What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This hurts

I personally wanted us to go for it on 4th and 2 at the end of regulation. UCLA's D was tired and wasn't stopping us. Also we had basically the entire playbook available during the 1st OT but kept running RB screens. Take a shot at the end zone or something over the middle. Go for the win... but we went super conservative
Agreed on all counts here. It would be a lot easier for me to accept the loss, knowing that we took our shot at beating a top-25 conference foe. Instead, the staff basically hoped they would beat themselves and hand us the game.

I personally wanted us to go for it on 4th and 2 at the end of regulation. UCLA's D was tired and wasn't stopping us. Also we had basically the entire playbook available during the 1st OT but kept running RB screens. Take a shot at the end zone or something over the middle. Go for the win... but we went super conservative

Agreed on all counts here. It would be a lot easier for me to accept the loss, knowing that we took our shot at beating a top-25 conference foe. Instead, the staff basically hoped they would beat themselves and hand us the game.
So, when Mora went for it on 4th down instead of settling for a FG and a 6 point lead, you guys thought that was a great coaching decision? If they'd lost the game, I wonder what UCLA fan would be saying today?

John Fox is "risk averse." Many coaches are "risk averse." Managing just about anything is managing risk. They are only "risk averse" when a play doesn't work. Second guessing after the fact is so damned easy. If we could get do overs every time, we'd all be great coaches.
There's no second-guessing after the fact here. I disagreed as the plays were called, and that hasn't changed. For the record, I wasn't a fan of relying on the zone-read to move the ball on our final drive in regulation, although we did get some nice chunks of yardage that way.

You can't be serious?

The shell of an offense we ran on three straight possessions at the end of regulation and OT? Which is made worse by the fact we food the same thing against Cal in OT. There was no reason not to take a shot at the end zone at some point. The defensive scheme is vanilla. And it's not just on-field coaching. From the staff composition to recruiting to play-calling, it's very apparent this is a risk-adverse staff. I can't think of a single example of a time where HCMM and company made a decision that I viewed as truly innovative or as an aggressive, risky decision. I'm not sure why you would even argue this point. Actually, yeah, I do know why...
Seems a lot of people were bitching about MacIntyre being too agressive against CSU. We ran deep routes to the endzone in OT, but no one was open. HCMM isn't the most agressive, but that's not the reason we lost or have lost any games this year. lots of hindsight is 20/20 here.

That game was great. The team fought through lots of stupid young mistakes, the fans got more and more into it as time went on, the refs were just bad enough for us to blame a few things on them but not the loss. I am emotionally exhausted and thoroughly hungover.

It it does hurt, but it feels great to be feeling something. These Buffs are coming and I'm pumped to go watch them next week.

Rep sent. It is good to be feeling something when it comes to CU football. It has been a long time.

So, when Mora went for it on 4th down instead of settling for a FG and a 6 point lead, you guys thought that was a great coaching decision? If they'd lost the game, I wonder what UCLA fan would be saying today?

Same kind of decision cost USC its game at Utah last night. They were up 4 in FG range and went for it on 4th down. Runner came up short and Utah marched down the field to win.

When you're an underdog looking for that breakthrough win, you need to take your chance to get that. How many realistic opportunities will we get to brat a top-25 opponent this year, particularly one who just happens to sit in the middle of our primary recruiting grounds? And yes, I appreciate a coach with a killer instinct.

Seems a lot of people were bitching about MacIntyre being too agressive against CSU. We ran deep routes to the endzone in OT, but no one was open. HCMM isn't the most agressive, but that's not the reason we lost or have lost any games this year. lots of hindsight is 20/20 here.
It's a double-edged sword. We need to control the ball and run clock to stay in games, but once we have a chance to come up with a win at the end of the game, we have to be willing to take those opportunities.

The play I craved was to line up for the field goal in the first overtime, and have a preconceived fake to go for the win. More likely a road game play, but absolutely nobody would have looked for it. Yes it may have failed, but who would blame these guys for boot stomping the door down for a win.

Sometimes audacity is a good thing. Frankly three or 4 situations were ripe for trickeration yesterday. Not in the playing deck apparently.

