What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This misnomer of "doing things the right way" can be oficially put to rest now.

A good "coach" emphasizes and actually coaches all aspects of being a succesful student athlete... Hawk is an incompetent jackass who does neither. His primary focus is on his own personal agenda - not what is best for the players or the University.

Additionally, the smart kids are not stupid enough to subject themselves to Hawks "coaching".

What playbook? This years'? Last years'? What plays are they running, anyway? This is the worst freaking excuse I've ever heard. You have a guy with physical talent sitting on the bench because he couldn't learn the playbook?!??!?! You gotta be kidding me. The coaches don't know the freaking playbook, which is evidenced by the fact that they keep changing it every year. Football isn't that complicated. You put the best players on the field and design plays that they can run. Period. This garbage about not knowing the playbook is beyond absurd.

:yeahthat: Mack Brown did exactly this for Radio. Result: MNC.

He could not learn the play book.

I refuse to accept this excuse for not putting an extremely athletic and skilled and experienced wide receiver on the field. If he doesn't know what to do on a play, have one of the other players or a coach tell him his assignment before the snap. You find a way to put the best players on the field (although, admittedly, we don't know if he was one of our best players because we never saw him).

Can someone give me a list of the players who have sat because they didn't know the playbook under Hawkins?

In my opinion it is a culture thing within the football program that results in a lot of failings both on and off the field. It is one thing to say that you do the little things right it is totally different to demand the very best of the people in your program.

Back in the old days DAN STAVELY was basically in charge of academics - he was a tough task master but also a loving and caring man who was a great example to players about doing things in the right way.

"Dan probably made the greatest impact on my life," said assistant football coach Brian Cabral, who was recruited to CU by Mr. Stavely in 1975. "He was like a father to me; he was my academic counselor, my life counselor. He is the big reason why I am who I am today. If I had any problems or concerns he was the guy I went to, and I think I can speak on behalf of all the players who were associated with coach Dan Stavely that he meant the same to them."

One of the first things that Dan Hawkins did at CU was fire the Team Chaplain - now I am not making this a religious thing - but Mike Spivey was the team Chaplain, a former Buff and NFL player who also was a minority and knew all the challenges that the players faced. He acted as a mentor and a counselor to the players.

The team needs mentors like Dan Stavely and Mike Spivey to help keep the young men grounded and be there when they need someone to counsel them.

FDNYCUPOSTER..jpg

Explain to me how a guy who took like 8 spring courses to get into CU is academically ineligible. This just doesn't make sense, seems like he had better guidance in JC than here.

In my opinion it is a culture thing within the football program that results in a lot of failings both on and off the field. It is one thing to say that you do the little things right it is totally different to demand the very best of the people in your program.

Back in the old days DAN STAVELY was basically in charge of academics - he was a tough task master but also a loving and caring man who was a great example to players about doing things in the right way.

One of the first things that Dan Hawkins did at CU was fire the Team Chaplain - now I am not making this a religious thing - but Mike Spivey was the team Chaplain, a former Buff and NFL player who also was a minority and knew all the challenges that the players faced. He acted as a mentor and a counselor to the players.

The team needs mentors like Dan Stavely and Mike Spivey to help keep the young men grounded and be there when they need someone to counsel them.

Wow. I was not aware of that... Any knowledge of the rationale behind the firing?

I was wondering the same thing, he did so much to get here to **** up now. If Hawk already has one foot out the door, maybe he is letting things slide. On the other hand, he has been letting alot slide since he got here like CU getting beat by Montana St, Toledo, and almost E. Washington.

Explain to me how a guy who took like 8 spring courses to get into CU is academically ineligible. This just doesn't make sense, seems like he had better guidance in JC than here.

On the flip side, is it a great surprise that a kid who needed 8 spring courses to get into CU would end up academically ineligible? Getting behind and letting **** pile up on him seems to be a trend, unfortunately...

On the flip side, is it a great surprise that a kid who needed 8 spring courses to get into CU would end up academically ineligible? Getting behind and letting **** pile up on him seems to be a trend, unfortunately...

It was not that he was behind. He did not have the right courses in order to transfer into CU (the old credits don't transfer if CU does not offer the Major issue). So it is incorrect to say he has a history of this.

