What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This misnomer of "doing things the right way" can be oficially put to rest now.

Man, I CAN"T WAIT for the season to start! :lol:

I can't wait for it to be over already. :smile2:

:huh:

:cry:

Rugged said:
You're right. We didn't know his abilities as they translate to FBS football and we never will because he never saw the field. We sure do know the abilities of some other receivers and punt returners and those leave much to be desired. Why did we recruit this guy if we weren't going to try to use him? Shouldn't our recruiters have had an idea that his skills won't translate to FBS football? Or asked his coaches if he had problems remembering plays? You are automatically calling him a failure for having 2 catches last season. I would agree if the ball were thrown to him and he dropped 10 and caught 2. But that didn't happen. He barely saw the field and when he did he barely saw the ball.

^^^^^This^^^^^ Hit the nail on the head.

Actually imo, his 45 yard catch against CSU, and the end around that gained 10-15 yards against ?(forget the game), were enough for me to see. The dude is a play maker plain and simple. Absolutely positively no excuse for him not being on the field. If he's having trouble with the playbook then draw up a few plays based on his skill set and get him the **** on the field. He should have been returning punts last year at the very least.

No one individually has produced because the offense as a whole has been extremely inept.

Agreed. I mean, our offense has been absolutely brutal to watch lately. Leading WRs last year: McKnight 76, Simas 43, Espinoza 13, Jefferson 6, Ebner 3, Simmons 2, Wright 1. Are those normal numbers for a college team? One that barely broke 1000 yards rushing as a team?

Simas didn't get much PT too, but when he started playing more consistently he lit it up. The dude was a baller (too bad about his off-the-field issues).

Hawk didn't play what we perceive as his top talent as much as we think he should have. He has to "do things the right way" and he does have to win. The latter is what keeps his job though, as I suspect he'll find out at the end of the season.

Oh, and Simmons took it to our best CB in man-coverage in the scrimmage. Flat out out-ran our fastest CB and then the safety.

Yeah, he has/had no potential. SIGH.

I would think it is pretty safe to assume that he consistantly ran incorrect routes in practice. I'm assuming that, I don't know nor have I heard that. I guess if you guys can assume he should be getting playing time then I can assume he isn't getting it done in practice, can't I?

That may be. So why didn't the coaches correct his mistakes? Why didn't the QB correct his mistakes? Why didn't an experienced receiver, such as Scotty McKnight, help correct his mistakes? And if all these things did happen and he still didn't get it, then why didn't the coaches think to send him in on a play or two and tell him exactly what to do on that play? Is this a team game where you help your teammates understand so you have a better chance to win, or is it everyone for themselves? I guess we can assume things all day, but I do know this guy never ran the wrong or right route when he was holding his helmet on the sideline.

Oh, and Simmons took it to our best CB in man-coverage in the scrimmage. Flat out out-ran our fastest CB and then the safety.

Yeah, he has/had no potential. SIGH.

Yeah, but that was probably the wrong route....duh.

Maybe this was Simmons' master plan to get a redshirt year so that we could get him a coach that would put him on the field.

Brilliant.

The problem is not Hawk, or the AD, or the Herbst Center, it is University and perhaps Colorado wide. Many have brought up Mac's regime and how he mentored his kids through school. Coach Mac also had an entire University behind him, starting with President Gordon Gee. Since those two dynamic figures left campus, the CU Athletic Dept. has not been the same.
Today, I grant you that Hawk should be actively engaged with all of his players and should recruit ones that could stay in school. However, the landscape has changed. This is CU's problem:

1) CU's academic "window" to get questionable kids in is a lot smaller than Oklahoma, Texas, and yes, even, Cal. "Window" has replaced terms like "Prop 48". Texas admitted 17 kids through their academic window vs. CU got 2. This is not a coaching issue, it is a system issue.

#2 and #3 are somewhat interchangeable:

2) Once all athletes are admitted to CU, they are expected to meet minimum requirement. However CU does not have a track that has allowed athletes to skate by. There are well know majors at kNu like Criminal Justice, FSU - communications, etc. The reason we don't get a lot of JUCOs is that we don't transfer PE credits.

3) Since we don't have "Rocks for Football Players", etc we need an army of tutors. This is where CU comes up very short, but perhaps on the moral side of the fence. Many have referenced the Herbst center and the availability of help and bordering on academic fraud. kNu has the resources to take care of their athletes and can still cross the line.

Bottom line - Until the Buffs have a winning commitment from the President, Regents, University Faculty, Alumni and Student Body we will be mediocre in any league.

Maybe this was Simmons' master plan to get a redshirt year so that we could get him a coach that would put him on the field.

Brilliant.

I actually do feel bad for all the players who have gotten screwed over the past four years.

