What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This just in

Yes - Pacific 12. Like Big 12 (which is different than The B1G). You wouldn't say The BIG.

We should have left it as the PCC.

Instead, we let a bunch of non-Olympic sport having whiners join over the years. Now we have to change our conference name every few years.

:saythat:

We should have left it as the PCC.

Instead, we let a bunch of non-Olympic sport having whiners join over the years. Now we have to change our conference name every few years.

:saythat:

Isn't CU only behind the 4 Cali schools for Olympic Sport national championships?

SchoolTeamIndividual
MenWomenTotalMenWomenTotal
Arizona811176284146
Arizona State1112236143104
California2663213562197
Colorado2022210612118
Oregon1412267824103
Oregon State30332739
Stanford6141102262177439
UCLA7239111162100262
USC841610030360363
Utah11920702494
Washington167551570
Washington State20280686
Conference total30814746414066142020

I was close. We're 6th in individual titles and 7th in team titles. This was through the 2012-13 year on the Pac-12 wiki page. So it wouldn't include CU's Men's XC national title last year or any of the other ones by the conference.

SchoolTeamIndividual
MenWomenTotalMenWomenTotal
Arizona811176284146
Arizona State1112236143104
California2663213562197
Colorado2022210612118
Oregon1412267824103
Oregon State30332739
Stanford6141102262177439
UCLA7239111162100262
USC841610030360363
Utah11920702494
Washington167551570
Washington State20280686
Conference total30814746414066142020

I was close. We're 6th in individual titles and 7th in team titles. This was through the 2012-13 year on the Pac-12 wiki page. So it wouldn't include CU's Men's XC national title last year or any of the other ones by the conference.

Oregon's numbers are way, way off. The wikipedia editor must be a duck.

Here are current numbers:

Untitled.jpg

Those are up to date, and taken from here: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/champs_records_book/Overall.pdf

In team championships nik was originally correct, Colorado is only behind the California schools, we're close enough to conceivably catch Cal, but Stanford, UCLA and USC are probably out of reach. ASU, and Oregon are right on our heals though.

In individual championships, Colorado is behind the California schools + Arizona.

What exactly is an Individual Mixed Championship? Doesn't Mixed kind of imply more than one person?

Considering Colorado and Utah have many, many more Individual Mixed entries, I suspect it is a reporting thing based on previous conferences.

What exactly is an Individual Mixed Championship? Doesn't Mixed kind of imply more than one person?

Considering Colorado and Utah have many, many more Individual Mixed entries, I suspect it is a reporting thing based on previous conferences.
Ski teams.

Ski, Fencing, and one other sport (cannot remember which) do not have a "men's team championship" or "women's team championship" they all compete and score for one team.

The individual titles are separated in competition though, so you have a men's slalom champion and women's slalom champion. But they aren't separated in the summary statistics. So, you have a "mixed individual champion," some of whom will be men that outperformed other men, and some will be women that outperformed other women.

Ski, Fencing, and one other sport (cannot remember which) do not have a "men's team championship" or "women's team championship" they all compete and score for one team.

The individual titles are separated in competition though, so you have a men's slalom champion and women's slalom champion. But they aren't separated in the summary statistics. So, you have a "mixed individual champion," some of whom will be men that outperformed other men, and some will be women that outperformed other women.

CU needs a fencing team.

Heard on the Hill: "Let's get hammered and go check out the epee finals against Notre Dame".

Heard in recruiting circles: "My son's buddy is deciding between fencing scolly offers from CU or Cleveland State..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_fencing_schools

CU needs a fencing team.

Heard on the Hill: "Let's get hammered and go check out the epee finals against Notre Dame".

Heard in recruiting circles: "My son's buddy is deciding between fencing scolly offers from CU or Cleveland State..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_fencing_schools
Epee fencing, we touch all over.

Edit to add: more than one school on that list does fencing as women's only. Seems to me that it could provide some cheap Title IX compliance.

Last edited:
Epee fencing, we touch all over.

Edit to add: more than one school on that list does fencing as women's only. Seems to me that it could provide some cheap Title IX compliance.

I'm down with that. Main problem is travel. Air Force and Stanford are the only D1 program west of the Mississippi. Almost all are on the Atlantic coast. Unless it was endowed, it's a cost suck.

That's a problem with a lot of sports that CU might consider for Title IX. For field hockey, there are so few programs in the west that the NorPac Conference (includes Cal and Stanford) has Appalachian State as a member to get to enough teams.

The best adds if we're looking for Title IX sports are Rowing and Sand Volleyball.

Rowing is Pac-12 sponsored, participated in by Cal, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington and Washington State... and has 20 women's scholarships that can be recruited like many programs do... taking 20 honor roll all-state athletes from within the state and teaching them how to row. Throw in 3 for Sand Volleyball (which supports our VB program and is participated in by the Pac-12) and we've got a great AD sport expansion plan.

With the 23 from Rowing and Sand Volleyball, CU could add Men's Lacrosse (12.6 scholarships) and Men's Soccer (9.9) for a total of 22.5 men's scholarships and actually improve our Title IX compliance.

Soccer is probably the next sport add.

Our lacrosse team is good but there is a huge jump from the competition they see now to the d1 level.

Back