It was not that he was behind. He did not have the right courses in order to transfer into CU (the old credits don't transfer if CU does not offer the Major issue). So it is incorrect to say he has a history of this.

Sorry. That's the first I've heard of that, honestly. Didn't mean to give the kid a bad rap.

A good "coach" emphasizes and actually coaches all aspects of being a succesful student athlete... Hawk is an incompetent jackass who does neither. His primary focus is on his own personal agenda - not what is best for the players or the University.

Additionally, the smart kids are not stupid enough to subject themselves to Hawks "coaching".
You have every right to be pissed at his record. But to say his primary focus is a "personal agenda" is total bull****. These are the kinds of assinine statements that piss me off and get me going.

Coach Stavely spoke at a men's function at our church. A wonderful man. I did not know that Hawkins had fired the Chaplain. That is disturbing. I'd like to know the reasoning behind that.

Coach Stavely spoke at a men's function at our church. A wonderful man. I did not know that Hawkins had fired the Chaplain. That is disturbing. I'd like to know the reasoning behind that.

He wasn't interested in taking care of little things. That will put you in Hawks doghouse right away. You gotta be committed to doing the little things.

I refuse to accept this excuse for not putting an extremely athletic and skilled and experienced wide receiver on the field. If he doesn't know what to do on a play, have one of the other players or a coach tell him his assignment before the snap. You find a way to put the best players on the field (although, admittedly, we don't know if he was one of our best players because we never saw him).

And why are you so confident that Simmons "extremely athletic and skilled and experienced?"

And why are you so confident that Simmons "extremely athletic and skilled and experienced?"

I said that because that's what you look for when recruiting a wide receiver, correct? Well he is 6'3" tall 201 lbs and runs a 4.45 forty yard dash, according to Rivals. This leads me to believe he is extremely athletic. I believe he is skilled because he was a 4-star Rivals prospect that our coaches recruited because they also thought he was skilled. I say experienced because he played JUCO ball, which is some college preparation.

Any other brain-busters?

EDIT:

From his official Bio from CUBuffs.com. Apparently he was also a very good basketball player. That helps the "extremely athletic" argument, doesn't it? The stats show skill and experience. I wonder if he had trouble memorizing playbooks in high school and JC.

AT INDEPENDENCE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (2007-08/Fr.-Soph.)-He is listed on the Rivals.com junior college top 100 list as the No. 35 player overall and No. 6 wide receiver. He earned first-team All-Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference honors at Independence Community College in Independence, Kan., as a sophomore in 2008. He was named preseason first-team All-America by The Sporting News. He had 31 receptions for 318 yards and a touchdown, two rushes for 17 yards, five punt returns for 55 yards and 16 kick returns for 367 yards. After a solid freshman season, he was doubled teamed with a cornerback and safety on almost every play of the season. As a freshman he had 60 receptions for 878 yards and eight touchdowns, 15 punt returns for 165 yards and one kick return for 12 yards. He was named the KJCCC player of the week in the third week of the season when he set school records with 12 receptions for 232 yards and he also caught an 80 yard touchdown. He led the National Junior College Athletic Association Region IV and KJCCC football players in receptions and receiving yards per game. Independence CC was 2-7 his sophomore season and 4-4 his freshman year under coach David Ward.

HIGH SCHOOL-He earned first-team All-State, All-Region and All-Area as a senior at Blackville-Hilda High School, when he set school records with 12 touchdown receptions for the season and career record for interceptions with 14. He earned All-Region and All-Area honors his junior season. In the first round of the state playoffs with BHHS leading Baptist Hill 7-6, he scored the game-clinching touchdown on a punt return late in the third quarter to make the score 14-6, which ended up being the final score. Against Barnwell his junior season, he converted on a key third down reception over three defenders as Blackville-Hilda defeated Barnwell, 21-20 in the final moments of the game. He earned a total of four letters on the football field and Blackville-Hilda was a combined 53-4 in his four years there under coach David Berry, including 11-2 his senior season, 15-0 and South Carolina 1A State Champions his junior season, 14-1 and state runners-up his sophomore season and 13-1 his freshman season with a run to the state semifinals. He also lettered four times on the basketball court and earned honorable mention All-Area as a junior and first-team All-Area and All-Region as a senior when he averaged 17 points and six rebounds per game. He also played baseball as a sophomore at Blackville-Hilda

Last edited:
Actually win a few games.