The play I craved was to line up for the field goal in the first overtime, and have a preconceived fake to go for the win. More likely a road game play, but absolutely nobody would have looked for it. Yes it may have failed, but who would blame these guys for boot stomping the door down for a win.

Sometimes audacity is a good thing. Frankly three or 4 situations were ripe for trickeration yesterday. Not in the playing deck apparently.

I'd say this. The Buffs had outscored UCLA 17-0 in the 4th quarter and we were playing at home. Our coaches had every reason to feel like we were in control of that game and would come out on top if we could just extend it.

Maybe that thinking should have changed after Tedric (who had been our spy on Hundley) went down. But the defense did hold UCLA to a FG attempt right after that.

It's just so damn frustrating. Buffs were in position at the end of regulation and couldn't make a play. Buffs were in position to win in OT1 and didn't make a play. Buffs were 2nd and 3 in OT2 and got stoned the next 2 plays. That game was there for the taking and the Buffs couldn't make a play.

Absolutely, the first and best possible solution would be to score or advance the ball on the first three downs.

I just wanted a shot at "shock" to bust the door down. Well..... one way or another let's hope staff and team can find an avenue...... We really need to win this year for Obvious reasons. Hopefully the Huskies are it for starters.

There was a perfectly executed fade route in the corner of the end zone against USC. It was frustrating to not see that play in OT yesterday.

Cal and UCLA OT play calling efforts were way too similar. Seems like there was a missed opportunity to apply some key learning from Berkeley.

There was a perfectly executed fade route in the corner of the end zone against USC. It was frustrating to not see that play in OT yesterday.

Cal and UCLA OT play calling efforts were way too similar. Seems like there was a missed opportunity to apply some key learning from Berkeley.

I don't think we saw even 1 attempt to go over the top yesterday.

I don't think we saw even 1 attempt to go over the top yesterday.

It comes off as a lack in trust of our players to execute.

Playing not to lose is much different than playing to win.
There are a dozen or so receivers who have caught a pass on the team. This team's #1 playmaker is Nelson Spruce. To scheme away from the very passing game that is our offensive identity is strange.

Same kind of decision cost USC its game at Utah last night. They were up 4 in FG range and went for it on 4th down. Runner came up short and Utah marched down the field to win.

The difference between a team that knows how to win (Utah) and us. We need the team to learn what it feels like to win, and there won't be all of these "we should have won" games.

John Fox is "risk averse." Many coaches are "risk averse." Managing just about anything is managing risk. They are only "risk averse" when a play doesn't work. Second guessing after the fact is so damned easy. If we could get do overs every time, we'd all be great coaches.

DBT, this post is really funny coming from you. Come on man.

Too many games this year have had do or die moments at the end. And I cannot recall but one attempt in the OSU game where we called Nelson Spruce's number. That is horrid. You have to let your best player get a chance to win the game, or pull a penalty and give us a first down and closer to the endzone. But when push comes to shove, we seem to outthink ourselves and leave our best player moving as a decoy.

The heartbreaking loses suck, but I've had more fun at the two games I've attended this year, OSU and UCLA, than most games I've attended in the last decade. That's cool.

If we are feeling like this imagine Mac the night after the game. He probably didn't sleep.

After reading this thread I find it absolutely hilarious that the same people who burn him at the stake for too many risks in recruiting, to being too conservative on the field. Our offense doesn't suck. We played possibly the most talented secondary in the PAC-12 yesterday and put up numbers. Once our Defense gets enough speed in the back 7 and big body's in the trenches, I see a massive improvement to lower the dppg.

If we are feeling like this imagine Mac the night after the game. He probably didn't sleep.

After reading this thread I find it absolutely hilarious that the same people who burn him at the stake for too many risks in recruiting, to being too conservative on the field. Our offense doesn't suck. We played possibly the most talented secondary in the PAC-12 yesterday and put up numbers. Once our Defense gets enough speed in the back 7 and big body's in the trenches, I see a massive improvement to lower the dppg.
NM

Last edited:
Back