for Kelly that day and, had he actually thought about the circumstances, things may have been much different. He is ultimately at fault, but it's just a rough situation.

11. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I agree. It's hard to put too much blame on Kelly, as I'm sure that was the very last thing on his mind at the time. Still, it happened on his watch.

12. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

It sounds like that settlement may have already taken place, or is at least in the works:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20101031/News01/101039939/0/NotreDame

13. BuffNut99

That statement tells me that the lawyers haven't gotten their teeth into it yet

14. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Or ND offered a ton of dough and the parents already took it. My money is on the latter.

15. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

It is truly regrettable that tragedies like this happen, and I in no way am making light of it, but this line from Lefty just cracked me up!! :rolling_eyes:

16. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

I admire him for what sounds to me like he is publicly taking the blame for it too. What a terrible situation to be in. I'm not sure that ND will fire him for it but at the same time the question remains as to wether he can bounce back from this and put it behind him.

Thoughts and prayers for the family in their loss.