Well, one could argue he has, and that that is a big part of the problem.

By the way, am I the only one unaware of whatever has happened with Simmons? Aside from the allusions, what's the story?

Well, one could argue he has, and that that is a big part of the problem.

By the way, am I the only one unaware of whatever has happened with Simmons? Aside from the allusions, what's the story?

He's academically ineligible for next fall. Story on Buffzone.

I said that because that's what you look for when recruiting a wide receiver, correct? Well he is 6'3" tall 201 lbs and runs a 4.45 forty yard dash, according to Rivals. This leads me to believe he is extremely athletic. I believe he is skilled because he was a 4-star Rivals prospect that our coaches recruited because they also thought he was skilled. I say experienced because he played JUCO ball, which is some college preparation.

Any other brain-busters?

EDIT:

From his official Bio from CUBuffs.com. Apparently he was also a very good basketball player. That helps the "extremely athletic" argument, doesn't it? The stats show skill and experience. I wonder if he had trouble memorizing playbooks in high school and JC.
I think it was the aTm game. He was back to receive a punt. I was really excited to see what he could do. The punt was a bit short. He had time. Instead of running up a few yards and catching it, he let it bounce. It bounced over his head and rolled another 10 or 15 yards. Now, I'm not denying that he has great athletic ability. But maybe his head is a bit of a problem?

Any other brain-busters?

EDIT:

He was an athlete that only had offers from us and Kansas State. We know nothing about his abilities as far as they translate to FBS football. Our fanbase immediately attached unrealistic expectations to this player, and now instead of thinking perhaps they were a bit too optimistic, they blame Hawkins.

Now don't get me wrong, Hawkins is pathetic and he should have been fired already, but I will not blame him for Simmons leaving CU after only 2 catches.

I think it was the aTm game. He was back to receive a punt. I was really excited to see what he could do. The punt was a bit short. He had time. Instead of running up a few yards and catching it, he let it bounce. It bounced over his head and rolled another 10 or 15 yards. Now, I'm not denying that he has great athletic ability. But maybe his head is a bit of a problem?

Yes, that was one bad play out of hundreds last year. May have been nervous being on the field. That late in the season, there shouldn't be mistakes like that. I don't know if just made a mental mistake or if he didn't have enough practice (or game) reps at punt returner to be expected to do well back there. Who knows.

2 catches...that's what Simmons gave us. 2 catches.

And that's why I tried telling many of you to temper your expectations of a JUCO arrival.

Why don't you just say what you really wanted to say? "I TOLD YOU SO!! na na na-na-na I was right you were wrong." Are you happy he didn't pan out? Although I still don't think he was given a chance to do anything. He played in minimal amounts of games and situations. Maybe he wasn't great in practices, but I don't give a **** about practices. I care what happens in the games and I get tired of seeing receptions or punt returns for 3 yards because we have receivers too short or slow to get open on the field and taller faster receivers on the sideline because....they don't know the plays? or don't practice well? or they aren't that good? (well then why did we recruit them?).

He was an athlete that only had offers from us and Kansas State. We know nothing about his abilities as far as they translate to FBS football. Our fanbase immediately attached unrealistic expectations to this player, and now instead of thinking perhaps they were a bit too optimistic, they blame Hawkins.

Now don't get me wrong, Hawkins is pathetic and he should have been fired already, but I will not blame him for Simmons leaving CU after only 2 catches.

You're right. We didn't know his abilities as they translate to FBS football and we never will because he never saw the field. We sure do know the abilities of some other receivers and punt returners and those leave much to be desired. Why did we recruit this guy if we weren't going to try to use him? Shouldn't our recruiters have had an idea that his skills won't translate to FBS football? Or asked his coaches if he had problems remembering plays? You are automatically calling him a failure for having 2 catches last season. I would agree if the ball were thrown to him and he dropped 10 and caught 2. But that didn't happen. He barely saw the field and when he did he barely saw the ball.