The problem is not Hawk, or the AD, or the Herbst Center, it is University and perhaps Colorado wide. Many have brought up Mac's regime and how he mentored his kids through school. Coach Mac also had an entire University behind him, starting with President Gordon Gee. Since those two dynamic figures left campus, the CU Athletic Dept. has not been the same.
Today, I grant you that Hawk should be actively engaged with all of his players and should recruit ones that could stay in school. However, the landscape has changed. This is CU's problem:

1) CU's academic "window" to get questionable kids in is a lot smaller than Oklahoma, Texas, and yes, even, Cal. "Window" has replaced terms like "Prop 48". Texas admitted 17 kids through their academic window vs. CU got 2. This is not a coaching issue, it is a system issue.

2) Once all athletes are admitted to CU, they are expected to meet minimum requirement. However CU does not have a track that has allowed athletes to skate by. There are well know majors at kNu like Criminal Justice, FSU - communications, etc. The reason we don't get a lot of JUCOs is that we don't transfer PE credits.

3) Since we don't have "Rocks for Football Players", etc we need an army of tutors. This is where CU comes up very short, but perhaps on the moral side of the fence. Many have referenced the Herbst center and the availability of help and bordering on academic fraud. kNu has the resources to take care of their athletes and can still cross the line.

Bottom line - Until the Buffs have a winning commitment from the President, Regents, University Faculty, Alumni and Student Body we will be mediocre in any league.
This is EXACTLY the problem and what I've been argueing. The "window" is there for the general student population. A certain percentage of students are allowed in under "special" circumstances. Prior to "the scandal", the football program was allowed to admit several players per year using that stipulation. Under Betsy and the new recruiting restrictions, they changed the rules whereby the athletic programs were required to limit scholarship players admitted through this "window" to the overall school percentage. Thus, if the percentage is, say, 10%, then only 10% of athletes are admitted this way. So, if you have 20 scholarships, you can admit only 2 players this way. And, yeah, Cal, a school with very high academic standards, does not put a limit on special admissions to athletes.

If CU wants to be a big time program, the administration must re-think this policy.

So why didn't the coaches correct his mistakes? Why didn't the QB correct his mistakes? Why didn't an experienced receiver, such as Scotty McKnight, help correct his mistakes? And if all these things did happen and he still didn't get it, then why didn't the coaches think to send him in on a play or two and tell him exactly what to do on that play?

C'mon, Rugged. For someone who is all about character, why in all of your words is there nothing about Simmons stepping up and taking the responsibility?

Sometimes the hypocrisy around here is unbelievable.

The coaching staff saw him every day in practice. As crappy as Hawkins is, he knows much more of Simmons' abilities, or lack of abilities, than anyone on this board.

The coaching staff saw him every day in practice. As crappy as Hawkins is, he knows much more of Simmons' abilities, or lack of abilities, than anyone on this board.

I Don't know if hawk does or not, considering these past 4 years, your post is pure speculation.

I'm really sick of hearing these excuses.

#1)
a) If Hawkins would show the admissions side he could keep a kid eligible, the window would open, much as it did during Macs tenure. The fact is, the admin has no reason to admit borderline athletes because they wash out. If he wants to get rid of that excuse he needs to keep players eligible.
b) Hawkins knows the academic limitations he's up against, he needs to understand that and recruit players who will fit with CU. If a player has to finish 8 classes over the summer JUST to get into school, that should be a major red flag. Is the 2% chance that player will ever see the field worth the risk of looking like an ass when he washes out.

#2 and #3)
Everyone always brings this up. CU is a great school because it's top majors are tops in the country but CU has plenty of bargain basement options for those looking to skate their way through. Sure CU doesn't offer PE, but there are plenty of classes and majors at CU that you can sleep your way to a C and minimal effort will net you an A or a B. It's not that hard. It really isn't. CU has the resources to take care of their athletes and any student for that matter.

Bottom line - Until the AD (and primarily Hawkins) proves that increased commitment from the school will pay off, there's no incentive to let in any athlete on the edge. The school isn't the problem here, it's the excuse. The coach and the program is the problem.

C'mon, Rugged. For someone who is all about character, why in all of your words is there nothing about Simmons stepping up and taking the responsibility?

Sometimes the hypocrisy around here is unbelievable.

I agree, Simmons does have responsibility here. And that is to do his schoolwork (which he did not and the blame is on him) and play football, which he did not do and I'm not sure if he is to blame or the coaches are to blame. That is the discussion. Apparently the reason he didn't play was because he couldn't learn the playbook. Shouldn't the people who created the playbook be able to teach it to the people who need to know it if it is not already understood? If your player doesn't know how to do something, you teach (coach) him to do it. I haven't seen much player improvement the past four years so maybe I'm asking too much here.

Maybe he did suck in practice. We don't know. However, were our other receiving options (besides McKnight and Simas) any better? There has to be some underlying issue. Maybe he is uncoachable. That might be why he also only had 2 catches in each season of football he has ever played.

To say that Hawkins knows something is ridiculous. He merely thinks he knows stuff.

Back