Do we know that Simmons was a star? No. But we did know that several of the other WRs who got more opportunities than him -- I won't name names because some of the posters here will turn the debate into the inappropriateness of doing so in order to change the subject -- were not Big 12 quality players. Simmons was never given a chance to produce because he rarely played. It's not like he had a bunch of drops or made a bunch of bad plays.

Vertical threats on teams with quarterbacks that can't throw down the field are going to find it hard to make plays. Randy Moss circa 1998 wouldn't put up big numbers for the 2009 CU football team. Fact is, not a single player on this offense has put up impressive numbers since Hawkins took over because the qb play and the OL have been, by and large, far below average for a D1 football team and the scheme has been beyond questionable. Outside of Hugh Charles in 2007, who barely got there because he was inexplicably in Hawkins doghouse, we have no 1000 yard rushers and certainly no one even close to 1000 receiving yards during that time frame, and it's not as if the reason for that is that we have had great balance and multiple talented players at the skill positions. No one individually has produced because the offense as a whole has been extremely inept.

Simmons only having 2 catches last year says a lot more about Dan Hawkins than it does Andre Simmons. One of those two catches was one of our longest plays from scrimmage all year. He barely saw the field. I won't accept the argument that some of the guys who say way more burn than him were in any way better than him. Dan Hawkins plays favorites with below-average players.

the second-year CU coach said he simply didn't see a need for a full-time chaplain this season."I think it's very important, but I also think there are different avenues for that, different places for that and different times for that," Hawkins said. "We want to make it available to those who want it, but don't want to make anyone do anything they don't want to do."
Hawkins actually got rid of a lot of staff that were linked to the past. Then of course he complained last year that everyone was new when he got here - failing to point out he was the reason everyone was new.

Do we know that Simmons was a star? No. But we did know that several of the other WRs who got more opportunities than him -- I won't name names because some of the posters here will turn the debate into the inappropriateness of doing so in order to change the subject -- were not Big 12 quality players. Simmons was never given a chance to produce because he rarely played. It's not like he had a bunch of drops or made a bunch of bad plays.

Vertical threats on teams with quarterbacks that can't throw down the field are going to find it hard to make plays. Randy Moss circa 1998 wouldn't put up big numbers for the 2009 CU football team. Fact is, not a single player on this offense has put up impressive numbers since Hawkins took over because the qb play and the OL have been, by and large, far below average for a D1 football team and the scheme has been beyond questionable. Outside of Hugh Charles in 2007, who barely got there because he was inexplicably in Hawkins doghouse, we have no 1000 yard rushers and certainly no one even close to 1000 receiving yards during that time frame, and it's not as if the reason for that is that we have had great balance and multiple talented players at the skill positions. No one individually has produced because the offense as a whole has been extremely inept.

Simmons only having 2 catches last year says a lot more about Dan Hawkins than it does Andre Simmons. One of those two catches was one of our longest plays from scrimmage all year. He barely saw the field. I won't accept the argument that some of the guys who say way more burn than him were in any way better than him. Dan Hawkins plays favorites with below-average players.
I would think it is pretty safe to assume that he consistantly ran incorrect routes in practice. I'm assuming that, I don't know nor have I heard that. I guess if you guys can assume he should be getting playing time then I can assume he isn't getting it done in practice, can't I?

Last edited:
I would think it is pretty safe to assume that he consistantly ran incorrect routes in practice. I'm not sure how we can judge player decisions when we don't see practices?

That is certainly not outside the realm of possibility. None of us actually "know" for sure. That being said, it is suspect that "knowing the playbook" is used over and over and over as a reason to bench our most-heralded players in favor of walkons and players with debatable raw skills.

I would think it is pretty safe to assume that he consistantly ran incorrect routes in practice. I'm assuming that, I don't know nor have I heard that. I guess if you guys can assume he should be getting playing time then I can assume he isn't getting it done in practice, can't I?

Don't "assume" it makes an ass out of you and me.

Playbook? We have two plays......1. Hand off 10 yds in backfield for 2 yd loss. 2. QB rolls 15 yds deep to the right sideline for incompletion or 2 yd gain. How hard can that be to learn?

Back